Triggerheart Exelica (XBLA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triggerheart Exelica (XBLA)

I bought this straight away without even trying it out yet first. Stupid of me i know, but im a sucka for shooters!

And Im glad i did. The game is fantastic, the visuals are very nice and crisp and it reminds me of the fantastic cave shooters. Its definetly a bullet hell kind of game and it isn't easy from the off. It even has its own unique gameplay gimick which works wonders.

There is this Anchor thing you have when you activate it with the B button it grabs the nearest enemy and swings them around clockwise and if you leave go at the right time you will launch them at enemies and hails of bullets to create massive bonus points.

It isn't easy as it sounds as some enemies take a while to capture and you have to time the swing just right if you want it to go where you want, it requires skill and some practice, by the time i nearly finished it i was getting better at it. It has some great bosses, lovely predictable bullet patterns. Another good thing is that the bullets are really easy to see, you never feel cheated because you got shot down or something, they never look like they too close together. Your hit box is perfect as you can weave in and out of them without any problems. Its a very professional game.

Theres a particular level that reminds me of Ikaruga where you have to dodge aload of boxes, but this time you have to grab them and shake them around to turn the bullets into bonus points and use it to destroy the ones in front of you. You never ever feel overwhelmed in it and its really enjoyable to play.

The only problem i have is that it gives you infinite credits from the off, im sure this is to appeal to the casual gamers. But i would have liked to have started off with just a couple of credits. Maybe theres an option for it, but i haven't been in the options menu yet.

Its a lovely game and if you are like me and love shooters, pick it up and you won't be dissapointed. The game will definetly tidy you over till Ikaruga finally shows its face.
    Last edited by SuperBeatBoy; 27-02-2008, 14:06.

It's just as good as it was on the Dreamcast.

The thing about this I like is the boss system. The score that you get on the boss is directly relevant to the amount of those yellow crystals that you pick up during the level. The more of those you've hoarded, the higher the bonus for destroying the boss is.

If you get the boss bonus high enough, then you can technically face two bosses on that level. Once you've destroyed all forms of the first boss, you'll get another Emergency sign pop up and you'll go one v one against another Triggerheart.

Comment

I never knew that. I forgot to mention, that i never ever noticed any slowdown either. Blooming great. A game which can get away with not using slowdown to avoid bullets.
      I noticed that when i finished it the first time, that i got ending a. So im guessing theres multiple endings depending on how you play through it? Im guessing what you said earlier on how to defeat bosses will end up affecting your ending.

Comment

The £1m question; Twin Stick or can I use my Hori?

Oh, and SG you're banned sunshine from setting ridiculously high-scores - for now.

/Wishful thinking/ Of course, this sets a presendence now and we ought to bombard MS with emails kindly requesting (nee. pushing) that they get Cave on-board so we can get Mushi, Pink Sweets, Death Smiles etc. on XBLA.

Comment

I'll try not to.

You can use your Hori, it's not a twin stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleeders View Post
            The ?1m question; Twin Stick or can I use my Hori?

Oh, and SG you're banned sunshine from setting ridiculously high-scores - for now.
            Single stick, as its a classic horizontal shooter like dodonpachi and whatnot. So yeah, you can use your hori. You just reminded me, i have a hori i can use too. I totally forgot that i had one.

Comment

Ta' chaps, I was hoping you were gonna say that. Twitch responses FTW.

Comment

The thing is, i'm trying to not rely on the Auto-Swing that much.

By default, it's turned on.

By default in the arcades, AFAIK, you had to manually swing the ship around by holding both your anchor and shot buttons and circling the stick.

It's handy if you don't have it on, because there's a huge ship on the first stage you can just hold infront of you and use as a bullet catcher.

Even if you don't swing the enemies, when you let go of the anchor button they still explode with a pretty big blast radius. Sometimes if it's not worth swinging them around it's best just to immediately catch and detonate.

So where are you guys getting your Hori sticks from? I'm having issues with the pad.

Comment

I've got the one that Gamestation were selling for £20 a while back wasn't it?

Comment

Gamestation, £19.99 new. I primarily used it for VF5 and Metal Slug 3, but i haven't played them in awhile. Which is why i forgot about it.
                    They might still be around, as ive seen one in my local shop recently.

Ive been playing the game using the left analog stick, i thought it was fine. I never knew the anchor was set to auto. >_<
                    This is why i think they are trying to aim it at casual gamers to make more sales. Not that i have a problem with it, i do hope it gets a huge amount of sales. Its fantastic, a hell of alot better than Omega Five. Wish i never missed it on the dreamcast, oh well at least im playing it on my 360 now.

Comment

Who did Under Defeat? Maybe a chance of that coming over perhaps?

Comment

Under Defeat was G-Rev, of Senko no Ronde.

As SnR got 360'd, there's a chance Under Defeat might.

If it does, you're in for a treat. It's an amazing little game.

Comment

I had a quick go on the demo, but didn't appear to add a "1" to the end of the high score when you used a continue. But I also didn't notice it resetting the score to zero instead. Not had time to recheck that though. I probably just missed it. Anyone able to confirm for the full game?

(Under defeat was pretty, but overated for me - it's good looks prevented people from appreciating the arguably superior Radirgy which was released at a similar time.)

Comment

I can't set ANY scores on this at the moment.

I'm so, so adapted to playing this with the Dreamcast arcade stick that I just can't get used to using the way I play on a pad.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                              I had a quick go on the demo, but didn't appear to add a "1" to the end of the high score when you used a continue. But I also didn't notice it resetting the score to zero instead. Not had time to recheck that though. I probably just missed it. Anyone able to confirm for the full game?
                              Checked - Score resets to 0 on every continue.

And I just managed to make Triggerheart Faintear appear on Stage 1. I'm getting the hang of this again

Comment

Working...
                              X