This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keith View Post
    Just to chime in here, I'm not a Potter man myself either. As such, I think that if spoilers are posted it might be best to PM the mods who won't be reading the book if they're online - otherwise reporting a spoiler could potentially lead to the book being spoiled for someone else when it needn't have been.

And for the record, if I ever saw anyone posting a spoiler about anything where it was clearly designed just to piss people off - even really old, tired spoilers such as (FFVII spoiler:

Aeris dies lol

), I'd delete them immediately, as would the rest of the mods.

And I'd like to echo Spatial's "give and take" comments - I think the majority of NTSC-UKers would be surprised at just how soft we all are really.

I'm sure you would, question is though would you issue a perma-ban? Do you see the problem here?

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
      I'm sure you would, question is though would you issue a perma-ban? Do you see the problem here?
      I see a problem here, yes...

Fact is though, that no bans have been threatened for any other books in the past, and (for the fans of the series), this is a big deal. When something is "a big deal", there will inevitably be people that will go out of their way to spoil it for people - such is the sad state of forums Internet-wide these days - people will do anything for "the ****", after all.

You've got to remember as well that we're a games forum, and as such, people generally respect the fact that other people don't want games spoiled for them, hence our never having had problems in this area in the past. (Deleted) posts in this thread go to show that not everyone has the same sort of respect for things like the Harry Potter books, and I'm sure you can appreciate that the rules in this case are not there to ban people for posting spoilers, but to stop people from doing so.

I'm fully confident that anyone posting spoilers about what happens at the end of Halo 3 etc. would (/will) be treated in exactly the same way, however.

Comment

The same warning applied to the previous Harry Potter book - and someone still thought it would be amusing to spoil the ending for other members and now that someone complains about his subsequent permanent ban that followed on other forums.

Personally I have zero interest in Harry Potter, but I know that some members of this community do - and anyone thinking it would be humourous to spoil their enjoyment by posting spoilers does so knowing that their account is at risk.

Comment

Seems to be getting a bit out of hand this no? Isn't this a gaming site anymore?

Anyway at the end you find out that

it was actually Harry Potter that shot JR Ewing!!!!!!

and that

the smokey monster thing in Lost is actually Hagrid!!!!!!!!!

Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
            Seems to be getting a bit out of hand this no? Isn't this a gaming site anymore?
            If you read the post directly above yours, you'll see exactly why this announcement has been made, which also answers your question as to whether or not this is "getting out of hand".

Comment

I did read it. Any mention of Harry Potter should be banned in that case, this isn't a book site.
              If I were to inform of the new limited edition burger that will be coming out in the next few weeks at McDonalds would I be banned too, for fear of messing up foodies' day?

Permaban is far too extreme.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Don't post any spoilers then, and you won't have to worry about how extreme it is.

Comment

I'm sorry, but I just don't agree. I've paid my monies so I'm entitled to my opinion. That last post sounded like the kind of thing my Mom used to say. "It's my house, so it's my rules". "If you don't like it, you know what to do" etc. It's pretty silly of people to want to ruin the book for others. I agree with that, but this isn't a police state. I feel more and more caged by the rules imposed on us users as time passes by.

*EDIT* I forgot to add that yesterday I PM'd a mod to ask for some assistance over me possibly being scammed. I got an "Ok, I'll do it later" reply, and then nothing else. I find this far more important than a book, which this site isn't even about. I'm upset that resources are being wasted on something that probably isn't even a concern for the masses, yet something that is usually so heavily governed has been overlooked.
                  Last edited by J0e Musashi; 18-07-2007, 07:56.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

You'd be entitled to your opinion whether you'd contributed or not - having contributed to the forum doesn't grant any extra rights after all. However, the rule has been put in place, and the reasons for that have already been explained.

There's no reason to feel "caged in" by a rule you had no intention of breaking in the first place though. Again, the idea is to prevent, not punish.

Comment

Well said Joe.

No-one wants this last book spoiled but these measures are extreme, you can't deny that. When was the last time someone was perma-banned for posting a video game spoiler?

Comment

*EDIT* I forgot to add that yesterday I PM'd a mod to ask for some assistance over me possibly being scammed. I got an "Ok, I'll do it later" reply, and then nothing else. I find this far more important than a book, which this site isn't even about. I'm upset that resources are being wasted on something that probably isn't even a concern for the masses, yet something that is usually so heavily governed has been overlooked.
                        I was the Mod in question, said I'd do it at lunchtime (yesterday) and I did.

Comment

Hmmm, I think if I had read 6(?) books based on the same characters over the past 8(?) years I would be absolutely destroyed if I came to a Videogame forum and some prick gave away the ending or told of how one of said characters dies. People with any sense know not to do that sort of thing, if a member did do something as stupid you would have to question what else they are capable of - maybe they would eventually get around to ruining something you actually care about. Permaban the little ****s I say!!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHolliss View Post
                            I was the Mod in question, said I'd do it at lunchtime (yesterday) and I did.
                            Thanks much. I wasn't sure of whether you had as you didn't PM back to let me know, which I was expecting. Perhaps it was wrong of me to expect an update. Again thank you.
                            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
                              When was the last time someone was perma-banned for posting a video game spoiler?
                              Again, this has been covered. I think that once you've covered the same ground this many times, the thread has run its course.

Last edited by Keith; 18-07-2007, 09:07.

Comment

I've paid my monies so I'm entitled to my opinion. That last post sounded like the kind of thing my Mom used to say. "It's my house, so it's my rules". "If you don't like it, you know what to do"
                                Would just like to point out 2 things.
                                1) Everyone is entitled to their opinion regardless of forum payment. Forum payment gives you sales access to the non-gaming sales forum, aracade access and anything that goes on in the Blue Room.
                                2) That IS how it works here though. We've always said, if you can't keep to the rules, or don't like the way we do things, find somewhere else.

Comment

Working...
                                X