Redundant: the Find Me a Career Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oracle View Post
    Um that would be Contructive Dismissal, one quick call to an employment lawyer and they could have a sizeable settlement figure on their hands.
    Sort of.

To claim constructive you must first resign. There is a risk you won't get decent compensation and in this climate it would be unwise to put yourself out of work.

Comment

It's a pretty clear case of constructive dismissal if they're actively putting pressure on people to make them quit. They're doing it to avoid paying redundancy.

I'd say get evidence, keep a diary of when this pressure is exerted and what is said.

Comment

Looks like a week on monday I could be made redundant.

Where I work(A well known company locally) is getting rid of 16% of the workforce(80 agency have gone in the last 3 weeks) so things aren't looking good.

Now I've always been in engineering, but things are so bad at the moment it's untrue.

What would be the best career choice for me IF I do get the boot in 8 days?

Comment

i havemy dreaded medical board tomorrow at 13:50

if they decide services no longer required my final day will be around the start of September, after i complete all my educational stuff

Me thinks a bus driver - but i still dont have a dan doo

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
            i havemy dreaded medical board tomorrow at 13:50

if they decide services no longer required my final day will be around the start of September, after i complete all my educational stuff

Me thinks a bus driver - but i still dont have a dan doo
            Good luck with the medical board, Buster.

What the eff is a dan doo, though? Some kind of Glasgae rhyming slang?

Comment

Good luck with the board, not a great time to be out of work.

I've been made 'redundant' again, that's twice in 3 months!

Team I was in lost 2 heads so i transferred to another team that had an opening, that was in a different business unit. That unit has now just been hit with the latest trimming, my position has now gone. Just moved to another team under the same manager, I'm being lined up for a management role (similar to what I did at Sky, at the bank I'm more technical and hands on).

I tried to buy some redundancy cover last year - 'work for an investment bank = fail'.

Hopefully this will be the last move for a while, bonus I'm off to Liverpool in April for a couple of weeks of expense driven dining.

Comment

I'm reckoning a 'dan doo' is a 'damn clue' - am I right?!

Good luck to you all in these hard times

Comment

I might be next in here given what's going on with the Royal Mail. The job has really gone to the dogs since the strikes in 2007, to the point where I'm convinced the management are purposely making the job **** so people just leave and save them a few redundancy pay-outs.

I'm in much the same boat as threadstarter - 26, only got a few GCSEs and one A-level I did by distance learning a couple of years back, and the only jobs I've ever done were the army and Royal Mail with a few ****ty warehouse / labouring gigs sandwiched in between.

I've been thinking about training as a lock-smith but I'm not sure if there's much work in having just the one skill. It seems most people who do trade work have multiple skills i.e. decorators who can also wire your house, plumbers who also do heating etc. I have to say though, I find the idea of learning to work on safes and security systems quite interesting.

Comment

I'm in the redundant boat, was in the city up until end Oct last year and all I can say is thank god for redundancy insurance, I've not even looked for a job yet as its a bloodbath up there at the moment.

Taken a nice few months learning to play tennis, learning to box and starting to draw up some plans to maybe start my own business, though I may lack the bottle to follow thru on this.

Anybody who's out without a payoff or alternative ncome has my sympathy, fortunately I've got until the end of the year until I have to make my mind up and actually do something and the time off is doing wonders for my waistline.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
                      I've been thinking about training as a lock-smith but I'm not sure if there's much work in having just the one skill. It seems most people who do trade work have multiple skills i.e. decorators who can also wire your house, plumbers who also do heating etc. I have to say though, I find the idea of learning to work on safes and security systems quite interesting.
                      Locksmith by day, burglar by night?

Comment

Originally posted by funkydan View Post
                        I'm reckoning a 'dan doo' is a 'damn clue' - am I right?!

Good luck to you all in these hard times
                        yeah you win a sailor cuddle

been to board and it all went well, upgraded slightly so i can deploy to Afganistan or go on a ship

due to join an nice carrier around summer time

and the best thing is that i dont have to go to a board again, just finish my time

another best bit is that i also never have to do a fitness test ever again either

Comment

Nice one Buster, you must be very relieved!

Hmmm, not sure about the whole sailors cuddle business though - I'm pretty sure that's what I think it is!

Comment

Nice one.

Comment

Originally posted by funkydan View Post
                              Nice one Buster, you must be very relieved!

Hmmm, not sure about the whole sailors cuddle business though - I'm pretty sure that's what I think it is!
                              Ask FUSE he loves the old sailor business

yeah relieved to have a job and hopefully in 4 years when i leave the current climate might have picked up

but now that i dont have to worry about fitness tests and stuff, i can be promoted and can even be offered an extension of service which pays the bills and increases my pension and gratuity

the employment board sits on the 25th and that generally ratifies what the doctors have said, plus i've spoken to my appointer and he has already penciled me in with a ship if i got the ships with medical staff only caveat

so hopefully that will go as planned, not fully out of the woods, but half way there

Comment

Excellent news. Very pleased for you Buster.

Comment

Working...
                                X