No announcement yet.

What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catcher was considered pretty shocking at the time (1951), but it was banned from schools, library's and colleges because of the content and the powerful way it was written rather than the swearing. A victim of its own success i guess. People read catcher and they don't feel a trace of the author - it's ALL holden. It never once breaks character, which makes it a pretty pursuasive book for adults let alone kids. Then consider that catcher is about a teenager from an affluent family having a nervous breakdown, dismissing society, exploring sexuality, getting in fights, abandoning education, running away, lying nonstop, and generally finding the human condition to be futile. Not the kind of thing 1950s headmasters wanted their kids reading with all that rock and a roll music on the horizon.

I'm rereading it right now, and i don't know how it does it, i'm not that great a critic, but of all the books i read as a kid, holden is the only character that still has the same razor sharp edge as he did when i was 15.

Comment

Originally posted by dug
      The Song Of Susannah - Stephen King - gripping but I can't shake the feeling that the last book will be a complete let-down like every single other Stephen King story ever
      I really do need to get a bumper sticker that says, "Sweeping generalizations are for the weak-minded."

As for me, I thought "Song Of Susannah" was quite good. I was worried about where things might be going with King actually writing himself fully into the story, but I ended up loving it. He was in it, but he was a character, and not just... himself. It's hard to describe the way it came off to me. But I'm mostly surprised with how little story time the book actually covered. One day? Wow. He really does have a lot of story to get through in book seven (due out, buy the way, in late September). Here's hoping the series ends on a rocking good note.

I've also just finished "Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy" and "Rendevous With Rama." Both were first reads for me, and both were excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by bowser123
        One other thing does anybody know of anything similar in style to Orwells 1984? I've read A bRave New World by Huxley and enjoyed it, can't see anything similar though. Any recommendations?
        Or maybe what else of Orwells to read? I've done 1984 and Animal Farm.
        You could try reading "Island", another one by Huxley... It's about his vision of Utopia with some pretty interesting ideas. If you enjoyed Brave New World you'll enjoy the contrast.

Like Brave New World though I feel Huxley does try to make a point at the expense of the narrative at times but I still love the book.

If you like Orwell then I seriously recommend "Down and out in Paris and London" It's an excellent book and easily my favourite of Orwell's.

JRMacumber,

That first Rama book was excellent... the sequels are sometimes a little dodgy except for the last one, Rama Revealed, which I really enjoyed.
        Last edited by Valken; 04-07-2004, 15:43.

Comment

Originally posted by JRMacumber
          I really do need to get a bumper sticker that says, "Sweeping generalizations are for the weak-minded."
          But it's true. Well, nearly. Most of his books have bad endings. I hope I turn out to be wrong about this one because the first six have been excellent, but I reckon it will be an anticlimax. Then again, he is a (slightly) better writer than me, so maybe I should trust him to get it right.

Comment

Well having finished Dave Gormans Googlewhack adventure last night, I'm moving from one extreme to the other, and am about to begin Bret Easton Ellis' American Pyscho.

Dave Gormans googlewhack was an enjoyable read for around 3/4 of the book, but nearer the end it seemed to loose some of its integrity and its progression was far from smooth. I do recomend it to anyone who has a dry sense of humour, or anyone who enjoyed his tv show. I personally love the way he obsesses over the silliest of challenges, and he captures his passion for his quest onto each page brilliantly. Its lol funny in many places and you even start feeling for the guy on more than one occasion.

Im not sure if moving from a humourous travel account to bitter, bleak, black comedy says anything about my personality. If it does, then it seems I need serious mental help.
            Last edited by dave heats; 05-07-2004, 12:46.

Comment

Originally posted by dug
              But it's true. Well, nearly.
              Actually, it's not. Don't mistake opinion for fact, 'cause they ain't even kissing cousins.

Comment

Originally posted by Valken
                JRMacumber,

That first Rama book was excellent... the sequels are sometimes a little dodgy except for the last one, Rama Revealed, which I really enjoyed.
                That's the impression I've gotten from the reviews over at Amazon. I hate to hear that, too, as the first book was surprisingly gripping, especially given how dry it all was. I kept waiting for the Ramans, and even though I didn't get them I felt satisfied with the story as it was. Too bad it gets let down in the two sequels. Good to hear about that last book though. Thanks.

Comment

Just started "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime". Quality so far, hope its as hilarious the whole way through.

Comment

I've just finished "Quite Ugly One Morning" which was brilliant.... loved the plot... it was both gruesome and hilarious... loved it.

While I was reading it, some woman came up to me and said... "Excellent choice in book, its my favourite book ever, you should read all of Brookmyres books" and then she just walked away. Strange but true.

So I took her advice and bought "A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away"... I'll let you all know how it goes.

Comment

Finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. Quality read. Re-reading Great Gatsby then onto Da Vinci code.

Comment

Originally posted by cinabar
                        ...some woman came up to me and said... "Excellent choice in book, its my favourite book ever, you should read all of Brookmyres books" and then she just walked away. Strange but true.

So I took her advice and bought "A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away"... I'll let you all know how it goes.
                        I think he used to play Q2 that guy. I'm sure he was in clan potzw.

Comment

Wow!! I just googled him...

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Comment

Today I just finished a TPB from Dark Horse called "Fray." It was created and written by Joss Whedon, the man behind Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel. Anyway, Fray is a story set in the future about a new Slayer, and it is damn good. I wasn't sure if Whedon's trademark wit and snappy patter could carry over from the screen to the comic book panel, but it does, marvelously at that. Just fantastic in every respect. If you can, and if you like the Buffyverse, then I heartily suggest getting it.

Comment

I've just started Terra Incognita by Sara Wheeler, basically her auto biography of her 2 years spent doing research work in Antartica.

My first book for about 4 years

Comment

I'm about half way through Gangsters and Goodfellas by Henry Hill. If you've watched Goodfellas you'll know exactly who Henry is (Ray Liottas character). Well this book gives more detail to the events around where Goodfellas was set and his life after it.

It's very insightful and interesting, especially what Tommy (Joe Pescis character) was really like and who was the cause of his downfall.

The best thing is Goodfellas was a real story (based on another fantastic book) and this book fills in so much detail it's top, especially as the author is at the centre of all the action. Well recommended if you're into your gangster stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X