Shutokou Battle X/Import Tuner Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shutokou Battle X/Import Tuner Challenge

I've been able to sink a few hours into this since it arrived on Friday and my overall impression is that it's a very good game.
    Winning races early on seems quite difficult with a near-standard car but once you earn enough to do a few modifications, your car becomes more competitive and each race becomes a really close and tense affair, often drawn out for miles as you and the opponent constantly battle for the lead whilst avoiding slow-moving traffic.
    Even though the races take place on motorways, the battles are just as exciting as any in Ridge Racer or Initial D since your opponent is no mug, and they're almost always in a faster car than you.

Graphically, the game is only mediocre by 360 standards and looks more like PS2/Xbox1 level, plus it's only 30fps with some slowdown and scenery pop-up issues. It's generally smoother than PGR3, but it has more pop-up and doesn't look anywhere near as good. The game actually looks OK, just nowhere near the quality of graphics we expect on these new systems. Compared to Ridge Racer 6, it definitely looks like a last-gen game.

The soundtrack though, is great, as is the amount of tuning and customisation options. Nearly every major component on the car can be upgraded and adjusted to improve performance, and you can also modify how the car looks in a variety of ways too including hideous Max Power-style bodykits.

This is one of the reasons why the game is so addictive and the difficulty level seems nicely-judged - you find yourself being just too slow to beat the boss car, so you go and earn enough money winning the other races to upgrade the engine etc untill you're fast enough and the repeat the process on the next set of teams...

The feeling of speed in this game is very convincing - 200KM/H really does feel like 200KM/H and the cars handle very well. The handling is simulation-based with realistic movement and weight, probably comparable with Gran Turismo 1, but slightly more "drifty". More realistic than PGR3, but not by too much.
    So far I've beaten over 40% of the rivals and I've found the game very absorbing. With some games it can feel a chore to keep winning races to build up cash, but there's less of that here since winning a race is never easy.

I've just added another car to my garage and I'll be looking to do the rest of the quest mode with it. There's also online modes including time-attack, but my connection hasn't been good enough to try them.

Overall, this game is excellent and a fine addition to the series. If it had shinier graphics it would probably have a chance of gaining the series a more widespread appeal, but with it looking it the way it does, I don't see that changing.
    Last edited by Kubrick; 08-08-2006, 06:59.

from the sounds of it this will be ?30 when it hits pal shores, could be worth a look

Comment

my copy should be arriving any day, im a huge fan of the series. can you provide a starting car list? ive been wary of other lists on the net. some people are saying theres not many cars to unlock either?

Comment

Didnt know about this at all - I love the Shutokou Battle games, Id never claim them to be astounding but something about them is just so addictive. Is there a domestic release date for this yet? Thanks for the impressions, cant wait

Comment

Precisely what I wanted to see. Thanks for the impressions!

Are the online matches arranged races, or can you have multiple people just cruising around the motorways challenging each other?

Comment

Cheers for the impressions. I'm dying to get my grubby mitts on this...c'mon PAL release!

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles
              my copy should be arriving any day, im a huge fan of the series. can you provide a starting car list? ive been wary of other lists on the net. some people are saying theres not many cars to unlock either?
              I think there were about 6-8 cars available at the start. You start with 3,000,000 and that can get you about half of them. I started with a Nissan 350Z but it left me without any money to modify it, so I struggled a bit at the start. I've just added a R32 Skyline GTR, but there isn't a great deal of cars you can buy. I've probably got less than 25 available including boss cars I've defeated. There's probably only about 50 cars in the game I reckon.

Sorry Silvergun, but my connection is too buggered-up to try the online mode at the mo. Just staying connected in this forum is an achievement. There's two different sections - Network Battle and Network Time Attack. I tried the time attack one, but the game froze when my connection dropped.

Comment

No worries mate.

Is the motorway system the same as the dreamcast / earlier versions of the game, or is it a completely different set of routes?

I've had this ordered from lik-sang and i'm waiting for it to arrive, been hammering Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 and have been time attacking the C1 Outer Loop. If that's still in it, i'd love to dish the pain.

Comment

I think they're the same motorways as before. They're all connected together so you can cruise around them pretty much as long as you want looking for rivals. In fact, you need to do that to find some of the bosses.

Comment

It's settled then.

See you on the C1 Outer Loop.

Comment

Are there none of the new highways introduced in the last version?

Comment

the long one is on, have you come across a stock ae86 yet to buy? im gutted theres no daihatsus

Comment

No, not a stock one...

Comment

and can you mod the wanderer/boss one?

Comment

Nope, the boss cars can't be modded.

Comment

Working...
                              X