Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeloader revisions? and best Action Replays for different consoles

Hi everyone,
    I am trying to get all the different Freeloaders revisions for Gamecube, but am not sure how many there were/are. So far I have read of the 1.4, 1.6b, 1.6B and the 1.0E - is that all of them? I have seen the 'compatability chart' shown here on PlayAsia:-

Does the 'packaging style' denote which version of Freeloader is inside? eg:-

1.6b/1.6B

1.0E?

..and does anyone know where I can still get a 1.06b and 1.06B?

Also, I am trying to get hold of the most "up-to-date" Action Replay available for each of the following consoles:-

N64
    Dreamcast
    Gamecube
    Xbox
    Gameboy Colour
    Gameboy Advance

But have found that there are so many different revisions for each console and I am not sure which ones are the latest/best versions with the most cheats 'built in', if you see what I mean. Also, I dont know if any/all of them are compatable with NTSC games/consoles aswell, which would be really handy to know.

I believe for the Xbox, Gamecube and Gameboy Advance the "Action Replay Max" Is the most up-to-date:-
    Xbox

Gamecube

Gameboy Advance

To add to this the Gamecube Action Replay has been re-released for Wii:-

It looks to be the same as the Max version but with different packaging - but if this is the case then why do used Gamecube Action Reply Max's demand so much higher prices on ebay than brand new copies of the Gamecube/Wii Version? :/

For the N64 I think its is the Action Replay Professional - although I have also heard of the Gameshark which I believe was the American version - although I dont know if the Gameshark had later revisions?

For the Dreamcast I believe it is the Action Replay CDX

I have no idea for the Gameboy Colour - does the GBA Action replay work for Gameboy Colour Games too?

Would be grateful for any advice or information anyone could give me.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Link83; 07-03-2008, 21:25.

i have two freeloaders at home. i'll let you know what they are.

i no longer need them, as i have a qoob

Comment

Originally posted by kez View Post
      i have two freeloaders at home. i'll let you know what they are.

i no longer need them, as i have a qoob
      Cheers that would be great

Comment

Added some pictures to make it easier to see the products I mean

Comment

My memory may be playing tricks on me but I'm pretty certain that v1.4 also came in the purple box shown in your 2nd pic. That box style was also used for v1.06b (& poss some copies of 1.06B) - the only way to tell which version you had was to look at the disc itself.

The box style in your 1st pic is newer and I think it was used for later copies of v1.06B.

The action replay max (GC) you have a pic of is the newer version. Earlier ones came in a flimsy cardboard box.
          Last edited by tom-nook; 07-03-2008, 20:48.

Comment

I remember just as tom-nook said. You had to check the disc to know if it was a 1.4 or 1.06b, there was no clue on the outside.
            I have a 1.06b, and never had problems using NTSC games on PAL GCs, but I do remember that few PAL games on NTSC consoles worked only with the 1.4; F-Zero GX should be one of those.

Comment

Thanks for the replies

So it should be:-

1.4/1.6b

1.6B?

Is that right?

Also
              The action replay max (GC) you have a pic of is the newer version. Earlier ones came in a flimsy cardboard box.
              I think I know which one you mean, is it this one?:-

But I wasnt sure if this was the same as the Max version? I guessed it was an earlier version.

I have also seen a 'GAME' branded version of the Action Replay Max which comes in a white/purple cardboard box. I am still not sure which ones is the latest version though (If there even is different revisions? Or just different packaging)
              ...Or why the Gamecube/Wii version seems to go for a alot less than the Max one?

Is it to do with which Freeloader versions is included on the Action Replay disk?
              Last edited by Link83; 07-03-2008, 21:31.

Comment

I think it should be:

1.4/1.6b & 1.6B

1.6B

I'm think that ealier copies of 1.06B had the purple box too but at some point Datel 'jazzed up' their packaging (purely cosmetic - no actual F/L revision tho).

That is the version of Action Replay I was thinking of. I don't think there was any real difference between it and the AR Max other than the packaging (both came with a manual, disc & memory card iirc). The packaging for both is pretty pointless really as there are no internals to hold the disc/ card in place....they just kind of slide about inside....

I know that the AR Max disc contained v1.06B of Freeloader but not sure what was on the older AR (v1.06b at a guess).

