My New TV - Recommended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My New TV - Recommended

Just thought I'd post a thread to recommend the new telly I just bought to any gamers in need of a good set. It's a Sony KV32FX68S, which I bought from the slightly dubious RGBdirect for ?740. That price was substantially lower than the street price, though while it included VAT, it didn't include anything more than Sony's 1yr manufacturer's warranty. Instead, I've chosen to take out Sony's optional tube guarantee which insures your CRT for 3 additional years at less than 50 quid.

The TV arrived seven working days after it was ordered, though as you may see from the photos, Sony are having to send me a replacement right facia, as the factory sealed cabinet had two left ones in it (doh!). RGBdirect phoned last night to let me know it was coming, and they were at my door at 9.30 this morning. All in all, a good turnaround for such a reduction in price.

The reason I'm recommending the set is that, compared to my last telly (a Philips 32 inch Matchline 100hz widescreen), this one is the balls. Not only does it feature S-Video, Composite and 3 Scarts, two of which are RGB; the set displays an NTSC picture which is frankly indistinguishable from PAL. I could never stomach switching my Xbox to NTSC with the Philips as the colours washed out and the picture looked faded; not any more - this set has a frankly incredible NTSC picture.

It's a 100hz set, though it suffers practically no digital problems as a result (in comparison, my last set suffered 'em all). In fact, the only thing stopping it from having a perfect picture is that, for some reason, when I play movies via XBMP there's a slightly noticable bend in the edges of the picture. It's perfectly tolerable, and I'm hoping a Sony engineer will be able to correct the geometry via the service menu (which I aint ****in' touching, that's for sure).

The cabinet's lovely - an open-backed design with a nicely worked spine to contain all those loose leads. There's plenty of space for up to four consoles, and the frosted glass shelves are especially nice.

Anyhow - heartily recommended thus far. A great gaming set.

Look cool mate I've had a Sony TV for years, always thought it was the bomb, it's just a shame that it's 4:3 and only 25". That also looks like a pretty cool skin you are running there too, is it EvoX or MXM? And where might one find it?

Comment

Looks like a nice tv - is certainly one I'm considering as my next. Unfortunately my wife has made it abundantly clear the only way I'll be upgrading my current 50Hz, 28" Sony to the above 32" model is when our current one breaks. And stupidity with a sledgehammer doesn't count.

Comment

That's the cosmetic update on the model I have had for about a year now - top quality bit of kit.
        Even footy games, which are usually the bane of 100Hz sets, look fine with all the filters in place - top notch.

Comment

On the subject of 32" flat front widescreen 100Hz TVs, I'd also recommend my new one. I had given up on the idea of an upgrade, but until the end of the month ?700 at John Lewis buys you a Panasonic TX-32PS12, and they do ?70 off any Panny DVD or VHS deck when bought at the same time (making my new VHS ?30). Lovely picture, 3 scarts (2 are RGB), every brand of PAL and NTSC support.

The only really bad thing about it really is the fact that it weighs a mighty 60 Kilos. I had some real fun getting that one upstairs, I can tell you. No prog scan either, but at this price thats hardly surprising. Its normally ?900, but they've been forced to price match someone with a sale on, so its pretty blimmin' reasonably priced.

Comment

Working...
          X