Let's talk Batman Comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk Batman Comics

Or more specifically, recommend me Batman comics.

I've always liked Batman but on the run up to Arkham Asylum being released I have been buying a lot of the graphics novels and I'd really like some recommendations if anyone has some to share!

I have read/bought:
    • Dark Knight Returns
    • Year One
    • Long Halloween
    • Dark Victory
    • Haunted Knight
    • Killing Joke
    • Arkham Asylum
    I like dark and moody Batman solving crimes in Gotham. I struggle to like Robin and I really don't get on with the rest of DC's characters so at the moment I'm not really into reading JLA and stuff like that.

Has anyone got any recommendations for what I should get next? I've been out of the comic loop for a while so I'm not sure about which writers and artists to look out for.

Any help would be much appreciated!

would recommend the batman vampire trilogy i really enjoyed them

red rain
    bloodstorm
    crimson mist

Strictly not batman as such....but the comic speeding bullets i like (what if superman became batman)

Comment

The Man Who Laughs is a worthy additon; decent early Joker/Batman story. I've not read Dark Knight Strikes Again but that might be worth a look too.

Comment

personally for Dark Knight Strikes Again i thought the art was really awful.....just not my cup of tea at all

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

I've heard lots of bad things about Dark Knight Strikes Again so I'm avoiding it. Apparently All Star Batman is terrible as well?

Comment

You need to read the Batman RIP story arch. Its writen by Grant Morrison who tends to write all the best stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by BeyondJumpFish View Post
              You need to read the Batman RIP story arch. Its writen by Grant Morrison who tends to write all the best stuff.
              Exaclty what I was going to recommend.
              Brilliant story & well worth reading.

I'll also recommend Hush which is fantastic in my opinion.

Also look for...

A Death in the Family - my first great Batman story
              Killing Joke - Bbest Joker story ever
              Sword of Azrael

Not sure if it ever got released as a GN but look for the Knightfall/Knightquest/Knightsend saga.
              It's the story arc where Bane first appears...excellent saga that went on for about a year I think & an awesome read, this really kick started my love of Batman & got me back into comics after a huge layoff.

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
                Or more specifically, recommend me Batman comics.

I've always liked Batman but on the run up to Arkham Asylum being released I have been buying a lot of the graphics novels and I'd really like some recommendations if anyone has some to share!

I have read/bought:
                • Dark Knight Returns
                • Year One
                • Long Halloween
                • Dark Victory
                • Haunted Knight
                • Killing Joke
                • Arkham Asylum
                !

I'm looking to start reading the Batman comics too, where's a good place to start from the list that you gave, or does it not really matter?

Comment

Knightfall was released as a two part graphic novel. It was the story that got me back into Batman after a long absence - I recommend it.

You might need to read the Azrael saga behind it to get the most out of the second part but it's not utterly essential.

Also Hush is another good suggestion. The fan reaction was very split but I liked it
                  Last edited by Spatial; 14-08-2009, 13:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Spatial101 View Post
                    Knightfall was released as a two part graphic novel. It was the story that got me back into Batman after a long absence - I recommend it.

You might need to read the Azrael saga behind it to get the most out of the second part but it's not utterly essential.

Also Hush is another good suggestion. The fan reaction was very split but I liked it
                    I actually picked up the Azrael GN after really getting into the Character during that saga, I loved the darker nature & I do feel Sword of Azrael is a deffinite read.

Like you the Knightfall saga was what really got me back into comics in general, the writing was brilliant & the whole story just worked so well.

Also a bit on the sillier side but look out for Batman Vs Predator as well, thats a pretty good arc & bit of fun from the normal stuff oh & I think there was a Batman Vs Judge Dredd at one point too

Neil

Comment

I will second what a few other people have said, Hush is quality.

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
                        I'm looking to start reading the Batman comics too, where's a good place to start from the list that you gave, or does it not really matter?
                        That list can be read start to finish as a pretty good chronology I believe.

Dark Knight came before Year One but the story takes place at the end of the saga. Batman is 60 so you could stick that at the end but Year One, Long Halloween, Dark Victory and Haunted Knight all follow each other.

Comment

Like you Chopemon, I have also just started reading Batman comics due to AA sparking some more interest. I finished last night Batman Year one which I thought was quite good and today I picked up The Dark Knight Returns; with which I would like some opinions.

I understand that people say it's the one of the greatest Batman novels ever, but I had a flick through in the shop and saw that Robin is in it as well as some superheros from other DC work. This kind of put me off a bit, as I normally just like to read about Batman alone, but what are other people thoughts on it, does the other superheros really add to the book?

Comment

I read Dark Knight Returns last year and loved it. The charcters you mention do actually add to the story (can't talk much about it without ruining the story), especially another certain DC character. It is a really good Batman comic, one of the best ones in my opinion. Would also recommend picking up The Long Halloween if you get the chance and The Killing Joke, both superb.

Comment

Cheers for the Impressions Ezee. I'm looking forward to Rreading it tonight.

Another batman comic I've heard of is Batman: Gotham by gaslight. I haven't read it myself but it's ment to be good. It's an old 1800's take of Bruce Wayne as Batman as well as some of his enemies.
                              Last edited by Malc; 14-08-2009, 20:42.

Comment

Working...
                              X