Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dingoo A320 review - Contains big pics (sorry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, my Dingoo arrived yesterday and I've had a while to tinker around with it.

First off, the design is great. This is exactly the kind of size I want this kind of device to be; small enough to fit into your bag or pocket but large enough to not give you hand cramps. In that respect it's a big improvement over the GP2X, which was a little on the chunky side.

The d-pad is also a massive improvement, although it's not 100% perfect. It's basically an exact copy of the DS lite pad (someone has even compared the two and they're exactly the same size) but it lies a little lower in the casing, which sometimes makes diagonals hard. Still, if you're not playing fighting games then it's great.

Sadly, emulation is still at a very early stage. I know people have been trying to put a positive spin on the performance of the bundled emulators but when placed alongside stuff on the PSP/GP2X (which - lest we forget - have had months and months of development time expended on them) they're shockingly poor. Even the NES emulator - which is the best of the bunch when it comes to speed - showcases some unsightly graphical errors.

The fault isn't with the hardware - it's got the power - but rather in the way in which the emulators have been ported to the device. It looks as if Dingoo's coders have just ported the existing emulators and not done a great deal to optimise them.

I've had a word with Craig (who runs GBAX.com, the company that is distributing the device in the UK - as well as the Pandora and Wiz!) and he says he's trying to drum up support within the homebrew community to get people working on fixing these emulation issues. He's going to establish a Dingoo site that will give people the tools they need to get things moving, as well as providing a platform for people to post the latest emulators. Just as was the case with the GP2X, this is going to take time, but the potential is there.

Sadly it looks as if this is the Dingoo's only hope as the company behind the machine has basically said its not producing any more emulators.

Comment

found some video from youtube for the dingoo A320 looks pretty awesome

Last edited by MisterBubbles; 14-05-2009, 12:28.

Comment

There is a good Wiz and Dingoo comparison video review over on the gbax.co.uk main page.

Comment

Yeah, Craig's video review is excellent.

Sadly, he's now being targeted by some sections of the GP2X/Wiz community as a figure of hate because he's dared to support a rival machine - this is despite the fact that Craig is the official UK stockist for GPH products and has done wonders in promoting the GP32, GP2X, etc.

The mind boggles, honestly.
          Last edited by Duddyroar; 14-05-2009, 13:12.

Comment

I saw the comparison vid between the Dinghoo & Wiz the other day, although the Dinghoo looks nice I reckon the Wiz is way to go in terms of future proof and software support. However I would also like to see the Dinghoo a success simply because its cheaper and doesn't have 2 damned dpads.
            Last edited by Morph; 14-05-2009, 13:27.

Comment

The Wiz defo has the brighter future but things are slowly happening 'behind the scenes' in the Dingoo community and soon it should have linux running on it, which will naturally open the doors to coders.

The Wiz obviously can count on the past development of GP2X software but from what I've heard the d-pad is terrible and the screen suffers from horrible tearing problems. Apparently it's something to do with the fact that the screen is actually a portrait display (like the iPhones) that has be turned on its side, so the machine is actually rotating the image - or something. TBH i'm not 100% sure what it's all about but I do know that the GP2X coding experts are looking into it now and they're pretty baffled.

Comment

thats the problems with Gamepark they make silly compromises, the GP2X also had a bad analogue. What good is a games device with poor controls? anyway this is the vid I saw, it also showcases a rather impressive looking 3D Alone in the Dark type game for the Dinghoo..

Comment

That game is pretty nice actually, although it's actually a port of an N-Gage game, I believe. There's also a racing game pre-loaded that looks nice too.

Comment

The Dingoo has it's problems as well. There's a software screen tearing issue in the Mega Drive emulator. Also, there's a firmware problem where you can't press the Y and B buttons together (jumping while charging a shot in Megaman, or jumping and holding a shell in Mario becomes impossible).

I've heard that a custom firmware is in development to fix the Y+B issue and the manufacturers are aware of it.

I've ordered a Dingoo myself after reading around despite these problems.

Craigx is actually sending out free Dingoos to developers to drum up support and ZodTTD is working on a version of MAME for A320. I think people who have signed up to develop Pandora applications will be putting their weight behind this device while the Pandora is still in production.

My feeling is that the Wiz is just going to get ports of GP2X software but ultimately there'll be little new development done on it.

Comment

oooh MAME on it sounds awesome.

I'm currently using mine mostly for Tiny Toons, Contra 3 & Adventures of Batman & Robin.

I havent played on the MD emulator for weeks because the tearing is soooooo bad.

I do need to get the PC Engine Emu running though.

I also need to get back into the scene with regards to the custom firmwares & overclock now to see where they get us.

I'm hoping we get a new Megadrive Emulator to be honest.

Neil

Comment

Tons of Dingoo A320 information here: http://a320.bluwiki.com/
                        Custom firmwares seem to come out of here: http://www.dingoo-digital.com/

GP2x Wiz file updates are here: http://archive.gp2xwiz.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi

Comment

BooBoo from the Spanish GP2X scene is attempting to get a dual boot kernal with the Dingoo Firmware and a Linux running on the Dingoo. He has made great progress and with a bit more effort a full functioning Linux port should be in the Dingoo scene within a few weeks. Once that is done then I dont think there is a choice. The Dingoo is far cheaper, has better controls for gaming and is not far behind the Wiz speed wise for it to matter much when emulating older systems.

Comment

Received my Dingoo A320 in the post yesterday.

Really impressed with it so far. The build quality is nice and quite comfortable to hold, though I would have moved the headphone port myself. The screen is fantastic and the games look fantastic on it. It's been a joy to play retro games again which I previously owned for consoles/handhelds like the NES, SNES, GBA, etc.

The only downside is that I'm finding the SNES emulator to be rather variable in what it can and cannot run, whereas games like Unirally run almost perfectly others like F Zero are not so good. I'm a fussy get though! Also the Mega Drive emulator is even worse! Out of all the Sonic platformers I put on the Dingoo only the first game ran acceptably for me. Does anyone have a solution to this?

Of course I knew a lot about the Dingoo before I purchased one and anticipate the emulators will improve in time. The developing community is growing and delivering more by the day and apparently one has got ScummVM and Doom running on the Dingoo (I know Doom roms have been particularly tricky to run on the Dingoo). It's thanks to this first play I heard about this handheld and I'm very excited now I finally own one at last! Great impressions Soundwave.

Comment

Have you tried the overlocking app mate? It solves a lot of the issues with the MD emulator. It's not perfect still but is a bit improvement. Mind you, I think we'll be seeing a flood of apps now that linux is working.

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar View Post
                                Have you tried the overlocking app mate? It solves a lot of the issues with the MD emulator. It's not perfect still but is a bit improvement. Mind you, I think we'll be seeing a flood of apps now that linux is working.
                                I have thought about it but I'm still a bit iffy about trying it out to be honest, depends if I'm really that desperate to play Sonic! If it can be enabled / disabled at will and delivers a lot of benefits to the MD emulator as you say there's nothing wrong with trying it out. Hope it's easy to install?

Comment

Working...
                                X