The Raid 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Raid 3

Missed this one, apparently plans are afoot for a third entry in The Raid series. The current plan is for the film to be kind of a prequel, set 2 hours before Raid 2. Gareth Evans has suggested he will direct again himself though he first plans to take 2-3yrs away from action films first so it's a long wait.

In 2011, filmmaker Gareth Evans delivered the Indonesian martial arts thriller “The Raid” – a collection of incredible martial arts set pieces linked together by a high concept and assembled into a work of super streamlined pacing. Last year’s “The Raid 2” took a whole different track, delivering an enormous gangster epic involving multiple characters, […]

Want an estimate for the planned final Raid film? Gareth Evans gives us one... 2018/2019... possibly

Comment

They need to bring it back to be more in line with the first film. The sequel was great with amazing set pieces including the car chase but the whole thing was too long and I was getting tired towards the end to appreciate the skills on screen.

Original film was by far the best for me - tenser atmosphere, a contained environment, a simpler plot, better run time (100 mins compared to 150 mins) and all wrapped up with a great soundtrack.

Comment

I didn't even notice how long the second one was when I was watching it.

Comment

Yeah, I've seen it several times and I've never had an issue with the running time.

It's a shame Evans wants to wait so long as there's nobody else making action like him at moment.

Comment

I watched The Raid 2 again a couple of weeks ago and it felt like the perfect length. A wide variety of action sequences, none of which outstayed their welcome, with expert pacing. Couldn't fault the film.

Comment

Sounds like The Raid 3 isn't going to happen.

In 2011, film-goers worldwide got their ass-kicked by the cinematic experience that was writer/director Gareth Evans' The Raid... but if you were hoping for a trilogy, we have bad news.

"The Raid 3 was... at one point it was on my radar. I had a full idea. I know what the storyline would have been. But I think enough time has passed now that I think I'm not likely to go back and revisit it. We had a lot of fun making those films, and I think we came to a nice, sort of natural conclusion with [The Raid 2]. And I think sometimes you can have a little bit too much of a good thing."

Comment

Not a surprise really, like the second film it needed to happen at the time under the same momentum and it felt like the chances were over as soon as he took on the Godzilla gig and it paid off.

Comment

Wait, isn’t the Godzilla guy a different dude? Wikipedia has frozen on my iPad so I can’t check. Anyway, this is a shame. Loved the first two. But I guess they are a pretty complete package. It’s not like a sequel is needed. Just would have been nice to have more.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    Wait, isn’t the Godzilla guy a different dude? Wikipedia has frozen on my iPad so I can’t check. Anyway, this is a shame. Loved the first two. But I guess they are a pretty complete package. It’s not like a sequel is needed. Just would have been nice to have more.
                    You're right, I don't know how I got that mixed up in my head Must be the similar names, ah, but yes - it's felt done for a while. Maybe also being involved in the set up of the planned US remake has meant for him it's always an ongoing franchise and its burnt him out on it

Comment

Ha ha ha, You're not the first one to make that mistake!

Gareth Huw Evans is the director of The Raid and Apostle.
                      Gareth Edwards is the director of Godzilla and Rogue One.

Someone should tell these guys!

The Raid's Gareth Edwards Directing Gangs Of London TV Series

Gareth Evans' Godzilla reboot officially hits theaters in 2014

Comment

Gareth Evans Godzilla I'd quite like to see

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                          You're right, I don't know how I got that mixed up in my head Must be the similar names, ah, but yes - it's felt done for a while. Maybe also being involved in the set up of the planned US remake has meant for him it's always an ongoing franchise and its burnt him out on it
                          Although I understand why this will happen it also saddens me. Why can't Hollywood be okay with an original film being enough and insist on remaking it for a supposed Western audience? The existing films are made to be watched and enjoyed by audiences from across the world. There's no reason for them to be remade imho.

If Evans doesn't direct another Raid film I won't be sad as the first two are pretty great. I would like to see him direct another martial arts-focused film though (either get Iko Uwais back or perhaps have a female lead for a change?)

Comment

With his Netflix film “Apostle” soon upon us, filmmaker Gareth Evans has been doing some press rounds and touched upon both an old and a more recent project he was linked to. First up, the “Deathstroke” movie based on the DC Comics character and starring Joe Manganiello reprising the role he played in the “Justice […]

With The Raid 3 now dead, Evans has revealed what the plan was for the closing chapter:

“I knew what I wanted to do with The Raid 3, I knew what that story was going to be. If I was ever going to make it, it really had to have happened after we made The Raid 2. The storyline was going to pick up – I’ll give you a little bit of it – if you were watching The Raid 2 and rewound from the ending about 15-20 minutes back to when Goto gives instructions to his right-hand man to go kill the police, kill the politicians, ;kill everyone that we work with, we’re going to start fresh,’ that was going to be the first scene of The Raid 3.
                            It was going to be more about the yakuza than it was going to be about Rama; Rama was not really going to feature in that storyline much at all, it was going to be about the bosses in Japan realizing that someone in Jakarta that represented them started to **** with the politicians and the police in a country they don’t belong in. It was going to be the fallout from that.
                            It was going to be a 95 minutes, 100 minutes, sort of… escape into the jungles of Indonesia type of thing. But it really needed to be made at that period of time. Four years, five years later to go back and try to recreate that, it felt a bit disingenuous. I made three martial arts films in a row, I wanted to explore other things first. It was always a cool idea, but it stopped being really special for me. The Raid, it gave me an awful lot that I’m very appreciative about, but that adventure is kind of over now.”

Comment

There’s little question that Welsh director Gareth Evans delivered the goods with both of his “The Raid” films, the Indonesian martial arts features raised the bar in terms of stunt work and choreography with its influence seen in other films since such as the “John Wick” franchise. Those films featured Iko Uwais as Rama, a […]

Evans gives a longer fleshed out breakdown of the plot of the dead The Raid 3

Comment

Working...
                              X