42 All-Time Classics ( Nintendo DS )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

42 All-Time Classics ( Nintendo DS )

Got this at the w/e and I've been munching through the single player "stamp" mode to unlock everything, and it's not a bad little budget title. Many of the games are card games ( some of which I've never heard of ), and there are definitely 42 different games, not just variations, I counted them

The presentation is a bit basic, and the AI is pretty deficient on the inteligence part ( not tried Chess yet to see how good the engine is ), but for a quick lunch time blast, most of the games are ok. There's not really anything that stands out as great though. The dart game seems too random with the throwing using the touch screen; playing 301 for the first time took over 15 mins because neither the CPU or I could get a double to start for ages. The bowling is a bit better, but again very basic.

The Texas hold-em plays a pretty weak game - it's a limit game, so no going all in, and it can take a while to play out if you fold. Certainly not a match for the XBLA game.

The Stamp mode forces you to play through the different games ( and unlocks the locked ones - there are five locked I think it was ). The balance game is quite fun.

Played a couple online, the biggest problem I had was finding people online to play against. Found someone on Checkers ( and got beaten by a king - bah ), and it all worked nice and quickly. Even though I lost, I was still ranked in the top 300, around the 270 mark, which just shows how few peeps are online with this. I couldn't get enough people on Texas Hold-em. It's all nice and seemless though, no lag spoiling things ( well, the games aren't really reliant on minute pings anyway ).

Worth the ?17 I paid for it I reckon - just a pity there doesn't seem to be more people playing via Wifi.
    Last edited by MartyG; 02-10-2006, 10:59.

Not many online yet cos it isn't out in the US until next week... might then get an upsurge
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I've enjoyed playing through Stamp - some of the games are a little tedious and the AI is a bit dodgy but all in all it seems like a great buy.

Good to have a nice portable Solitaire and Bowling and Balance are good fun. Liking some of the other card games as well especially some I'd never heard of before.

Can't comment on the Wifi yet as I spent ages yesterday trying to get the DS to connect but it wouldn't. Could be the game to get my missus to buy a DS though.

Well worth the ?17-20 and potentially another massive seller for Nintendo.

Comment

This game absolutely comes alive online, been playing regular games with the guys over on rllm. Also never had any trouble finding people to play on Worldwide at any time of the day.

Comment

It's a little gem, I've had to recharge my Lite 2 days in a row because of the amount of hours spent online. We had up to 7 people playing on Saturday, for what seemed like the whole day. Absolutely brilliant fun, enhanced by the drawing skills of a certain few.
          Head on over to the online thread at rllmuk and start adding.
          Last edited by Earl; 02-10-2006, 15:14.

Comment

I've been playing the "Escape" game; it's infuriating - how can that big block fit through - it can't - it's impossible - it's great fun and I've been sneaking a quick go at work all afternoon to try and solve them

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG
              The presentation is a bit basic.
              The presentation is superb.

Comment

It's still basic.

Comment

Glad everyone else is enjoying this. I've spent almost the entire weekend playing it online and off. Many of my favourite games are in there and there are even a few games I've always wanted to play like Shogi and Hanafuda.

Marty: PM me your friend code and when you're likely to be online and I'll play against you.

My code: 1289-2831-6535

Comment

This is great, something for everyone here.

I'd like to echo the comment about DS Charging, mine is currently out of juice, Wi-Fi play just eats it. I'm currently 7th in the World at Checkers and climbing the ranks steadily with Darts.

With Friends playing it's much better as the chat options change to Pictochat, playing darts with seven other people chatting, doodling etc whilst waiting for your go is great.

They've even sorted out the dropping out bug, no longer does it end your game if someone drops and disconnect it'll just add an CPU player to the proceedings.

Coupled to the fact this is roughly ?17 online, makes it a must-buy IMO.

Comment

The online is pretty cool for the Texas Holdem and Chess. This is defo worth the 16.99 price tag over at Gameplay.

Comment

I was playing Chess online with a friend when we had a connection error, he dropped out and the CPU took over. Is there any way for him to rejoin and continue the game?

Comment

I'd suspect not - no doubt you have to start over.

Will join in on the praise on this one mind. I suspect if Nintendo market this one it's an absolute killer app.

Was down my folks last night, fixing my Dad's wireless network, I'd got my DS on-hand to check it was nice and secure. Anyway, I showed it to my Ma, who then spent the next hour playing Mahjong. Bear in mind my mother has never picked up a controller in her life, she had no trouble at all with the DS and Stylus.

In fact I suspect that'll she'll be pestering S0L Snr. to pick her up 'One of those game things' in the near future. I had a job getting it back. Only to get home to lose it to Mrs S0L who had read the box and saw it had solitaire on it...

I can see this being the next Nintendogs - if it see's some kind of marketing push

When I did get it back (hey they have to sleep sometime) - I also had a whale of a time with it. Which is odd, as I detest card and board games. Escape is pure addiction.

---
                          S0L
                          ---

Comment

Escape puzzle 15 is driving me mad, done up to 14 now.
                            Last edited by MartyG; 03-10-2006, 11:51.

Comment

And I think it was a move of sheer cruelty to tell you the minimum moves required. I've found myself replaying the same one over just to see if it is actually possible.

---
                              S0L
                              ---

Comment

Working...
                              X