Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s not an unreasonable comparison although the differences you have already pointed out are pretty vast (age, agreements rather than colonisation).

Comment

May has promised that austerity's end is now in sight, borrowing caps on councils to build new homes have been lifted, the academies plan will continue, public services spending will rise and she also says that the UK has been offered two Brexit options by the EU and neither is acceptable - the EU needs to opens itself to an alternative because she isn't scared of choosing No Deal

Comment

I don't know what cards we hold, but surely it can't be a good idea telling the EU that the deals they offer are no good.
        Also...the return of the May-bot in front of the world? Seriously??

Comment

The only cards we hold are a pair of deuces.

We're about to go all-in with a losing hand.

Comment

More on that losing hand: https://www.theguardian.com/business...st-hard-brexit

The EU will not budge on the four freedoms; they have been entirely consistent on this since before the referendum, so May needs to drop the pointless hubris and her red lines and swallow a large dose of reality pills before she does a lot of (unnecessary) economic damage.

Comment

Are we all happy now? Did the exiters get what they wanted? Going nice and smoothly I see. Good good.
              Last edited by fishbowlhead; 04-10-2018, 13:13.

Comment

Her refusal to even acknowledge that her plan contradicts immovable rules for the EU is why I can't help but constantly feel like Chequers is a smokescreen and that the Tories are in fact, and for a while now, fully accepting and committing to No Deal behind closed doors.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  Her refusal to even acknowledge that her plan contradicts immovable rules for the EU is why I can't help but constantly feel like Chequers is a smokescreen and that the Tories are in fact, and for a while now, fully accepting and committing to No Deal behind closed doors.
                  Thing is, and I feel bad for defending them - but even if the EU stamp their feet, May has to insist that we will be leaving the freedom of movement principle. I don't feel she has a choice. It's why so many people voted Leave. The Leave base will start asking what the point in this whole ****show was if the government keeps it.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    Thing is, and I feel bad for defending them - but even if the EU stamp their feet, May has to insist that we will be leaving the freedom of movement principle. I don't feel she has a choice. It's why so many people voted Leave. The Leave base will start asking what the point in this whole ****show was if the government keeps it.
                    Whilst I also believe this to be the case, the problem is the vote was whether or not to leave the EU. The gov are making the assumption that the above is the main reason why, which just highlights what a total cluster**** the whole thing was right from the very beginning.

Comment

Yep. And the thing about making an assumption like that is that, even if completely correct (which I think it probably is), if you break down what percentage of Leave voters voted for that reason, you will end up with well under a majority so it's harder to stick to the 'will of the people' thing. As it is, the vote was too close. Double down on a specific within that, which wasn't actually voted on, and it's harder to claim this is a democratic process without a clarifying vote on specifics.

Comment

I hadn't even thought about that, yep. For a while I was going to vote leave, never because of the free movement thing though. So yeah, we're potentially picking a hill to die on that the majority of people don't even care about, or would rather keep! MADNESS!!!!

Comment

It's not about free movement of people for some folk, like Rees-Mogg: https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/ne...-market/07/02/

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                            It's not about free movement of people for some folk, like Rees-Mogg: https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/ne...-market/07/02/
                            Did people really think any of the politicians involved in this were doing it for anything other than some kind of kick back later?, awwww bless.

Comment

I'm actually thinking we should put the Royal Family back in charge and ditch the government all together at this point.

Comment

Nah, people voted leave to get out from under the control of the germans etc, not put more of them in charge

Comment

Working...
                                X