No announcement yet.

The Star Wars Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The odd thing with Solo as well is that it doesn't disprove the idea that a Lando prequel would have made more sense whilst covering the same ground.

Also - lightness and colour - Force Awakens had a bit more of it but what is with these miserable toned other new entries?

Comment

Yes, Force Awakens looked the part. Last Jedi was all red and black wasn't it?

Comment

Yeah Solo does have a grim palette and they need to stop characters from standing in front of bright light sources too.

Comment

I quite liked how Rogue One looked (generally I loved that the movie did things different, same with how Last Jedi looked - I think that's one of the most beautiful looking SW movies) but Solo's greyness seemed totally at odds with the movie itself. I wonder if it was initially way brighter and more colourful and they overcompensated when Howard came in to try to stop it looking like a comedy and they just pulled the colour from it. The train sequence was so flat as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            Seems for almost everyone, Rogue One managed to get the balance spot on.
            I'm not so certain about that. I loved the movie; it was my favourite Star Wars movie after the original trilogy. However, I'm a bit biased as I loved all of the EU stuff as a teenager, and Rogue One really feels like an EU movie. I think its slightly darker, faux-edgier approach, with a lot of destruction & death and leaning heavily on the original films (Tarkin, the Death Star, Vader) appeals to a specific segment of the Star Wars fandom, and I'm making a bit of a leap here, but I'm willing to bet the Venn diagram of "Loves Rogue One" and "Hates Episode 8" lines up pretty closely and I would propose that those are the reasons why.

Not saying anyone who likes Rogue One is an edgelord who's still furiously editing their "Ep IX was a mistake" analysis video which is longer than the actual film, though. That'd be taking it a bit far!!

Comment

Maybe, but I like both Ep8 and Rogue One and I just haven't really heard all that many complaints overall about Rogue One where the others feel more divisive.

Comment

Jazz Funk did not like Rogue One.

Comment

Has anyone on here watched Rogue one and then straight in to A New Hope? I wonder how well they hang together.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                    Has anyone on here watched Rogue one and then straight in to A New Hope? I wonder how well they hang together.
                    This was my biggest issue with the prequels, if I'm honest. I'd already read a bunch of EU stuff by that point, chief among that Shadows of the Empire, and multiple times as a kid I watched the trilogy, listening to the Shadows audioplay between Empire & Jedi. It's pretty seamless.

The prequel movies always felt too different to me, in a way that KOTOR doesn't - and that's a difficult thing to quantify.

Comment

The slightly darker tone Rogue One has worked well enough but was entirely down to the focus of that story. Ep8, I dunno, just feels like it has a really off visual style sitting alongside Ep7. Solo is just completely wrong on that front.

I'm not expecting Ep9 to be a genre defining experience but I feel pretty confident they should be able to make it a better entry of the new ones.

Comment

Regular reminder: JJ made Star Trek Into Darkness after a pretty decent reboot movie.

Comment

I like most of Into Darkness so I'm good

Comment

I’m so thankful this place doesn’t go in for gifs much but, if it did, I’d be digging out a zinger of a side-eye gif right now.

Comment

It's one of those entries that I wouldn't place at the top of the Trek movie pile but not at the bottom either. The whole Khan reveal and threepeat of the Kirk/Spock death sequence stuff really knocks the movie down but I like a lot of the sequences in the film and it's got enough going on to entertain even if its tonally not as one the money as XI. I struggled a bit more with Beyond tbh, that film also has some good stuff in it but just feels... off.

Comment

Beyond wasn’t a stand out for me but it was a return to form in many ways. It wasn’t blindingly silly in places and at least tried to stand on its own merits, which Into Darkness couldn’t really do. It was a really, really silly film and just tried to paper over it by moving so fast. It’s actually right at the bottom of my Trek list and is the only one I don’t own on blu-ray. But hey, there’s a lot to love in every Trek movie and even Into Darkness has its moments.

Comment

Working...
                                X