Speaker cable advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaker cable advice

I've bought a JVC pro logic TV, and just ordered the recommended JVC rear speakers for it. I need speaker cable, but prices are ridiculous (ie hificables.co.uk up to ?200 for a few metres of cable). I want about 5m or a few more to put the cable around the room perimeter, and don't want to pay silly money. I'm not looking for fantastic mindblowing sound that requires stupidly expensive speaker cables, just a cheapo cable, or somewhere that charges by the metre, cables that are good and won't degrade the sound if I have a good tv and good speakers.

All advice appreciated!

I'm 99% sure that What Hi-Fi said that a good rule was to spend about 10% of the price of your system on the cabling for it.
    Of course, I'd imagine that you'd get diminishing returns the more you spent, but if you've got something pricey, I'd expect to pay for cabling.

Comment

If you only need about 5m, then get some decent cable. QED Silver Anniversary cable is fantastic and goes for ?4.50 per metre:

Also think about connectors. Banana plugs are the best, but it depends on the connectors on your amp and speakers.

Comment

just go to Dixons or Curry's and the like, and pick up speaker wire there, a roll(15-20m) of JVC brand wire is about ?15. there is no need to spend more than a ?1 a metre for speaker wire just for satelite speakers for a TV. totally different matter when you have cinema system....

you never know you might get some wire with the speakers.

Comment

QED Silver Anniversary is gorgeous cable, but I agree - its overkill for little TV satellite speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by mid
            QED Silver Anniversary is gorgeous cable, but I agree - its overkill for little TV satellite speakers.
            Lovely stuff but you're right, it won't make much difference on a basic DPL set-up.

"hificables.co.uk up to ?200 for a few metres of cable"
            Don't know which you're looking at but Silver Anniversary will do a high end set-up justice. You're talking about major l337 home cinema people who would spend moe than ?5/m.

Comment

You could always try maplins.

10 metres of 42 strand core, heavy duty cable for a fiver.

It's cheap but it'll do the job.

Comment

Try Russ andrews (www.russandrews.com) for some of their 'off the reel' cable. Should be about ?40 -60 but it won't be terminated. Russ andrews are really good - even the cheaper stuff.

Oh, by the by, cabling makes a bigggggggg difference, even on cheap cheap stuff. I have run a system of about ?500 with ?5000 worth of cabling - it sounded nice

Comment

I'm another one who uses the QED silver anniversary cable with my Kef speakers and Yamaha amp and it's a big thumbs up from me.
                  Speaker cable does make a difference but it can only produce sound to the level of the quality of the AV product. You will never get fantastic mindblowing sound from a tv's internal amplification so i would forget about anything remotely expensive for your requirements.
                  A roll of cable from Maplin for example will suit your needs perfectly
                  In all honesty i wouldn't be suprised if the speakers you have ordered actually came with some cable anyway

Comment

They probably do. Perhaps I was confused as a scart splitter from Argos didn't come with a cable to connect it. I'll see when the speakers arrive, thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                    X