This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    On a side note, how is it that Blair looks demonic in every photo taken of him now? It didn't used to be that way, at least not when he started.
    He aged a lot. Remember he had a heart attack.

Comment

I do not remember that he had a heart attack. That somehow passed me by. But then I went on a current affairs blackout for about 8 years or so at around the time of the last Iraq war for the sake of my mental health so maybe it happened during that.

Comment

I mean, I feel like it's the same update all the time like we're stuck in some sort of Groundhog Day scenario as May says she is willing to reopen the withdrawal agreement if no deal is found (she can't so that's a moot point) and seems to be lining up her ducks already to push things to a third 'meaningful vote if the second one fails which essentially confirms all of February lost too.

Meanwhile, Labour has now officially backed Yvette Coopers amendment which would see No Deal ruled out of the possible options should a deal not be agreed by 26 February and would force May to ask the EU to extend Article 50. This is a huge blow against May's can kicking efforts as the motion is considered likely to succeed now.

Comment

Turns out MPs do sometimes get prosecuted for lying: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...peeding-ticket

Comment

The list of amendments to be voted on tonight have been confirmed, in this order:

A - Labour’s
            pushes the party policy of avoiding no deal and instead seeking a form of customs union.

O - The SNP’s
            This notes that the Scottish and Welsh assemblies also “voted overwhelmingly to reject the prime minister’s deal”, calling for an extension of article 50 and no deal being removed as an option.

G - Dominic Grieve’s
            would allow parliament to take control in creating a series of indicative votes by decreeing that a motion put forward by a minority of 300 MPs from at least five parties – including 10 Tory MPs – would be debated as the first item for MPs in the Commons the next day.

B - Yvette Cooper’s
            would guarantee parliamentary time for a private members’ bill drafted by Cooper that would extend article 50 to the end of 2019 if Theresa May failed to secure a deal by late February.

J - Rachel Reeves’
            Signed by a cross-party group of remain-minded MPs, led by Labour’s Rachel Reeves, this would seek a two-year extension of article 50 if there is not a deal in place by 26 February.

I - Caroline Spelman’s
            this states that the UK will not leave the EU without a deal. It is only advisory and has no legislative force.

N - Graham Brady’s
            another attempt at making the backstop more palatable to Tory MPs, this says it should be “replaced with alternative arrangements to avoid a hard border”.

Depending on how each amendment is voted for, some may get knocked out the running

Comment

Although I'm worried about a no-deal situation too, I'm uncertain if options that "extend" Article 50 are much cop.

We had plenty of time and we ended up in this mess. If it's an extension, it needs to be "until the government and the EU agree", with no firm deadline. Otherwise in 3, 6, 9 or 12 months we'll just be doing the same dance all over again, surely?

Comment

The EU have been clear that they won't agree to extend Article 50 unless there's a radical change and that the legal text of the WA is not negotiable. So yes, they're pretty much a waste of time.

The EU must be shaking its head in disbelief.

Comment

Well, there is plenty of interest in US trade, it seems. But the cost... https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47036119

Comment

So far its looking like MPs are only going to support the amendment that sends May back to Brussels to be told to ---- off again and put as back at square one. Utterly useless.

Comment

May loses her first amendment, this one was a narrow one and isn't binding but in principle rejects a no deal scenario

Comment

And now they've passed the final amendment that calls on MPs to support Mays deal if the backstop is removed. Again, ruled out by the EU even as they voted.

So, no support for No Deal but no support for avoiding it either

Comment

Today's voting just seemed like bureaucracy for bureaucracies sake.

Comment

I'm assuming they go back to thumb twiddling now till they get to shoot down the second vote on her dud deal

Comment

I saw what happened and this was my feeling

Comment

Why didn't we lock them in and set fire to the building like in Game of Thrones? Much more democratic than this ****show.

Comment

Working...
                                X