No announcement yet.

Ridge Racer 7 - PlayStation 3 - 1UP.COM 5 Day Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I didn't know about Ridge Racer, I'd say it looks nice (apart from the dull car model). I'm sure the scenery will vary immensely.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
      We decided it was ace from the off. Retrospective. pfft

edit: just reread what you wrote - it must be someone else that changed everyone's minds.
      No it wasent!

"Ridge Racer V (RRV) was one of the launch titles for the Playstation 2 and, along with Tekken Tag Tournament, demonstrated Namco?s commitment to a company that had done wonders for their sales, and more than adequately replicated their arcade success on a home format. Both titles were greeted with a lukewarm reception on release, due in no small part to the fact that deriding the PS2 was fashionable. Consumers felt hard done by, with insufficient quantities of the machine shipped to retail outlets, and the implementation of a ludicrous pre-order policy damaging the impact of the launch. The titles were booed by high and low alike, branded shallow rehashes of tried and tested formulas, and used as examples of Sony?s disdain for the buying public.

So: cynical cash-cow rehash or genuinely good release? Three years on, it?s time for a reappraisal."

I sware you re-reviewed it, I rember you guy's doing it!

Sorry if I'm wrong though!

Comment

To be fair NTSC-uk never re-reviewed it. It just wasn't reviewed in the first place then Stuart Peake (Treble. A top poster/writer who seems to have sadly departed the forums now) started playing it 3 years after release, aware of the generally poor reception it got originally and was surprised at how good it was.

That is how the review got written.

Comment

Ah my apolgy's!

Comment

Amen to Wipeout 4, with 2097's physics/handling system back - as much as I like Pure it doesn't quite handle like the Wipeout of old and it (in my opinion) isn't as good in that area.

In fact, the PS3 controller's limited movement sensors would fit Wipeout down to a tee.

Comment

Originally posted by C'
              Ridge Racers and Ridge Racer 6 were all "more of the same" (albiet with a tacked on boost feature which I barely used) and I enjoyed them immensely for what they were.
              barely used? did you get very far??

Comment

Yeah I was thinking exactly the same thing. You can get away without touching them in the early races, but you get your ass handed to you on a plate if you don't use them in the later races.

Comment

I haven?t cleared either World Tour or World Xplorer so you could well be right. In Racers I did clear both Basic and Pro Tours (including Angelus and Crinale) without the use of boost but never gotten around to EX tours.

In 6, I haven?t touched the expanded parts of the map yet so you could well be right but what I have cleared so far has been without boost. The hardest thing I find to be honest is clearing races without collisions (I force restart for the slightest bump) as opposed to winning without boost. If I ever get further in World Tour (my main focus is obtaining the ?no Boost? and ?No collision? achievements) then I may have to rethink my thoughts on boost if these later races are as hard as you make out.

It will literally have to be a week of failing a race though before I even considered using boost.

Comment

Aren't the No-Nitrious and No-Collision achievements for Single Race only?

There's little stars for each track (and each car class) denoting if you've passed on that mode.

Comment

Aren't the No-Nitrious and No-Collision achievements for Single Race only?
                      Yes they are. You can try to no-nitro or no-collision your way through the World Explorer if you want ... but it will be (a) impossible, and (b) fruitless. The later races rely on nitro, and also some blocking tactics.
                      For his own sake, I hope Mr C' has not been trying to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick
                        It looks okay. It just doesn't look like a Ridge Racer game.

And yes it's dull as hell. I certainly hope this course is a one-off and not indicative of the whole game. Where's all the colour and razzmatazz?

Add a ferris wheel and a low flying chopper and i'll be happy.

SCOOTERRRR!!

Comment

Originally posted by peeveen
                          Yes they are. You can try to no-nitro or no-collision your way through the World Explorer if you want ... but it will be (a) impossible, and (b) fruitless. The later races rely on nitro, and also some blocking tactics.
                          For his own sake, I hope Mr C' has not been trying to do this.
                          I thought the same, but kept on fighting anyway. Which is why my Ridge progress has been pants! lol.

Gonna cane it after Dead Rising and clean up good and proper.

----

Don't get me wrong - I love Ridge as much as the next guy... Only when it's bright neon with mad music that I'd usually hate anywhere else though. I might get some happy-hardcore MP3s offa the chav kids here at school and get them 'roight on theer'. CBA with some cockney MC talking bollocks over the top of some 2-chord piano riff though.
                          Last edited by dataDave; 13-09-2006, 10:46.

Comment

Yes I?m aware that it applies to Single race only. That is why my progress on World Xplorer is not as far as getting to the races that ?require? nitrous as my focus is on Single races. However, all my progress in Xplorer has been with no collisions and no nitrous, not related to the achievement but because that is how I have always played Ridge.

Comment

Woah, in that case I admire your attitude and devotion to Ridge.

Comment

Ye is it the same teams that do all the Ridge Racers cus the livelyness seems to dissappear from the colour palettes somewhere along the line. Maybe they feel because of the extra realism on show with the next gen machines they need to drab them down? Seems since they made R: Racing Evo they got more sensible.
                                Last edited by JU!; 14-09-2006, 23:11.

Comment

Working...
                                X