No announcement yet.

Customs Charges Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i got a ps3 today via ems speedpost. it was marked as $699 mechandise, but when parcelforce delivered it, i wasnt charged any fees.

will i eventually get charged, or have i got away with it?

Comment

I think you probably got away with it mate
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

brilliant!

cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by anephric
          That's not the way it works - it's the merchandise value that is liable for tax/duty. If THAT goes over ?18, then the shipping is added on AS WELL for duty purposes.
          Yeah, thanks. That is what it says on the back too once I read it carefully. Still doesn't make the ?19 any less painful....

Originally posted by canuhavebabies
          i got a ps3 today via ems speedpost. it was marked as $699 mechandise, but when parcelforce delivered it, i wasnt charged any fees.

will i eventually get charged, or have i got away with it?
          You have definitely got away with it. PF are meant to drop a card to your house and tell you to pay the customs before they dleiver (at least according to most people who've imported PS3s).

Also, if you check tracking it should say RELEASED WITH CUSTOM CHARGES if you were hit for them.

Comment

A friend of mine in the US is having a disastrous time sending something out to me via DHL (thanks to inept staff at his nearest depot). It’s something I will get customs fees on, and I know DHL will bill me at a later date, but if we decided to ship it instead via UPS what are their accepted methods of payment when they demand money at your door upon delivery? Anyone know?

I must say I do loathe the practice of any charges being demanded at your door when you don’t know what the charge will be until they tell you. Any help re: the above would be great.

Comment

Can anyone possibly answer this query for me in regards to extra charges as I'm still not certain on them?

Ok, so I'm thinking about buying £86 worth of stuff from gamestop and am assuming to expect a customs/handling charge from UPS ontop. My confusion however comes from the fact that people seem to be getting charged the same amount by UPS which is about £20 but the value of the items bought are different. People with an item total of around £50 being charged £20 and people with an item totaling £20 also being charged another £20 ontop.

The last time I ordered something from Gamestop, it came to $45 but I wasn't charged anything by UPS - this time however, I really don't think I'll be getting away with it due to the size of the package.

Comment

Anyone? I'd rather put off buying them if I'm going to get stung with some rediculous made up charge, seems UPS slap any old figure ontop of packages.

Comment

Do PA orders get the full customs hit normaly ?

Comment

Just going back to the first post in this thread again, UPS have never charged me anything for delivery before. The only fees outside of the price of the items I've bought plus the store's shipping and handling charge was for customs. Aren't UPS always meant to charge a delivery fee?

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
                      Can anyone possibly answer this query for me in regards to extra charges as I'm still not certain on them?

Ok, so I'm thinking about buying ?86 worth of stuff from gamestop and am assuming to expect a customs/handling charge from UPS ontop. My confusion however comes from the fact that people seem to be getting charged the same amount by UPS which is about ?20 but the value of the items bought are different. People with an item total of around ?50 being charged ?20 and people with an item totaling ?20 also being charged another ?20 ontop.

The last time I ordered something from Gamestop, it came to $45 but I wasn't charged anything by UPS - this time however, I really don't think I'll be getting away with it due to the size of the package.

What are you buying?

Comment

I decided against the gamestop purchases and I've now found an ebay seller who is willing to undervalue them and mark them off as a gift to come under the customs allowance.

As I've said though, UPS have only stung me once for customs and most of my orders I've not paid a single penny outside of the item's value and S&H, even ones valued over the allowance.
                        Last edited by Daragon; 02-02-2007, 23:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
                          I've now found an ebay seller who is willing to undervalue them and mark them off as a gift to come under the customs allowance.
                          Our import limit is ?18 or ?36 if it's a gift.

A rough way to budget for a Customs charge is to add VAT to the total value before shipping, plus the clearance fee of the handler.

Comment

I shouldn't have to worry about customs if the package is going to be undervalued/marked as a gift.

My concern is a delivery charge from UPS - people keep mentioning one, but I've NEVER been charged one previously. It may have once been included in a £20 fee for delivery of a £100 package, but that would have included customs as well I'd imagine.

Comment

Hmmmm... my PS3 should be shipping today via USPS express, who do they use in this country and what fee am I likely to get on top of VAT/import duty? And do they charge a fixed amount for PS3's as I got mine for a pretty good price and shouldn't be charged as much as some people...

I didn't want to risk getting it marked down, plus I paid about £4 extra for insurance! I wouldn't be so bothered if they sent me a bill and let me have my PS3 straight away, but I'd be annoyed if I had to pay it before they gave it to me...

Also, is it worth getting it marked as a warranty return or some such in case I can ask him before he sends it?

Comment

I'm almost certain USPS use royal mail who aren't as bad as UPS for additional charges.

Comment

Working...
                                X