No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the recommendation [MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION] I will check it out. Not been reading so much lately, keep staying up too late playing Destiny so too sleepy. Currently reading The Death of Dulgath by Michael J Sullivan, I love his books, quite easy reading and fun.

Comment

Cheers, Wicky. I think you'll enjoy it.

Although I can read, sometimes without pictures, I get through most of my books in audiobook format on my daily commute.
      Seems like a good use of the time and I've got through loads more stories than if I was just reading because, like you, I'd usually rather be gaming.

Comment

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. Reading it for school.

Comment

The Shining. Well into the last third now. It's brilliant.

I love the film, I love Stephen King, but for some reason I never got round to reading The Shining. I finally bought a Kindle on Sunday and this was the book to christen it

Comment

I've never read The Shining, so let me know if it finishes strong.
            I love some King, but others really frustrate.

I recently finished Hunter, which had a really strong start, but went downhill.
            "Two people, passionately in love.
            But each hides a deadly secret.
            He is a crusading vigilante, on a violent quest for justice.
            She is tracking this unknown assassin, sworn to stop him.
            Neither realizes the truth about the other.
            And neither knows that a terrifying predator is hunting them both . . .
            ‹"

I'm now on The Power, which has vibes of World War Z and Robopocalypse as it recounts past events as historical documentation.
            In this case, it's when females gain the ability to kill men with just a touch.
            "In The Power the world is a recognisable place: there's a rich Nigerian kid who lounges around the family pool; a foster girl whose religious parents hide their true nature; a local American politician; a tough London girl from a tricky family. But something vital has changed, causing their lives to converge with devastating effect. Teenage girls now have immense physical power - they can cause agonising pain and even death. And, with this small twist of nature, the world changes utterly.
            This extraordinary novel by Naomi Alderman, a Sunday Times Young Writer of the Year and Granta Best of British writer, is not only a gripping story of how the world would change if power was in the hands of women but also exposes, with breath-taking daring, our contemporary world."

I've lost so many reviews in The BD Purge!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              I shall keep you posted. But I'm a bit of a fanboy so keep that in mind

I love some King, but others really frustrate.
              Yeah, I agree ... some can feel like a 500 page book in 800 pages. But it's hard to knock the guy ...

The Stand is still my favourite. It was rumoured to be getting a (4-film?) adaptation with Matthew McConaughey playing Randall Flagg.

Shawshank is always revered as the ultimate adaptation but I think Rob Reiner's efforts (Stand By Me & Misery) are right up there with it.

Comment

The Essential Dogen: Writings of the Great Zen Master

Good read. Very Japanese, very strict, has its own distinct flavour compared to Chan Buddhism (Chinese Zen Buddhism) despite pointing to the same experience and apparent paradoxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  I shall keep you posted. But I'm a bit of a fanboy so keep that in mind

Yeah, I agree ... some can feel like a 500 page book in 800 pages. But it's hard to knock the guy ...

The Stand is still my favourite. It was rumoured to be getting a (4-film?) adaptation with Matthew McConaughey playing Randall Flagg.

Shawshank is always revered as the ultimate adaptation but I think Rob Reiner's efforts (Stand By Me & Misery) are right up there with it.
                  Under The Dome is probably the biggest book I've read (it's hard to gauge when I mainly read on Kindle now!), but it didn't feel like a slog. I recently read Dark Tower 1 and there's whole load of bloating that other readers love immersing themselves in.

I bloody love The Running Man though.

As for adaptions, I quite like the TV adaptation of The Stand. Also, I think Maximum Overdrive is a guilty pleasure, although King has stated it's the worst adaptation of his work.

Comment

A book called Sirens, by Joseph Knox.
                    Recommended by James O’Brien and was only a few quid on Kindle.

It’s a gripping crime thriller full of murder, betrayal and speed.

Comment

I'm currently reading "The History of Superglue".

i can't put it down.

Comment

Lollercopter One, crashed and burned!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          All finished, all good. To be honest, as soon as the Overlook wakes up the book never dips.

Comment

Found myself reading a stray copy of Shutter Island that's been on the A&E kitchen table for about two months. Had a quiet phase on Tues and had done both Metro crosswords so I decided to give it a blast.

Haven't seen the movie but everyone seems to rave about it. I didn't really think it was that great a book, I'd guessed the inevitable 'twist' at the very start, it was OK but all a bit brown and meh.

Not really a fan of this author, I read Mystic River back in t'day and came away similarly underwhelmed. Just...very brown writing.

But OK.

Comment

Back on Dune again.

It's too hot and humid here, though, so it'll be a right slog. I'll probably put it on hold until the weather is better.

Comment

I finished The Power and I really enjoyed it.
                                There are several strands of characters, all seemingly separate, but their paths cross eventually. Pretty much all of them are interesting and some are riveting. It's not perfect and some of the comparisons of men and women is a little clumsy, but I never lost interest and really wanted to find out how the story concluded.

I'm now on to The Gardens of Nibiru (The Ember War Saga #5).
                                It's the fifth book in the military sci-fi series, and I'm obviously enjoying it if I'm still reading them!
                                They're a bit like Aliens and Babylon 5 as it follows some space marines and the interplanetary diplomacy of the remaining humans after the Earth is attacked by marauding aliens.

I think I'm doing the series a disservice by reducing it down to a paragraph, because I really like the series.
                                The initial story was gripping - a messenger probe lands on Earth and guides a scientist to fast-forward human technology so that when an approaching alien apocalyptic force arrives, they're ready for it.
                                Following on from that set up, the books follow the Earth's resistance as we find we're not alone and we have to find out just who's ne our side, who's trying to eat us and who's manipulating us into getting eaten.
                                The characters are great, with a few standouts like Standish.
                                The narration is really well done by Luke Daniels who handles most of the accents pretty well, even when there are several aliens speaking, they all have a unique voice. The only one he can't do is Welsh.

Comment

Working...
                                X