I don't know if there were any revisions to the Max as such except that the bundled memory cards were updated once in a while as new codes became available. I hadn't realised there was a GAME branded version though!
                Last edited by tom-nook; 07-03-2008, 22:24.

Comment

both of mine are in a box similar to the top pic. they only have JAP and USA flags on the front though.

also, doesn't appear to be anyway of telling what version they are. the manuals say 1.0 version european edition, which doesn't really help

Comment

^^^^
                    Did you take a look at the discs?

Datel used to offer a free upgrade from v1.4 to 1.6b and I'm sure the only way to tell which version you had was by checking the disc itself. iirc you should see some very small text etched round the centre of your discs ('shiny' side) that will include the version no.

Comment

I can say that the first AR release (in the cardboard box with memory card) had Freeloader 1.06B on it. It would play some PAL games on my US Cube that my separate 1.06b disc didn't...
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Sorry for letting this thread almost dissappear - I had been meaning to get back to it

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                        I can say that the first AR release (in the cardboard box with memory card) had Freeloader 1.06B on it. It would play some PAL games on my US Cube that my separate 1.06b disc didn't...
                        Thanks for the info - I guess that means all of the Gamecube Action Replays had 1.06B Freeloader on them, as the cardboard box 'Limited Edition' version was the first.

Also, I thought someone may be interested in seeing a picture of the 'GAME' branded version:-

(Picture is taken from an auction on ebay)
                        It originally came in a cardboard outer box aswell, but now that I look at it more carefully I think it is the same as the 'Limited Edition' version posted earlier, only in different packaging.

So, from what I understand, all versions of the Gamecube Action Replay contained Freeloader 1.06B - atleast up until the combined 'Gamecube/Wii version' which probably has either has 1.06B or 1.0E on the disk.

Also, the only difference between the 'Limited Edition' versions and the 'Max' versions was the memory card - which on the 'Limited Edition' releases could only store cheats, but on the 'Max' versions could also store game saves aswell as cheats.

Unless anyone knows otherwise?

Comment

there is the xplorer 64 cheat cart device for the n64 that takes all formats and lets you find your own codes i believe (expansion pack required) i have one for my n64 but these things are very hard to find now.

that is the only picture i could find of the version i have

also there is a xploder DC for the dreamcast, again it supports all formats of cheat codes and is much more better than action replay imo.

there is also a xploder for the gba

and there is a cheat device called xploder gb game cheat cartridge for gameboy and gameboy colour games (again lets you find your own codes and use cheat codes from any format), not sure if you can buy them anymore though.

picture of the box

after that xploder (formally called BLAZE and then xplorer) went downhill, thier ps2 cheat device was terrible, i've been using action replay ever since, but yeah those mentioned above are the best cheat devices you can get on those systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Link83 View Post
                            Also, the only difference between the 'Limited Edition' versions and the 'Max' versions was the memory card - which on the 'Limited Edition' releases could only store cheats, but on the 'Max' versions could also store game saves aswell as cheats.

Unless anyone knows otherwise?
                            Yeah but I imagine you had to insert the Action Replay any time you wanted to use the saves.

Comment

Wow, even on this subject I pop into Link83
                              I was looking for the Gamecube AR revisions myself, after both my AR and FL 1.06B discs died :/
                              I have a few Freeloaders and AR's at home now from eBay, I'll report back here when I know more, just for archivings sake (since this is an old topic, but who knows who can use the info ).

I know i have an 1.08 Action Replay, which is region free (and has manual code input). I couldn't boot Mario Kart with the 1.06b Freeloader on my Panasonic Gamecube, but I read it works with the 1.04 Freeloader 9_6
                              The Wii compatible Gamecube Freeloader was region locked (have to look up that version), so not usable on my 'Q', it work. Also that version doesn't have manual code input IIRC.

EDIT:
                              Some info from http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/vie...php?f=3&t=399:
                              Action Replay 1.08
                              Action Replay 1.09
                              Action Replay 1.14a
                              Action Replay 1.14b
                              Action Replay 1.4c
                              Action Replay Max

I think that there were also versions:
                              Last edited by Shadow_Zero; 28-11-2013, 09:53.

Comment

Working...
                              X