X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

back to Harry Potter,

Discussion without fear of spoilers here

Discussion with (correctly posted) spoilers here

Will post a thread in First Play reminding people about the correct use of spoilers.

Comment

Why are these measures not in place for video games and spoilers though?

People have a habit of posting details regarding a game's introduction in their first play threads without realising that intros are often one of the biggest elements of the plot.

Once again I'm not arguing the point of these measures for the book as I certainly wouldn't want it ruining (if I was interested in it that is), but not to employ something like this for video games is rather hypocritical.

Comment

All this fuss over a kids book (easy tiger...)

Can we not just ban people who talk about HP instead?

btw I read that the last 2 words in the new book are

Comment

Thats not whats at the end of the version I have,

and it was all a dream

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
            Why are these measures not in place for video games and spoilers though?
            They are.

Posts get edited for spoilers as and when and anyone who's felt to be doing it deliberately to wind people up will

a) be removed

and

b) no doubt be jumped on quite hard by the community before we even get to it

But thankfully it's a mute point since it rarely happens and the vast majority of people here are very considerate regarding spoilers (see the Lost and various TV threads for examples). They know to engage the spoiler button.

Even those that can't find the spoiler button tend to post they can't find it before launching right in.

Comment

I know that such posts are modified appropriately, but the problem I'd like to emphasise is that there's a rather more "relaxed" approach to it compared to "Potterism" - offenders aren't punished (to this extreme at least) so while you mods try your hardest to prevent it occuring it continues to do so. First play threads shouldn't contain details regarding the introductions to games prior to one of the above posts stating yet I'm continuously reading how such and such occurs in the opening fmv.

It's a similar problem with the sales forums - there are rules there but they're not enforced. I keep seeing posts being "bumped" or prices being changed without stating the change.

A permanent ban for a spoiler needs to apply for everything - how different is the case with the Harry Potter book compared to for example the last game in a trilogy? Simple answer is its not.

Comment

With regards to the sales forum, when ever I see a bump post or a post with no prices stated then I delete them and inform the poster

Comment

As always if you see someone breaking the forum/sales forum rules inform a Mod or use the report post button.

Some days we have well over 800 new posts here, even with our increased number of Mods it's possible not every post gets read.

Thanks.
                  Last edited by VR46; 17-07-2007, 13:16. Reason: Grammar was awful.

Comment

Wow. Harry Potter deserves three or more threads and an official spoiler ban threat? I'm baffled.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      Wow. Harry Potter deserves three or more threads and an official spoiler ban threat? I'm baffled.
                      It's all part of the NTSC-UK push into books.

Videogames are old news.

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar View Post
                        It's all part of the NTSC-UK push into books.
                        So if I import a book from the US, will I read it 17,5% faster than a PAL-book?

Comment

Originally posted by MoFo2 View Post
                          Yep - and without the borders.....

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
                            A permanent ban for a spoiler needs to apply for everything - how different is the case with the Harry Potter book compared to for example the last game in a trilogy? Simple answer is its not.
                            Sadly, no. It isn't as simple as you think and you aren't in full possession of the facts to be thinking it is.

And again I reiterate the main point of my previous post - despite what you think, no one has deliberately posted any major spoilers in First Play without marking them up. To say that posting stuff about an intro is widespread and done to ruin peoples enjoyment of a game is a massive disservice to parts of the community and anyone who's ever contributed to First Play.

The same can't be said about threads on Harry Potter.

It's amazing really. You're suggesting we should be banning people over little spoilers to intro sequences yet the minute we did something like that there'd be an uproar (and rightly so). As much as people would like to think we're a bunch of officious, horrible bastards there's much more give and take here than you could ever imagine.

If anyone is unhappy with the content of a thread hit the report post button. You'll probably find a sea of red descending on it in double quick time.

Comment

Just to chime in here, I'm not a Potter man myself either. As such, I think that if spoilers are posted it might be best to PM the mods who won't be reading the book if they're online - otherwise reporting a spoiler could potentially lead to the book being spoiled for someone else when it needn't have been.

And for the record, if I ever saw anyone posting a spoiler about anything where it was clearly designed just to piss people off - even really old, tired spoilers such as (FFVII spoiler:

Aeris dies lol

), I'd delete them immediately, as would the rest of the mods.

And I'd like to echo Spatial's "give and take" comments - I think the majority of NTSC-UKers would be surprised at just how soft we all are really.

Comment

Originally posted by MoFo2 View Post
                                No, but books don't have VAT! So you could P Gordon Brown off by importing a whole box full, and you wouldn't have to pay ANY customs!

Comment

Working...
                                X