User Tag List

くにおくん 熱血コンプリート ファミコン編 Kunio Kun Nekketsu Complete Famicom Hen

I picked up this collection of 11 Kunio-Kun Famicom games on 3DS. Didn't bother with the limited edition, which also has a key ring.

Only had a quick game so far - a fighting game with abysmal collision detection and seemingly random whether you kick / punch to the left or to the right. Identical enemies swarmed me from either side, and eventually overwhelmed me. I didn't really buy it for its fighting games. Then I played one of the football games - there are two on the cart - this one seems to be what was released as Nintendo World Cup in the west, and although it's basic, it was great fun. If you haven't played it, it's a cartoon football game. You only control one player (a decade or so before Libero Grande did the same thing on PS) and you can issue commands to your team mates such as shoot or pass. It's easy but it's satisfying when your score.

I also like the Kunio-kun dodgeball games, but I haven't tried those yet.

Anyone else playing this?

I had the game preordered ever since it was announced, but ArcSys screwed up big time, first by constantly delaying its release (IIRC it was meant for January 2016, then almost disappeared from calendars), second by releasing multiple versions of this collection. The US got the River City Ransom remake plus a spin-off dodgeball game, then Japan got that with a few more extras, and finally this collection.
    I own the first Japanese release (it came out around October), and was thinking wheter or not getting this as well...in the end I decided not to, although I would have bought it for the sport spin-offs and not for the beat'em'ups like you suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
    I had the game preordered ever since it was announced, but ArcSys screwed up big time, first by constantly delaying its release (IIRC it was meant for January 2016, then almost disappeared from calendars), second by releasing multiple versions of this collection. The US got the River City Ransom remake plus a spin-off dodgeball game, then Japan got that with a few more extras, and finally this collection.
    I own the first Japanese release (it came out around October), and was thinking wheter or not getting this as well...in the end I decided not to, although I would have bought it for the sport spin-offs and not for the beat'em'ups like you suggested.
    I thought you might reply to this.

Exactly which Kunio-kun game do you have? There seems to be a bewildering number of games in the series, and no machine more so than the 3DS. I wish hardcoregaming101 would update their article about Kunio-kun.

What's on your game - is it a beat'em up?