Burnout Paradise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burnout Paradise

Quite liked Burnout 4, this one is sounding promising...

Guildford, UK ? August 29, 2006 ? Buckle up and prepare to unleash automotive anarchy in the ultimate burner?s paradise. Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: ERTS) today announced that Burnout? 5 is in development for the PlayStation?3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360? video game system from Microsoft?.

Burnout 5 gives players license to wreak havoc in Paradise City, the ultimate seamless racing battleground, with a massive infrastructure of traffic-heavy roads to abuse. Gone is the need to jump in and out of menus and aimlessly search for fun like many open world games; in Burnout 5, every inch of the world is built to deliver heart-stopping Burnout-style gameplay. Every intersection is a potential crash junction and every alleyway is an opportunity to rack up moving violations.

Of course, rules are made to be broken, and when gamers enter Paradise City, they?re assigned a Drivers License that quickly begins to amass a record of player?s most aggressive, reckless and destructive exploits behind the wheel. But it?s not the law that?s eyeing player?s progress ? when gamers push things too hard they?ll be squaring off against the city?s most infamous burners, and these legends aren?t interested in who crosses the finish line first.

?Burnout 5 is a complete reinvention of the series, built from the ground up for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360,? said Alex Ward, director of game design at Criterion Games. ?To create truly next-generation gameplay, we needed to create a truly next-generation game, from top to bottom.?

Burnout 5 also delivers the next level of speed and destruction, with brand new next-generation technology allowing gamers to literally rip their cars in half, in the most explosive pile-ups in the series? history.

Burnout 5 will ship in 2007 under the EA? brand and was developed by Criterion Games in Guildford, UK. For more information about the Burnout franchise, please visit www.electronicarts.co.uk or our press Web site at www.electronicarts.co.uk/press. For more information about Criterion Games, please visit http://www.criteriongames.com

I wanted to like Burnout Revenge, but the stop/start nature of it in getting any of the medals annoyed me (seemed more severe than earlier titles). If it's taking a Test Drive-esque non-linear approach by introducing a city hopefully they'll change things (though I don't see how, considering the mechanics ingrained in the series).

Comment

This series was just waiting for the next-gen, I liked BO1 & 2 but didnt enjoy the EA takeover with 3 and thus didnt bother to checkout 4.

Comment

Moving further away from the racing side of things from the sounds of it...though I did really enjoy 3 and 4 so I am of course dead excited by this

Comment

Not sure I understand what they are really saying here. Is it going to be like Vette on the PC (if anyone remembers that??) So you race across the city but not on a fixed route? And run over the yellow people in chinatown (seriously... that happened).

Comment

Should be a laugh, I wonder if they'll put in some new Xtreme feature, like rocket launchers!

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
              Not sure I understand what they are really saying here. Is it going to be like Vette on the PC (if anyone remembers that??) So you race across the city but not on a fixed route? And run over the yellow people in chinatown (seriously... that happened).
              Could be like Need For Speed Underground I suppose, though if it were non-linear the crash mechanism would quickly become annoying in driving around from race to race/event to event. If they have sense, they'll make it so they're race-only.

Comment

I've not played NFSU. Can you explain? I've only played BO1-3 and "proper" driving games this gen, like RC2 and Forza

Comment

I haven't played it either (bar the Marketplace demo). I've just read reviews and as far as I know, it works out that you're in a non-linear city at night and you have to drive to events which happen inside it. Like Test-Drive basically but in a city with narrow objectives/modes.

Comment

Originally posted by Concept
                    I haven't played it either (bar the Marketplace demo). I've just read reviews and as far as I know, it works out that you're in a non-linear city at night and you have to drive to events which happen inside it. Like Test-Drive basically but in a city with narrow objectives/modes.
                    Thats about right, there is always the option to jump straight to races or events so you don't have to fart about the city if you don't want to though.
                    This could work very nicely for BO but not sure about starting random live races without a lobby though.

Comment

Can't wait for this. Been a big Burnout fan since number 2 was released on the GameCube. Just hope that when I buy the 360 version of the new one it doesn't erase my hard drive like Revenge did...twice!!

Comment

I thought 2 was brilliant, then it went downhill for me, didn't enjoy the last 2 as much.

Comment

The thing about Burnout is every single one has been completely different. Sounds like this is no exception, tho I'm really not keen on the idea of Free Roaming in it. Next they'll have licensed cars and call it Need for Speed: Burnout or some crap :/ don't get me wrong, I like Need for Speed, well I liked the first Underground game, the last 2 NFS titles have had severed flaws that made them more annoying than fun.

I want to see a next gen "remake" of the first 3 Burnout titles though, they were all amazing in their own way, Revenge was the dud for me.

Comment

1 was good, 2 was perfection, i avoided 3 and was pleasantly surprised by revenge...

this 'meet up to race' **** sounds like the sort of 'cruises' that chavs have in their mum's micras/novas/corsa/saxos.

Comment

ffs just go back to 2 and give us a decent online mode, thats all I want!

instead its more ****ty EA poofter over the top presentation

Comment

Working...
                              X