User Tag List

Page 2 of 85 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Cheers got it running, i was feeling brave & changed my shop to us just to see. Apparently you can use points on your wii from any region so if your feeling particularly cheap you can set your wii to japan & get the cheapest wii points then set it all back & go spending, but i have no idea how nintendo are going to react to this.

The one thing that puzzles me is the warning screen saying your about to change shop countries, why is it there as you cant do it from your wii but its there on the shop. Seems odd really, like they implemnted the function but not to actually use it, or maybe its for nintendos use but then again why would they let you change countries?

Quote Originally Posted by importaku View Post
    The one thing that puzzles me is the warning screen saying your about to change shop countries, why is it there as you cant do it from your wii but its there on the shop. Seems odd really, like they implemnted the function but not to actually use it, or maybe its for nintendos use but then again why would they let you change countries?
    If you change your console's country settings in the settings menu (yep it is in there, though unrelated to region), the same message appears. This happens, for example, when you set your US console to Brazillian.

I'm waiting for my JPN Twilight Princess to turn up from PA so I can do this region hack. It's a JPN machine, but I have various US games that I've been using Freeloader for (until 3.3 system menu killed it).

Does it work properly for GC games too?

The Gecko Region Free only works on Wii games because it's just a loader, and is doing the loading in 'Wii mode'.

The AnyRegion Changer and MenuLoader will work for Wii games, GC games and even Virtual Console channels, because they (from what I gather) actually do some patching of the system menu. The latter does it on the fly, rather than permenently modifying the system menu.

I've yet to try all this, trying to grab a PAL Wii game to test, but obviously the Gecko method is 'safest' if you want to keep the system menu as stock. More interesting is the fact that this should see the appearence of proper custom system menu's.

Quote Originally Posted by charlesr View Post
    I'm waiting for my JPN Twilight Princess to turn up from PA so I can do this region hack. It's a JPN machine, but I have various US games that I've been using Freeloader for (until 3.3 system menu killed it).

Does it work properly for GC games too?
    http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/sho...p?p=2148114375

A guy on there used his GC Mr. Driller which wouldn't work before but now works fine after setting the console to Jap mode so it should be fine. The only GC game I have here is a Pal Zelda bonus disc but my plan for today is to try converting the console to a proper Jap machine and seeing if it'll boot my Wii Fit. If it does (which I'm hoping it will) then I'll convert it to a proper US machine and just leave it like that. There's no real reason for me to do this other than curiosity, though.

Well, I've been doing the stuff on the Wii today. In spite of the WiiKey, I decided to just do the Twilight hack just so I can say I've done it

Right now the Wii's being converted to a Jap machine. There's a bit of a problem though (not really a problem), in that my Jap Wii Fit booted fine with Gecko on my Pal Wii, which never happened with my WiiKey, so now it's left me a bit confused.

While typing this, the System Menu 3.2 download failed and my heart stopped (this is how you get a brick or, at least, a semi-brick which is easily fixable, especially as I'm still on 3.1 sw), but luckily if it fails the program just goes back to the Homebrew Channel and I just ran it again and it's trying to download a second time. If it messes up this time I can just set everything back to UK and it should be cool...

And? And?

Waiting.

So is my best bet to change my JPN machine to a US one so I can understand the menu and then use the gecko for my Japan games?

Ok sorry I didn't keep you lot updated (lol you coulda asked on msn mate)

It failed both times, so I just set everything to US and tried again, but it failed then, too. It was an http error of some sort, the same error each time, so I'm not sure what to do, whether it's a server thing or not. The good news is you can't really bugger anything up by trying and failing, provided you don't reboot the Wii before setting everything back to what it should be.

Even then, you'll only semi-brick it, which is easily fixed. Apparently, the only way to fully brick the Wii is if it thinks you've never used it and tries to do the initial setup after rebooting.

I've just changed my region to US (Area and Region both US), but Shop is still UK and Video still PAL. I then tried Harvey Birdman and its working fine including picture and I'm using an RGB scart. When I had tried the game with the Freeloader and RGB scart, the screen was always tinted red, so does that mean I'm sucessfully outputtimg in RGB right?

A little update:

I changed the shop to japan and was sucessfully able to buy and downlaod a game (I got Parasol Stars ), but wouldn't let me play let unless the "Game Region" is set to Japan. It would come up with a message saying "This channel can't be used" and the only way to get out is to switch off the Wii. Changing the "Game Region" to Japan (and leaving the rest as UK/Europe settings, including firmware), I could play sucessfully but then obviously no other channel works.

However when I looked through my account activity and selected any game/channel (except Parasol Stars), it would say "The software you selected is not avaiable in the country", even though I know its avaible to buy in the Japan Shop which means you can't buy games from one region and re-download them in another region to play.

Everything has now been set back to original UK settings and got no problems form anything. THe one thing I didn't try and that was buying points form the jap store using a credit card, but definately will try considering how much cheaper the jap store sells the points!

Overall through my short experience I would say this is an excellent little app and will proberly be usefull to a LOT of Wii owners.