Resident Evil 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
    I have to ask, do you have alot of experience in that area then?
    Actully I do! I dated twins once, then went out with one of them for about a year.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
      See this is what I mean, people keep saying its not like the previous games and then just say things that are wrong.

Wesker was in RE4, as was Ada, and there were several references and links to previous games.
      Well, I remember Wesker being in 5, but not 4, so he can't have featured too heavily, and Ada's more of a Leon character than a Resi character. A couple of characters and a few oblique references don't go that far in making it like the earlier games in my book.

To me, Resi 4 is to the earlier games what the Chronicles of Riddick stuff is to Pitch Black.

From a plot perspective, 5 is much more like the original games.

Comment

Of course 5 is, it featured Wesker as the main enemy. 4 does feel a bit more like a standard Resi game that 5 though in terms of atmosphere and level design, the Castle.

Comment

I posted on this thread 16 years ago and yet never got around to ever playing RE4… until now. In VR. What happened to those years? I can feel the clammy hands of death ever closer, a darkness… wait, I got distracted. Anyway, yes, I’m playing this in VR and I have a couple of questions.

First is on item management. Is what I’ve got on me all there is? As in no place to store anything? I see other weapons for sale but I wouldn’t have space for more than one of each type and even then my own space is very limited. Is the idea that I sell my existing weapons to upgrade?

Actually, related - is it possible to buy ammo from the merchant? He seems to have a load of it but I can’t find a way to buy it.

My next question is one of difficulty. The VR version gives you an easy or normal choice and I went with normal. I’m just at the ski lift part now and I’m wondering if I chose poorly and should start again on easy. I found the cabin assault part really tough and died many times over there and wouldn’t really have the patience for more parts like that. And yet I did make it through. Does it get much harder than that part? If so, I’d be tempted to start over on easy but if you reckon surviving that part means I’d be okay for most of it, I’d probably just keep playing through. I’m old and impatient when it comes to game over screens now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            I posted on this thread 16 years ago and yet never got around to ever playing RE4… until now. In VR. What happened to those years? I can feel the clammy hands of death ever closer, a darkness… wait, I got distracted. Anyway, yes, I’m playing this in VR and I have a couple of questions.

First is on item management. Is what I’ve got on me all there is? As in no place to store anything? I see other weapons for sale but I wouldn’t have space for more than one of each type and even then my own space is very limited. Is the idea that I sell my existing weapons to upgrade?
            I have played RE4 probably a couple dozen times so I'm just assuming the VR will keep all the core mechanics of the game intact.
            You get more powerful/better weapons as the game goes on, whether you find them or buy them, whenever you get a new handgun or shotgun just sell the old one no point having multiple.
            You can also buy bigger attache/weapon cases as the game goes on.

Actually, related - is it possible to buy ammo from the merchant? He seems to have a load of it but I can’t find a way to buy it.
            No, but if you upgrade the capacity of a gun it will automatically be full to the size of the clip giving you that much ammo for free, so it can help to leave guns clips empty before you upgrade the capacity at a merchant.

My next question is one of difficulty. The VR version gives you an easy or normal choice and I went with normal. I’m just at the ski lift part now and I’m wondering if I chose poorly and should start again on easy. I found the cabin assault part really tough and died many times over there and wouldn’t really have the patience for more parts like that. And yet I did make it through. Does it get much harder than that part? If so, I’d be tempted to start over on easy but if you reckon surviving that part means I’d be okay for most of it, I’d probably just keep playing through. I’m old and impatient when it comes to game over screens now.
            I would say persevere on normal. It's a good level of challenge for a first time play. That's notoriously one of the harder parts of the game, there's another which is sort of hard in The upcoming Castle area about mid way through, but the original did have some exploits to make it easier (involves going out of the room and back in and it autosaved after some of the many enemies had been killed)

Try to use the knife as much as possible, a common tactic is one shot to the knee or face for your main enemies, then you can run up and press the button to do a kick, supplex etc, then when they're on the ground just knife them as much as you can, saves a lot on ammo. Many enemies can be baited into lunging for you and then you move back/out of the way and can knife them a couple times which should then semi-stun them and you can use the context sensitive kick/supplex etc button on them again. Which also hurts any other enemies in reach as well as the one you're focusing on.

Comment

Ouenben! I feel like it has been ages since I’ve seen you around. Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I must admit I have barely been using the knife and maybe I need to start. Although I have been using the kick trick, which helps. But I just beat a boss in a barn and used up almost all of my ammo and healing items on him. I have loads of money but I have just made it into the castle and I’m not sure I have enough ammo to keep me going for the next part.

Comment

You should be rinsing this with VR controls. The Wii version is a walk in the park because of pointer control.

Comment

[MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION] perhaps the title of the for sale forum now makes sense?

Comment

[MENTION=4978]Ouenben[/MENTION] good to see you

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                      [MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION] perhaps the title of the for sale forum now makes sense?
                      FINALLY!

Comment

This game’s tension for me mostly seems to be in the ammo levels. The game is pretty relentless and I keep thinking I’ve hit a point where I won’t have enough ammo to continue. Deep into the castle and there was a part where I had to protect Ashley from guys on a platform above, which meant using up my ammo. Then there were sewer creatures and I used up my ammo. Then a whole bunch of guys and a huge gun and even guys with rocket launchers and, yep, used up my ammo. But each time it gives me just a touch more and I continue. I do hope I don’t hit a point where I totally run out though.

The castle section looks pretty amazing in VR. I’m just right there inside it and the graphics look pretty good in there. It works really well. Somehow more believable than the earlier parts in terms of immersion.

Comment

Okay that Ashley section was pretty terrifying in VR.

Comment

The thread that keeps on giving looking forward to reading some VR impressions, I’m sure my GamCube impressions are in here somewhere Lol.

Comment

I’m in some island lab now and still endlessly terrified of running out of ammunition. This place feels very old school RE, with all the early games having a similar lab part in the later parts of the games. It looks great in VR, mainly because the geometry is fine being a bit simpler and I really feel like I’m there when I play, more so than the opening of the game in the village areas.

Just met some new creatures and pumped every single shotgun shell I have to get them to die and then got an attachment for the rifle that makes that much easier. So I probably could have saved that shotgun ammo but I have been switching weapons to try to balance my ammo. I am pretty sure it is a tactic that will bite me hard in the ass but I have been selling my weapons when I run out of ammo and buying weapons I have ammo for and then doing that all over again when I run out of that ammo. But the tune up costs each time mean I’m not sure I can keep doing that. For the first time in the entire game I have run out of money.

Comment

For the first time in the entire game I have run out of money.
                                Brexit.

Comment

Working...
                                X