SEGA SATURN - the discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kubrick
    I no longer have them, so I can't remember exactly, I just remember it being "better" on the Saturn for some reason. Maybe just because it looks more impressive running on a Saturn, than it does on a DC (where it looks pretty ordinary)...
    you're not the only one that says that John

on various forums they regard the saturn version as the best out of the lot

one just finished on ebay and my ?25 bid wasnt good enough, it went for ?31

fekker

Comment

I got my copy for ?24.99 new from VGI. It'll cost you nearly double that for a sealed one now. Seems to have entered "rare" status in the past couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by anephric
        I've picked up US Guardian Heroes for less than ?25 on eBay... it's not atrociously priced, if you're patient.
        One of my best eBay bargains would have to be getting Guardian Heroes and 4 other games for ?18 off someone who didn't list 'em properly

Anyway, the Saturn is my most beloved of consoles. I have four of the buggers. There's just something about so many of the games that exudes quality and pure love that the developers have put into them.

So many of the games haved aged really well, too. Case in point, has anyone played Virtua Fighter 2 recently? I was playing it recently and forgot how awesome the graphics still look!

There are so many games you can pick up for a couple of quid that NEED to be played, eg Panzer Dragoon 1 & 2, Sega Rally, Athlete Kings... and NiGHTS. One of my favorite games of all time, I've lost so many hours just flying around the first level racking up points and doing tricks, and it's such a joy to play with the analogue pad.

My personal list of starting out essentials would be something like this:

Sega Rally : superb handling and great track design
        NiGHTS : see above
        Baku Baku : a pretty simple but damn fun block puzzler
        House of the Dead : graphics weren't that hot even then, but it's still fun
        Saturn Bomberman : you know the deal here
        X-Men vs Street Fighter : not the most cerebral of beat 'em ups, but it's a total laugh
        Vampire Savior : really shows off the Saturn's 2D power, and is full of top character design etc
        Necronomicon : pinball!
        In The Hunt : I just FINALLY got a nice copy of this off eBay but it's still in the post. Best described as Metal Slug in submarines
        Steep Slope Sliders : looks pretty nasty now, but it was a great snowboarding game back when there were loads of them coming out
        Exhumed : Egyptian-themed FPS

And if you're gonna pay silly money for a game, then make it Panzer Saga. It's shorter than a lot of RPGs but it's just sexy.

Plus the Saturn's pad is just so simple but so brilliant for beat 'em ups.

Comment

Originally posted by moonwhistle
          Also, what exactly makes the Satrun Version of SFZ3 better than the DC one?
          I remember people here saying that Capcom resized the sprites for the DC version, for some reason, which screwed with the timing of moves.

Comment

hmm last games i got for the sega saturn
            radiant silver gun
            vampire saviour
            samurai shodown collection
            king of fighters collection
            astra superstars
            xmen vs streetfighter

Comment

the Saturn version of Zero 3 pisses on th DC one from 40 feet. tigter controls, crisper visuals etc.

Ive seen the mint boxsets w/ RAM go for ?70+.

All the SNK games are good, but a lot suffer from long loading times (**** knows why they didnt use the 4mb cart)

Souky is ace, don't know if it has already been mentioned, and Layer secction is class (can be picked up for $20, mint).

Astra Superstars? damn, still aint got that.......

Comment

Originally posted by crazymadone
                Astra Superstars? damn, still aint got that.......
                there is one on ebay right now

the seller has that and final fight revenge

only $214 and $174 respectively

Comment

wonder if i should sell it didnt think it would be worth that much

Comment

Avoid Final Fight Revenge, no matter how rare it is. It's horse****.

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick
                      Avoid Final Fight Revenge, no matter how rare it is. It's horse****.
                      its not even on my long list

got 31 items on my ebay right now over the next few days

so i'm going to be super skint

Comment

on the SFZ3 subject - not to mention that it doesn't require a peripheral or 2 to actually play the game properly...

Man, I love the Saturn pad. It's such a simplistic masterpiece of design and it works so well it nearly makes me cry with joy when I'm playing with it. I don't think I've ever handled a more intuative pad (Megadrive 6 button asides, since it is pretty much identical minus shoulder buttons and a tighter d-pad), and it works for almost any game too. If I had to give a couple of reasons why I chose a Saturn over a PSX back in the day, I would say the pad was definiately one.

I don't think you can be without NiGHTS either. It's a really pure game where passion is everything; desire to edge out your last score with a huge link, desire to see and fall in love with the very unique universe, desire to guide face off with Reala one more time... the way it feels is just something so special I can't even begin to describe it. One of those games that defies explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon
                          i did have a uk spec black one on its initial release but i got rid of it soon afterwards - probably money woes
                          Tell me it was after Sega Rally came out. That's still today hands down the best racer on any home console and one of the only games I regularly fancy playing a decade on. A game I could genuinely not live without.

NiGHTS - Most magical game ever made. A work of Sonic Team genius. Which reminds me....

Sonic Jam - If you don't have a MD. Pisses on Mega Collection.

Any CPS2 or STV conversion is guaranteed bloody impressive. From MvsSF to
                          Die Hard Arcade.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Battle Garegga, VF2, Saturn Bomberman, Burning Rangers, Layer Section, Sengoku Blade...

Don't rush things, those classics above will keep you busy for months.

Comment

And you'll be needing a HSS-0136

Comment

Burning rangers ain't all that really, a good acheivement back in the day but today it is blurry and almost unplayable, the game has alot of potential and was screaming out for a dreamcast update which would smooth everything over.

In my mind the saturn was best mainly for its 2D titles there are some decent 3D titles such as sega rally, manx tt, and nights but you have to get over the dodgy graphix first. You need a jap saturn as we were left behind with the pal stuff, as some of the best 2D fighters outside the neo are on it, as well as some kick ass shooters that even rival what the pc engine has.

Comment

BR always looked dog rough but it plays superbly IMO and is a great concept with a great atmosphere.

Comment

Working...
                                X