"AAA" games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DavidFallows
    Goldeneye (I'd say PD but everyone else won't agree - grrr)
    Sellout!

- Corrupt Rose

Comment

Originally posted by JRMacumber
      Well, the official definition for acronym includes such things as CIA, and I remember that being taugh in school, so I think it's safe to say so, as well as safe in calling them an abbreviation. No harm no foul either way.
      They taught you wrong, acronyms are supposed to be pronouncable words.

Acronyms are a type of abbreviation (the pronouncable-word type).

CIA would only be an acronym if you pronounced it seeah or sya (or keeah or kya) rather than C-I-A.

Comment

How far off topic is this thread?
        Funny though.

Anyone got any comments about good PS2 games at all?
        There MUST be better ones than GT3 and MGS2.
        From what I saw of Silent Hill 3, that looks awesome.
        How about Psyvariar?

Comment

/is stubborn and won't budge

ft:

Comment

Originally posted by stroppa
            I prefer to take the orwellian stance on this.

In 'Newspeak', 'AAA' would just become A++, as in A-Double-plus.

um, carry on.
            Good 1984 reference. I've called my VF4 Evo Pai "PlusPai". I will obviously become DoublePlusPai once I cease to unown at it. Now as this off topic Orwellian stuff is obviously crimethought, I'll get back on topic.

As it has been said before, AAA does not mean the title is necessarily any good. Enter the Matrix would be an obvious example of a AAA title that was pants but sold millions.

Comment

Plusodd double post. Please delete.

Comment

:Sigh:

An acronym is, by definition, an abbreviation, but an abbreviation that doesn't form a pronouncable word isn't an acronym.

Look:

The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

ac?ro?nym ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kr-nm)
                n.
                A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as WAC for Women's Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a series of words, such as radar for radio detecting and ranging.
                You're my bitch, JRM, and don't you forget it!

Comment

I really hate the whole AAA thing, because it seems to encourage people to focus on a small number of well publicised games while ignoring other games that are in many ways far more worthy of attention. For a game to be AAA, it appears to be insufficiant for that game to be a highly playable and enjoyable title. It also seems to require that the game be backed by a full force marketing campaign and the recognition of the gaming gutter press. For example, people repeatedly state that the Xbox's only AAA title is Halo, thus ignoring other equally worthwhile software such as Tekki, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Amped, and Gunvalkyrie.

Now with the PS2, if asked to name three of the best titles for the system, I would probably say Frequency, Psyvariar, and Dai-Ou-Jou. I would then be told that I was wrong because these games aren't considered 'AAA'. Despite the fact that of the PS2 games I have played, Frequency is definitely the best IMO, and Psyvariar would be the second best. (I haven't played Amplitude yet, so you'll have to excuse this omission.)

But that is how I shall answer the original question. Frequency, Psyvariar, and DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou are three of the best games for the PS2.

Later.

Comment

The whole 'AAA' thing is just PR bull****. The acronym debate is far more interesting!

Comment

OMG, what happened to my thread?

*Sobs*

Comment

A interesting debate about acronyms?

Lets face, we're just killing time until our copies of F Zero GX turn up

I can't stand it. Its still not here!

Back on topic:

was the latest Tomb Raider travesty a AAA title? I would say it was... it sold lots and lots, and regardless of quality it was still pimped on the high street.

Comment

Fine! If we have to talk about the topic at hand..then...fine..

/me humphs and crosses arms.

Yeah, the whole 'AAA' thing applies to the advertising surrounding its release, and the subsequent numbers it manages to do. It has no relation to the quality of the game, and it just PR bull**** (as I may have already mentioned )

Comment

Originally posted by Treble
                            An acronym is, by definition, an abbreviation, but an abbreviation that doesn't form a pronouncable word isn't an acronym.
                            You are, of course, correct.

This definition explains what an acronym is: an abbreviation of several words that forms a pronounceable word itself. Learn how an acronym is formally defined, how it differs from abbreviations and initialisms, and other related terms such as anachronyms.

http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/abbreviations.htm (near the bottom)

UKOOA’s licensed engineers provide fast, efficient and affordable boiler repair and installation services in London. Enquire now for a free quote!

Tim (tm)

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
                              was the latest Tomb Raider travesty a AAA title? I would say it was... it sold lots and lots, and regardless of quality it was still pimped on the high street.
                              I would say it was, they've started to bundle it with the console now. That is usually a sign of a "AAA"er the same with Zelda being bundled with the gamecube.

Comment

/off topic:
                                I've always thought that AAA were games that were very much on the "radar" (he he) and were definite sellers. Titles that have high production budgets and are "landmarks".

/ON TOPIC
                                JRM, its quite possible that you were taught the English language wrong! You do live in America!
                                8)
                                I think there may be two definitions, the original one and the new American one. You know, like "BILLION".

Comment

Working...
                                X