NTSC Wii/RGB UK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NTSC Wii/RGB UK?

Hi guys. I've tried searching and looking on the Wii H&A FAQ but to no avail have I found my answer. I just bought an NTSC Wii and was wondering, with my UK TV (that can do NTSC) can I hook up my Wii with a UK RGB Scart cable made for the UK Wii?

And according to the Wii FAQ, just to confirm, my UK Gamecube RGB scart cable will work on the NTSC Wii, right?

Thanks

You can, but it won't be in RGB, probably just s-video (you might have to specify that in the TV settings though, it might default to composite).

You can't use the GC cable though, the ports are different shapes.

Comment

k cool thanks for the info. just one more quick one, it hasnt actually arrived yet, and to make sure it will work out of the box (don't worry, a voltage converter is included) will the composite cable work in my tv? i thought it does but jsut need confirmation.

thanks again.

Comment

It should do, yes.

Comment

Cheers guys, ever helpful, as always.

Comment

Composite will work. I used to use my Japanese Wii with my UK bits - psu, remote, composite and component cables - without any problems at all.

Following on from what honeymustard said, I imagine the Wii is like the previous Nintendo consoles where the UK machines had RGB but the US/JPN ones didn't (but had s-video)

Comment

I'm afraid theres abit of misinformation here

Firstly, its important to realise that both NTSC and PAL Wii Consoles can output all video modes, thats Composite, S-Video, RGB Scart and Component. However the actual available video modes is set in software, and is different for each region:-

By default NTSC Wii consoles will output:-
              Composite, S-Video and Component

and by default PAL Wii consoles will output:-
              Composite, RGB Scart and Component

Which means if you tried to use an RGB Scart cable on an NTSC Wii you would likely not be able to see the Wii menu screen (Or possibly just a 'red image' due to the Wii trying to send S-Video over RGB Scart, because the Wii's S-Video signals dont match the pins needed for a normal Scart S-Video connection)

You can of course use the Composite Video signal over an RGB Scart cable (Only if you can overide your TV defaulting to RGB) but then whats the point in having an RGB Scart cable! You may aswell just use the Composite cable that comes in the box with the Wii.

Also, if you use homebrew apps to boot import games (PAL Games in this case) they also override the Wii's default video modes. If your play a PAL game on an NTSC Wii it will switch the consoles video mode to RGB Scart when you boot the game. Likewise if you boot an NTSC game on a PAL Wii it will switch to S-Video when the game loads.

Composite and Component connections are unaffected as they are the same for all regions (Apart from the fact that the Composite signal will still switch between NTSC and PAL encoding, but almost all TV's support both now)

I have heard that some homebrew apps can now 'force' the desired video mode when booting import Wii games, but I havent tested this and have no idea how well it works.

Bottom line is, if you want to use an import Wii or play import Wii games your best bet is to use either a Composite or Component connection for ultimate compatibility
              Last edited by Link83; 01-06-2009, 14:23.

Comment

Ah ok, my tvs only a small CRT so doesn't have component input, so will have to go with composite, which I don't mind as its so small I can't really notice the difference. I will be buying a component lead for when I take it round to my friends house though as he has a huge HDTV and to me Wiis look awful going through the bundled cable. A component bought in this country will work right?

Comment

Yep it will, that's what I use.

Comment

Working...
                  X