X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
    Worse than Thatcher,
    The thing is, people might hate Thatcher (people I was surrounded with growing up; I was too young to really voice an opinion on the matter from a first-hand perspective) but you can at least say that she had political goals and led the government to try and achieve them - irrespective of if you believe those goals to be fundamentally good or evil.

I don't understand what May stands for. I mean, in part I do - she stands because no-one else did - but I mean I have no clear idea of what her aims or goals are, or what her intentions were in becoming party leader. People like Thatcher, Corbyn, even people like Churchill (hell, even dictators and suchlike) - one thing they all had in common is that their goals in politics are more important to them than people liking them or their desire to have a political career. A good politician has aims, stands by them, and if they get voted out, they can do so with their head held high, because they obviously stood for a cause that the public did not share.

May's going to go down as a footnote at best.

Comment

It feels almost like a duty bound thing to update the thread subtitle now the end date is nearing, the current situations creator goes unnoted for such long stretches

Comment

Let us never forget that we are in this ****storm because of the Conservatives. Say what you want about Labour, but the Tories did this to us.

Comment

I will never forget. I also won’t vote labour until someone other than that ****wit Corbyn is charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            I don't understand what May stands for. I mean, in part I do - she stands because no-one else did - but I mean I have no clear idea of what her aims or goals are, or what her intentions were in becoming party leader..
            You need to look at what she did as Home Secretary; she's been anti-immigration, anti free speech, pro mass surveillance for as long as she's been an MP: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...retary-tell-us - this is what Theresa May stands for.

Protocol Penguin is right, she's a nasty piece of work.

Comment

"What's Plan A+ as championed by Rees Mogg and Johnson?" I hear you ask.

It's this that they'd very much like to see happen and why they're desperate for a no deal brexit: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ing-thinktanks

Comment

Genuine MEGATON Inbound

European court of justice’s advocate general says article 50 can be revoked without needing permission of all EU members

A Senior Advisor to the European Court of Justice has stated that the UK can withdraw Article 50 without the EU's agreement. Neither the UK Government or the EU Commission support this position and it fires a direct shot through the final months Brexit Deal scenario. This is because if the ECJ ultimately rules this to be the case then it means that MP's will hold the power to pull the plug on absolutely everything at the last minute thereby keeping the UK in the EU with its full entitlements and position with no discussion, referendum or vote on the matter as long as enough MP's want to avert Brexit and No Deal scenarios come March. The Senior Advisors are said to be a major boost to the chances the ECJ will rule this way which will return the final ruling to Scottish Courts, what do you think they'll decide?

The deliciously ironic reasoning for why the UK may be able to yank Article 50? Because it's our sovereign right.

If the ECJ cements this position expect the next months worth of Parliamentary positioning on Brexit to change rapidly and dramatically.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  Genuine MEGATON Inbound

European court of justice’s advocate general says article 50 can be revoked without needing permission of all EU members

A Senior Advisor to the European Court of Justice has stated that the UK can withdraw Article 50 without the EU's agreement. Neither the UK Government or the EU Commission support this position and it fires a direct shot through the final months Brexit Deal scenario. This is because if the ECJ ultimately rules this to be the case then it means that MP's will hold the power to pull the plug on absolutely everything at the last minute thereby keeping the UK in the EU with its full entitlements and position with no discussion, referendum or vote on the matter as long as enough MP's want to avert Brexit and No Deal scenarios come March. The Senior Advisors are said to be a major boost to the chances the ECJ will rule this way which will return the final ruling to Scottish Courts, what do you think they'll decide?

The deliciously ironic reasoning for why the UK may be able to yank Article 50? Because it's our sovereign right.

If the ECJ cements this position expect the next months worth of Parliamentary positioning on Brexit to change rapidly and dramatically.
                  Ahaha hahaha haha. Brilliant.

Edit. F**k you May. F you.
                  Last edited by fishbowlhead; 04-12-2018, 10:11.

Comment

But what about the WILLODEEPEEPL?!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      But what about the WILLODEEPEEPL?!
                      Will the imigunts come for my job now???

Comment

As the Guardian rightly labels it - a farce

Utter embarrassment to their country, playing childrens games with each other over something nobody even cares about.

Comment

We should call it what it really is, a distraction from the real debate in parliament by the MPs that will be the ones voting on whether to accept May's deal (spoiler: they won't).

Comment

The BBC has pulled the rug from under May's feet and backed out of hosting a debate on Brexit at the w/e.

This means May has to accept the ITV proposal or look like she's ducking out from another face-to-face debate.

She will of course duck out from another face-to-face debate.

The broadcaster offered to air a debate, but Labour had criticised the proposed format.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                              The BBC has pulled the rug from under May's feet and backed out of hosting a debate on Brexit at the w/e.

This means May has to accept the ITV proposal or look like she's ducking out from another face-to-face debate.
                              To be fair, the BBC's format should be used. We have more than two political parties in this country; national government isn't like a boxing match between May and Corbyn; it's meant to be a debate.

This whole thing is an absolute shambles.

Comment

MPs back motion declaring ministers in contempt of parliament over Brexit legal advice

MPs have now passed the main motion declaring ministers in contempt of parliament over their failure to publish the Brexit legal advice in full by 311 votes to 293 - a majority of 18. The motion also orders the “immediate publication” of the document.
                                Government is in contempt.

They will apparently publish the legal advice in full now - but I'm not sure that means the relevant MPs get out of jail over it. Cox could be removed from the commons - in reality it should be May that's removed, given it will have been her decision to ignore the humble address.

This has now become known as a Cox-Wallop.
                                Last edited by MartyG; 04-12-2018, 16:16.

Comment

Working...
                                X