Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video gameplay capture and stream device advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video gameplay capture and stream device advice!

My son wants to stream/capture video games on YouTube. I know there are millions of these, but I'd rather he did his own channel than sit there gawping at someone else's.

Any ideas guys?

I have a MacBook Pro (2016) with the following specs:

macOS Mojave
    Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 16 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3
    Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 540 1536MB

So what are you asking here exactly?

You need to provide specifics. Are you hoping to capture from a console, or perhaps your MacBook?

This is a good tool that most people tend to use for streaming: https://obsproject.com/

Think an i5 with integrated graphics would struggle to both game and stream/capture video though apart from lighter stuff. Maybe some Fornite on low or Minecraft if you're lucky.

If you're looking to capture HDMI from a console you'll need external hardware.

Comment

Yeah sorry. More specifics inbound...

So, we want to be able to stream the Nintendo Switch/PS4 gameplay on YouTube. The reason I brought up the MacBook, is that is what I would be using to help with the capturing? I dunno.

The internet seems to this Elgato HD60Swill be the solution. But as you say, maybe my computer won't be up to it.

Comment

Is he doing audio? Speech?

If he is, I always give the same advice - spend less on the video, more on the audio. Whilst to be really successful you need both to be good, people will not usually "tune out" of a stream with middling video (as long as the capture's smooth) but they will immediately tune out if the audio quality is grating. He needs a decent quality mic.

Next bit of advice is if he wants to a do a picture-in-picture or chroma-key webcam feed, get a decent enough camera, but more importantly, spend a bit of money and do some research on lighting. It's better to have no webcam feed than have one which looks like you're sitting in a cave.

Comment

Oh yeah and probably want to do the cam face view in the corner. I just realized he can do this already on PS4. We have the camera.

But he wants to do a Mario Odyssey playthrough.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post

If he is, I always give the same advice - spend less on the video, more on the audio. Whilst to be really successful you need both to be good, people will not usually "tune out" of a stream with middling video (as long as the capture's smooth) but they will immediately tune out if the audio quality is grating. He needs a decent quality mic.

Next bit of advice is if he wants to a do a picture-in-picture or chroma-key webcam feed, get a decent enough camera, but more importantly, spend a bit of money and do some research on lighting. It's better to have no webcam feed than have one which looks like you're sitting in a cave.

Great advice. Thanks.
            I have a Blue Snowball mic, so hopefully that will suffice?
            As for the camera, can you use a phone? I have a Samsung Galaxy 8, although, I'd rather not use the phone. I have an iPad 2. Guessing that's not too decent. Any recommendations that won't break the bank for both camera and lighting?

Comment

I used a Samsung Galaxy 8 once to film a playthrough of Mario 1 and the file size was quite a few gig, despite it being like an half hour vid. It's not too bad if you have the time to compress it through Handbrake or through Adobe premiere

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                Great advice. Thanks.
                As for the camera, can you use a phone? I have a Samsung Galaxy 8, although, I'd rather not use the phone. I have an iPad 2. Guessing that's not too decent. Any recommendations that won't break the bank for both camera and lighting?
                Check out this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqeCHzk2RdA

Configuration of the audio software is as important as the mic, and the lighting is more important than raw camera quality.

It's a great fun hobby to get into; just bear in mind it's quite a bit of work to get a good result and spending more money doesn't let you circumvent that work; it just makes the end result better.
                Last edited by Asura; 10-01-2019, 18:35.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                  It will. That's what I was going to get based off of reviews. An absolute ton of those Elgato HD60 things going on Ebay after everyone realised they won't make twenty-seven billion a year playing Fortnite. I have a first-gen one here you could have had for cheap but it's pointless after factoring in the shipping to the UK - may as well just get one off Ebay.
                  Last edited by dataDave; 10-01-2019, 20:22.

Comment

Working...
                  X