Each console's most significant game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post

SNES is Mario World defo but for me personally and everyone I knew it was all about Street Fighter 2.

Street Fighter 2. that was the only reason i bought a snes..

Comment

GC - I'd prolly plump for Resi 4
      DC - Deffo Shenmue
      DS - Brain Training (DQ IX is pretty niche outside Japan)
      SNES - I'd personally go for Mario World but Street Fighter could easily replace it
      MD - Sonic (maybe John Madden if you're American)
      MS - Sonic again? Or maybe Wonder Boy III
      Saturn - Could be any from Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Cop, Nights or even PDSaga
      PC Engine - Personally (due to nostalgia ) The Kung-Fu or maybe Sapphire
      GB - could only be Tetris

Comment

Originally posted by r3z View Post
        When I think of the Master System the only game that stands out is Alex Kidd, due to it being built in to some versions.
        I considered that, as well as Shinobi (still the best ninja game ever for me).

Great game though it was, surely the lack of copies of PD saga prevents it from being the most significant game.

Comment

Master System had a great version of Bubble Bobble though not really the title that pops into most people's heads. Alex Kidd is a good choice, remember that was the days when Sega had no mascot to really compare to Mario.

Comment

Saturn is difficult, though I agree with the selection of Sega Rally. I've heard so many people who care little about the Saturn, talk about the game quite passionately. It's still recognised for it's quality. On the other hand, while Virtua Fighter 2 was the most significant 3D fighter for the next half decade, it was undeservedly overshadowed by Tekken, so I don't hear too many people talk about it outside the Saturn faithful.

I'd sway Street Fighter II on the Snes too, though admittedly it's hard to choose between that and Super Mario World. The effect Street Fighter II had on the industry at the time was quite staggering however, and few games until that point brought the arcade home so faithfully.

Comment

PS suggestions, anyone?

Comment

That's a tough one because the PS changed things so much and was so mass market it's hard to say. Gran Turismo was the best selling but I'd say Final Fantasy VII, Tekken 3 and Metal Gear Solid had more identity and are more fondly remembered. Oh and Tomb Raider II and Resident Evil 2 probably have claims too...

Edit: I say go with Metal Gear Solid
                Last edited by 12-51-00; 10-01-2009, 11:39.

Comment

It certainly is a tough one. If you were writing a Games History book, and the editor wanted a photo of each console with ONE game in the picture, which game that would be is the idea of this thread.

I agree with all your suggestions, but I think I'd maye go for Wipeout or Ridge Racer

Comment

I'd go Ridge. Made me buy a PS1 over the Saturn when they were both side by side (Saturn was running VF). I can't believe i forked out £550 for it now.

Comment

Think the most fun i had on he GC was Eternal Darkness, but would probably say RE4.

Comment

Metroid Prime - Gamecube, has to be surely

Infact Supermonkeyball? wasn't the analog made for that great game or something?
                        Last edited by Pilotwings; 10-01-2009, 12:09.

Comment

Dreamcast without a doubt SoulCalibur, when that game came out everyone was blown away by it

PS it has to be RidgeRacer, Tekken and WipeOut

N64, Mario64 and Goldeneye

Comment

PC Engine as an import machine here in the UK I'd say Gunhed, great shooter, massively hyped by C&VG et al.

In it's home country I have no idea what the definitive title would be although I suppose in the US it was Bonk/PC Kid, or at least that's what they tried to market as I think.

Loved PCE Shinobi, missing a few levels and the bonus stage but addictive and a faithful conversion of the arcade.

Comment

Nigh on arcade R-type is probably the one for PC Engine, tho its true gunhead was THE big game at the time, multi directional scrolling + speach = wh00p!

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                                Nigh on arcade R-type is probably the one for PC Engine, tho its true gunhead was THE big game at the time, multi directional scrolling + speach = wh00p!
                                Agreed at the time in C&VG it was either R-Type, or Gunhed on the PCE that were the most talked about titles.

Somesuggestions:
                                PS - Ridge Racer, or the original Gran Turismo.
                                GC - Super Monkey Ball? I know it was converted later on, but surely it's worth a mention. If not I'd say Zelda: TWW or Metroid Prime.
                                Dreamcast - Soul Calibur
                                Last edited by Digfox; 10-01-2009, 18:38.

Comment

Working...
                                X