Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
    Well, my heart got the better of my head, I just sent them the following:
    This is one example of many where I think you need to have more respect for your teacher's rights. With this in mind I am quitting as of today and won't be at the school tomorrow."
    Thats looks ok mate, but if i had to reword it in any way i would have changed the last sentence, as saying "quitting", can sound flippant or so i have been told.

"This is one example of many where I think you need to have more respect for your teacher's rights. With this is mind, i have sadly been left with no alternative but to resign from my post with immediate effect." (or effective at the end of the day whatever etc etc).

Saying "sadly" deflects the blame to your employers as it looks like you enjoyed your actual job, but your employers made it unworkable.

See what they say anyway. Try not to be arsey with them though. Just be polite if they request you in for a face to face to explain

Comment

They sent back a reply basically saying that the contract terms still apply as I continued to work there after it expired (at least they admitted it expired!) and to check with a lawyer if I need confirmation. Also that I still need to work a three week notice period. I'm just going to ignore it... bye bye 40,000 yen but I'm happy to be free.

Comment

Well, if you ever need an example to teach the concept of "bull****" in future, you can use that email.

With former Nova teachers looking for employment, it's not like they'll be without a replacement for long if they get desperate.

Comment

In my very first mail (before things got heated) I told them I had passed their number on to another teacher I know that is looking for work - think I've probably hurt his chances now though!

Comment

You say this is an American - owned family school. Is it a one or two branch eikaiwa, with an American married to a Japanese, by any chance? Because every foreigner who has gone native that I've ever met has had the most massive Napoleon complex, and I wonder if that might have happened to the owner of this school.

Comment

Originally posted by Stroppy View Post
              With former Nova teachers looking for employment, it's not like they'll be without a replacement for long if they get desperate.
              I think most have either carried on at G.com NOVA, found ALT jobs or gone home.

Comment

Originally posted by Stroppy View Post
                You say this is an American - owned family school. Is it a one or two branch eikaiwa, with an American married to a Japanese, by any chance? Because every foreigner who has gone native that I've ever met has had the most massive Napoleon complex, and I wonder if that might have happened to the owner of this school.
                My god, for a second there I thought you were going to say you've worked there before - that is the exact situation. The american guy lords over the whole affair without ever actually doing an ounce of work. He quite often bangs on the door while I am teaching a lesson to indicate that he thinks I should have finished already... I've never met anyone so ignorant or rude in all my life.

Comment

@Kryss, yes, I don't think there are too many sitting doing nothing any more, but judging by the number of coffee shop lessons I see in Tokyo, the privates market seems busier than ever, so I'm sure there will be plenty of takers for some part time work.

@Darwock - nope, never worked there but can spot the type. I had an interview in my first year in Japan, when I worked for Shane, for a job with a one branch school owned by a Japanese woman, who served as receptionist for the students, and her Canadian husband who "managed" the teaching side. It was all going fine until he tried to pressure me into signing the contract on the spot and blew his top when I said I wanted to think about overnight.

I never called them back.

Comment

Working...
                  X