Where can I find out about import VAT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where can I find out about import VAT?

I'm considering importing some SFIV arcade sticks for the x360, since all UK retailers seems to have sold out. But what's the price limit for import VAT? Back home, it's a paltry 20 quid, which makes importing anything a bit of a hassle, particularly now that VGPlus and Play-Asia has been sussed out by the authorities. But what about this verdant isle, oh! Albion, Albion emerald green?

What's the rate of the import VAT, and what's the value limit before it kicks in? Eventually, any good tips for circumventing Her Majesty's border guards? I've checked the customs website, obviously, but I couldn't find any limit and besides there seemed to be different rules for EU and the rest of the world.

Halp!

Here you are (and here)

Comment

Wow. That's some pretty monumental privileging and protectionism of local corporations right there. Import VAT on goods valued above ?18?!

Well, I guess that means I'll have to wait until Amazon or Play gets fresh stock ...

Comment

A rule of thumb with VAT is that the more expensive your shipping method, the more likely you are to be hit. As it's a big bulky box I'd be suprised if you aren't hit.

A customs charge will add ~£8 + VAT costs to an item and it can add a week or two to delivery times.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. That was what caused me to pause and think -- two years ago, I tried ordering two Hori Real Arcade Pros from Play-Asia. The delivery was stopped by customs, FedEx failed to notify me, I never managed to retrieve the package from customs, FedEx took the fifty ****ing dollars I paid them to ship it to my door and Play-Asia claimed the package had been delivered as per their obligation. When I contacted FedEx, they failed to get back to me. I decided to vote with my wallet and I haven't used FedEx or Play-Asia since.

I actually get a bit mad just thinking about it. Same with DHL just the other day. My hard drive craps out, I immediately order a new one because I need a hard drive to work, pay through the nose for overnight delivery, receive the parcel from my neighbour (!) five days later with absolutely no notification whatsoever as to why the shipment was late and no offer cover my expenses. DHL is now also on my **** list, which leaves me with very few options in having stuff delivered to my door.

</whine>

Where would you recommend getting the new sticks? I'm thinking of going with Amazon or Play once they get stock, since I've got nothing but good experiences with them, but it wouldn't hurt if any of you guys could suggest a better alternative.

Comment

Working...
          X