Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duddyroar
    Taken from World of Stuart:/snip
    Life is way too short to be that bothered about something so trivial - bottom line is that whatever an individual spends their own money on is their own business & need not be justified to anyone. I personally can't see why people get so sour-grapey about it.

Comment

I honestly can't believe you're using the words of Stuart Campbell to try and win a debate.

And as for the "locking games away" and them ceasing to exist - sure, a small sub-section of collectors may feel that way, but from my experience it's far from the norm.
      As Mayhem said earlier, a fair part of the interest for me is in the archiving and documenting of everything, sharing information about games that otherwise wouldn't be compiled and made available, hence why I spend a lot of time doing just that for places like Digital Press or Guardiana.

Collectors of the sort Stuart was so stereotypically ranting against are just as alien to me as they are to you.
      Last edited by anagrama; 08-11-2005, 14:37.

Comment

I do! It's robbing someone else of the chance to play the game! You're effectively 'sitting' on a copy of a rare title just to gain some profit at a later date...while there's nothing wrong with making a bit of money for yourself, it strikes me as a rather greedy.
        I have sealed copys of Halo, Outrun 2, Ico PAL Limited edition, REbirth, Metroid Prime and a few mint copys of other games.

I brought these as they are my favourite games and want a copy for keep safe. I will never sell them on and dont see a problem with it!

Comment

Again i can only speak for myself but i DO NOT collect games for profit as 'stuart' seems to think. How can a collecter buying something for themselves be depriving someone else the chance to enjoy the game? Technicaly its true, but you might as well say the same about any product,which doesnt happen, everytime anybody buys anything theres somebody,somewhere who'd like that product.

Comment

I am a gamer simply

There was a person i know who collects DVDS he has thousands the problem is there are many dvds he has bought watched and then never seen again because it was rubbish but he would never sell them

I am getting a neo geo system and most of the games which i already have are cartridge only nothing else.Also the amount of neo geo games i will get will be limited there are many games for it i dont like

Kizuna super tag i bought for about ?35 for the complete with marquees etc prices were going for over ?200.Now for me as a non collector that makes no sense paying a extra ?165 for a box a few posters and stickers

Comment

I tend to buy great games, play them and if they reach crazy prices it's a bonus. I wouldn't consider myself a collector otherwise i wouldn't have sold my NGC version of Resident Evil 4 Special Edition (only 48,00 in existence), Snes, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Megadrive and Master System all with top games.

When buying games i tend to get the special/bonus editions for example Mushihimesama, Gradius V (with bonus disc) and Shadow of the Colossus JPN Box Set (which will arrive at the end of the month ) not because it's rare, but just for a love of the game.

Comment

I just don't see the point in Keeping factory sealed games, or buying games just to add to collection, but never play them. Nobody would buy a music CD or DVD film and never play or watch them .
                Oh Look Blade Runner my fav film of all time must buy another Factory sealed copy to never watch it again, in a word pointless .
                You can?t interact with a stamp's (well about from licking it) with games you can , and that the whole point of video games inthe 1st place.

Comment

It pisses me off how 'rare' Slug 1 is on the AES. Total bull**** - there's around 20 copies on Ebay each week. I find it to be the most common AES cart of all time, even more common than a loose cart Samurai Spirits. I wouldn't pay more than ?40 for a Slug 1 me, god only knows how it can still command a price tag of ?1,200.

I'd value a mint Euro/Jap Baseball Stars 2 higher than Slug 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda
                    I just don't see the point in Keeping factory sealed games, or buying games just to add to collection, but never play them.
                    I do feel sorry for those collecting Snes games (or any cardboard packaged games for that matter), must be a fecking nightmare trying to track down mint/sealed copies. I couldn't go the hassle TBFH.

Comment

Originally posted by the_dude

When buying games i tend to get the special/bonus editions for example Mushihimesama, Gradius V (with bonus disc) and Shadow of the Colossus JPN Box Set (which will arrive at the end of the month ) not because it's rare, but just for a love of the game.
                      Spot on I do the same (even for XBox games like Doom ), The diff is me and you then play the games, not put them away never to be used

Comment

Originally posted by anagrama
                        But I'm sure that's exactly how the majority of collectors see it too - I know I do.
                        I mean the actual playing, not the acquiring and arranging in order on a shelf.

Comment

I honestly can't believe you're using the words of Stuart Campbell to try and win a debate
                          I wasn't trying to use his words to 'win a debate', I just thought his viewpoint was worthy of including in this thread. For what it's worth, part of me does agree with him though. I do see collecting sealed games as completely pointless.

If you're going to collect something to treasure, make it a piece of art, or something that will seriously gain value as the years progress. I even see stamp collecting as more worthy than videogame collecting.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidFallows
                            It pisses me off how 'rare' Slug 1 is on the AES. Total bull**** - there's around 20 copies on Ebay each week.
                            Yeah, most of the "high-end" carts seem to be overpriced considering how "common" they are. Hoarders are the problem I think. I've seen pictures of collections on NG.com where people own like 4 or 5 copies of the same cart

OMG R@R3!!!!111
                            Attached Files

Comment

I've seen pictures of collections on NG.com where people own like 4 or 5 copies of the same cart
                              Unreal. What use is more than one copy of the same game, let alone five? Honestly?

Comment

I do see collecting sealed games as completely pointless.
                                And if you read my first post, you'll see I agree. Hurrah!

Comment

Working...
                                X