Final Fantasy XII : Revenant Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Fantasy XII : Revenant Wings

About a third of the way into this now so I'll give my thoughts.

It's like what you'd imagine a final fantasy RTS to be like. Each name character leads a team of monsters which you can control and each character has their own special abilities, one of which you can set as a gambit so they use it automatically.

The gameplay takes the form of missions where you generally have to either clear a level of monsters or destroy an opposing team's soul crystals. Sometimes you're fighting against just monsters but often you're fighting against other summoners who have their own monsters under their control. You (and the enemy) can summon more monsters for each team using summon gates which you compete for control with with the enemy. In soul crystal missions, if your own summoners or enemy's get killed, they automatically revive at the crystal. You win these missions by destroying the crystal.

At most times you can choose to either do missions that are part of the main quest or do side quests which give you more items and XP. Interestly if you lose a mission, you still gain xp which should in theory prevent you getting permanently stuck saving before a tough battle you're too weak to win.

The plot is fairly simplistic dealing with the Judge of Wings and her obsession with Aurucite (the stuff that enables you to summon). It's a lot more childish than FFXII focusing on Vaan and Penelo (you part ways with Balthier after the initial training sadly).

It's pretty fun overall but there are some annoyances. The controls aren't quite as polished as they could be with moving the camera being awkward, especially for lefties as the camera is controlled via the pad or by holding the stylus in place for a second, then dragging (all too often you end up selecting a unit instead of moving the camera). Sometimes it also feels like you walk too slow and in intense battles there's a lot of slowdown.

It's an interesting and fun game let down by uncomfortable controls and a plot that at this stage feels a bit too lightweight (it makes FFX-2 look deep).

Bah, I was going to do this. But then I've only just started it so you're probably better off.

I did see Edge's 6, but thought I'd give it a shot, since XII was about the only game in the main series I really, genuinely liked (I am far from Final Fantasy's number one fan) and I wanted to visit Ivalice again, tissue-thin plot or no. (You are aware the same guy directed FFX-2 and Revenant Wings, right?) I do have to say that while it's obvious it's fluff, at least the game's fairly competently written. I don't know whether or not Fran and Balthier turn up after where you are - I got the impression they do - but even with just his few lines in the tutorial I could practically hear them voiced in my head.

Technically looks nice - I haven't got far enough to see the slowdown, but it's a very pretty engine at least. Good score, too. I liked the controls okay, but they could definitely be better and no southpaw option is something of a black mark even though I'm not left-handed.

Hopefully this thread will prompt me to play the game some more rather than just heading for the PS2 and another playthrough of XII . Still, what I've seen gets a cautious thumbs up - made me smile, at least.

Comment

I too am not a traditional FF fan, though this held my interest (even playing in Japanese) until I'd completed 81% of the game. I really enjoyed it. Yes, the plot is straightforward though perhaps you haven't got to

where we find out how the Judge became the way she is, and about her lover dying in battle

. Or maybe you have.

It's on the list of games I have to go back to and finish.

Comment

I find myself veering between hating this and loving it at a moments notice. When it works it's a very well polished DS game with perhaps an even better plot than the PS2 game and the characters are all as likeable as ever. Then it just sudenly throws out an unbelievable difficulty curve that the DS seems unable to handle. Healers get stuck on scenery or decide to sit there doing owt, chosen gambits and spells dont get cast... I've seriously played the same level once and got absolutely wiped due to the poor AI, played it again and done everything exactly the same thing tactically and have barely been touched...

Such a shame because there's a brilliant game here, and it's credit to it that I've put 20 odd hours in despite its flaws, but hell, what flaws....

I'm near the end now at 80 odd percent completion and have hit another brick wall difficulty wise. I hear they ramped up the difficulty for a western release... bastards...

Comment

Square do seem to like to do that.

Comment

Working...
          X