No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It does seem like an ideal card for me to upgrade my AMD 290 to but £350 is rough. I suppose it'll depend how well I can run DOOM Eternal.

Comment

I can't imagine Doom Eternal will be an issue at all. Targeting PS4/XBO at 60fps with dynamic res. Even the current 1060 can run Doom over 100fps at 1080p on highest settings.

And yes £350 is rough. Unfortunately GPU prices are awful atm.

Comment

I am really really hoping the rumors about the AMD graphics cards are true with the pricing and performance.

Oh saw also mentioned on sites that Nvidia is going to be supporting Freesync monitors (well saying making certain free sync monitors) compatible with g-sync

Comment

Cards post-GTX1070/1080 are all useless. There won't be a worthwhile new release till around 2021/2022

Comment

Actually the RTX 2060 is listed as £329.99 for the FE on Nvidia's store. So the £350 - £390 prices speculated are obviously guesses for the partner cards which may be a smidgen faster/better coolers etc.

[MENTION=345]Superman Falls[/MENTION]. It's just a shame as the x060 used to be a c.£200+ card placed as the start of the midrange.
            Last edited by Digfox; 08-01-2019, 08:34.

Comment

All seems completely ott these new cards and utterly pointless if your still on a 1080p monitor.

Comment

The Division 2 won't be on Steam, but it will be on the Epic Games store

Epic has stepped up its battle with Valve for PC video game sales by cutting a deal with Ubisoft to pull The Division 2 from Steam and instead bring it to its own store.
                The Division 2, due out 15th March, will also be sold on Ubisoft's own Uplay platform, as you'd expect.
                Doesn't say if it's exclusive to the Epic Games Store forever or timed, but still. I did suggest earlier in this thread the removal of UPlay points might be linked to a change in the Ubisoft PC games strategy.

Comment

I'd already been getting weird vibes that anticipation for Division 2 was low, this won't help Ubisoft.

Comment

[MENTION=345]Superman Falls[/MENTION] - Really?

It's probably going to be Ubisoft's most successful game launch ever. Certainly if it repeats what the original did. I'd be surprised if it wasn't a roaring success. The few posts on the 'net from the Alpha (even though these people are under NDA's) have been very positive.

I think that developer on ResetEra summed it up well, in that clearly Ubisoft has all the metrics for this, and whilst they lose access to Steam users they gain access to a large audience on Epic's platform that may be more valuable per user. Either way they are savvy enough to make a decision to go where the most money is.

In other news, AMD announce a new high end GPU: AMD announces Radeon 7 graphics card with 16GB VRAM at CES 2019 - Finally, Nvidia has competition at the high end. [Eurogamer]

Ignoring the tag line from EG, for UK users it appears this is Nvidia RTX 2080 performance for (nearly) the same money

In the US it's $699 versus the Nvidia 2080's $799 RRP so probably more of a bargain. It'll depend on UK prices but they are probably likely to start at £650-700. Nvidia's partner cards do currently start at just under the £700 mark (Nvidia £749.99).

Seems like a bit of a dud/disappointment.

Comment

It's a simple refresh on a new manufacturing node and that has been known for quite some time, I don't really get why people expected more.
                      The news around Ryzen 3 are much more interesting, I was hoping for an earlier release but still lines up nicely with my plans for a new PC.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                        It's a simple refresh on a new manufacturing node and that has been known for quite some time, I don't really get why people expected more.
                        I think the bigger criticism is more the pricing of the new cards, rather than the tech. Even if on places like this we had suspected AMD wouldn't fight on price too much, I suspect people were hoping (praying?) to see performance at a much better price than Nvidia's current offerings.
                        Last edited by Digfox; 10-01-2019, 09:31.

Comment

Re: Division 2

It just feels like it's getting lost amongst the Jan-March slew of releases. It's certainly one of the titles I hope does well, the original was a surprisingly great game but things feel more muted around it than they usually are for a major Ubi-game currently.

Comment

[MENTION=345]Superman Falls[/MENTION]

I don't see that at all. I do feel there is some nervousness around the monitisation and how that may be more aggressive. And also the 'Destiny 2' factor, in that there's a chance the game resets everything and regresses. But again I'd be stunned if this doesn't break records for Ubisoft as the original game did.

Comment

Hopefully it's set up like the original, I just did the solo experience of Dv1 and easily got enough value out of it. My only concern with Dv2 is that the location doesn't seem to have as much character as the original and that there might not be enough visual variety for the hours it'll take. Certainly seems a safer bet than Anthem though

Comment

Catherine is on Steam now. It's the original release and not the new one that's coming out with extra content which is weird but whatever, I'm picking it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X