Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dracula X Chronicles (PSP)

Just got my copy from VG+.

Played for an hour and completed the first 4 stages (2 regular and 2 alternate), plus I've unlocked Maria. Looks like my time spent on the original payed off.

Anyway, I've not unlocked Rondo's Blood or Symphony of the Night yet, but I can say that I don't like the remake.

Stodgy controls, dull graphics and poorly remixed music make me think it's just 'ugh'. Also, the whole polygon look is wrong, losing all of the beauty from the original, and the new cutscenes are annoying. It looks and feels cheap and nasty, like a Taiwanese toilet seat.

Still, at least the original is on here, along with SotN.

Anyone else got their copy?
    Last edited by Big Seany; 01-11-2007, 12:03.

I've done three levels of the remake now, and unlocked Symphony. I'm enjoying the main game quite a bit, but I've never played the PC Engine version, so I can't say how it compares. I thought the music was pretty decent. Sounds good through headphones, anyway.

I think one of the big problems with the graphics is that they're quite dark, so turn to mush on the PSP's screen when they start moving. They really could have done with upping the contrast. SOTN, which uses a bigger range of colours, is much better in this regard, despite not being designed for the system. I think it looks alright, but it's nowhere near as successful a transition as Ghosts and Goblins or Megaman Powered Up.

I've done Symphony up to the first boss of the main game. Seems a solid version so far. It's apparently based off the Japanese release, so has the familiars that were missing in previous English releases plus a few different sound effects. They've also added Maria, who was previously only in the Saturn version. It doesn't have the extra Saturn areas, however. Unlike the 360 version, all the FMV is intact.

There's a new translation and voiceover, which is okay I guess, but I'm so used to the original that it seems a bit odd. I daresay it's a more literal translation of the Japanese but, y'know, I liked that whole "miserable little pile of secrets" speech. Once nice thing about the pack in general is that you can pick the Japanese speech for the games (except for the intro movie, which is always in German, oddly). I think the Japanese in SOTN is the original track.

The game's not been reformated to fit the PSP's widescreen display, and you can either run it in the original resolution (so with a border all around it) or scaled up to fill the full height of the screen with smaller borders left and right. There are bits of artwork that fill the borders, with a few to choose from. Annoyingly, none of the wallpapers are just plain black.

Going to try to unlock the original game next, so I can see what that's like.

Comment

I agree I don't like the remake, but I do like the fact that I will eventually be able to unlock the original game and SOTN. The music is another reason to buy this as its simply awesome.

The remake just looks cheap to me, not impressed at all so far. The FMV is pretty shoddy, and looks very old style Playstation. I think the original Rondo will be alot better as I have played that before on the PC Engine, proper 2d instead of this remake 2.3d? or whatever its called.

As a complete package, for the money, its a "must buy" for a Castlevania fan anyway.
      Last edited by SUMIRE; 30-10-2007, 21:38.

Comment

Can you list all the games that are in this package please? Which are open at the start and which do you need to unlock?

Comment

The original PC engine Rondo needs to be unlocked as does SOTN.

Comment

It's got Symphony of the Night, Dracula X: Rondo of Blood and the 3D Dracula X remake. Only the 3D one is open from the start.

Edit: beaten to it!

Comment

Thanks!

I've got SoTN and Castlevania Chronicles from the PS1 running on my PSP already but I'll definately be buying this one shortly.

Comment

Only £15 at Movietyme, criminal not to pick it up at that price! I'm waiting for it to be delivered, but it might well be put back for Christmas.

Comment

Gamefaqs also says that the ""junior" version of Rondo can also be unlocked (previously playable if you used the wrong system card on a duo).

Unlocked both Rondo and SOTN. Bit annoyed that they changed the German dub in Rondo as well... Seems a bit pointless. I'm so used the original's sound that it sounds a bit odd now. Still, it was worth it for portable SOTN.

Comment

Have they changed it even in the original version? Weird.

I'm really keen to play it but trying to find somewhere to get the full Konamistyle set from... £100~ off eBay is a rather painful pricetag to go with.

Comment

Would have ordered this earlier but have been on holidays. Any road, I have just scored it today off of ebay and will post my impressions in due course. Am particularly excited about this game, because I have never played Rondo before, and it is the only Castlevania I haven't played!

Comment

I've never played SotN outside of the brief trial game on XBL let alone Rondo, so for me this is going to be a real treat

Comment

Yeah, the original Rondo is the main reason to buy this really.

Comment

Can anyone confirm what firmware this requires please?

Comment

Is it possible to kill the large yellow skeleton on level 3, or do you just have to wait until it jumps over you?

I'm finding the game quite hard going so far. Managed to get to level 4, but only barely. Having touble getting past the bit with all the swinging blades and whatnot on that level.

Comment

Working...
                              X