Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
    One that you've all been asking for is finally here - BOTP Virtual On.
    Really needed to research this one better Yakumo, you clearly skipped over looking at the PS2 version due to the poor emulation. Should have dropped me a message I'll have let you borrow the footage we did for it.

Here's how it should have looked and this is the bonus PS2 content you didn't mention! It's the best home port by far.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
      The GFX and sound is amazing in this game and so atmospheric and really adds to the game. SNK had the best Artwork in the business
      One of the things I've loved about [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION]'s videos is the way he has covered many of the SNK Game Boy games, most of which I was unaware of.

Back when the NGPC came out, I got KoF-R2 (like, I imagine, most people who bought one) and right away I was taken by the gorgeous chunky spritework, with the chibi reworks of the traditional SNK designs and simplifed backdrops - but as I hadn't seen the earlier games, it was like this whole visual style had sprang up, fully formed, for KoF R-2,Samsho 2 and Fatal Fury First Contact.

It's been fascinating to see how that style was honed over a bunch of prior games.

Comment

Comment

[MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] - question. Why can't I fullscreen your videos when I play them on the forum? I have to go to YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            One of the things I've loved about [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION]'s videos is the way he has covered many of the SNK Game Boy games, most of which I was unaware of.

Back when the NGPC came out, I got KoF-R2 (like, I imagine, most people who bought one) and right away I was taken by the gorgeous chunky spritework, with the chibi reworks of the traditional SNK designs and simplifed backdrops - but as I hadn't seen the earlier games, it was like this whole visual style had sprang up, fully formed, for KoF R-2,Samsho 2 and Fatal Fury First Contact.

It's been fascinating to see how that style was honed over a bunch of prior games.
            I have one of the KoF games for the GB and not only does it look and play really well given the hardware, but it also looks fantastic when played with the SGB and even allows a second player via controller two.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] - question. Why can't I fullscreen your videos when I play them on the forum? I have to go to YouTube.
              I've no idea. Maybe there's some option hidden deep within you tubes setting. I'll have to look in to it

Comment

Nice vid man, Buck Rogers used to be everywhere back in the mid-80s, I never played it that much tho because I fell in love with Nemesis, 1942, Commando, Ikari, Galaxian, I lurved the simple 2D plane and rarely tinkered with into-the-screenies (even Space Harrier, it was IMPOSSIBLE, I pumped numerous 20ps into it but only ever saw the first few stages, Afterburner was even more unfair!)

Pity the original sound can't be emulated. I'm really impressed by the arcade graphics for a 1982 game, even some nice gradient colours in there. SEGA had mad technologies up their arsepipe back in t'day.

Comment

They call it Metal Slug under the waves. It's In The Hunt on this week's Battle Of The Ports.

Comment

Never heard of it, but I like the look of it so I ordered the PS version this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                      Never heard of it, but I like the look of it so I ordered the PS version this morning.
                      Wow, I thought everyone knew about this game. You'll really like it. In The Hunt is quite tough but it just oozes qulaity.

Comment

Hadn't heard of this either, TBH. But then admittedly I'd struggle to name any Irem games other than the R-Type series and their golf games. But that's part of why I enjoy retrogaming so much, discovering interesting stuff that I missed out on first time round...

Comment

Woah, that Buck Rogers brought back a really vivid memory of being in an arcade at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, fairly overcast day, wandering into an arcade and it was completely empty.
                          Buck Rogers was running, but I didn't play it.
                          I clearly remember thinking that GAME OVER was burnt into the screen from hours of flashing up.

The controller had a light-up thumb button on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
                            Hadn't heard of this either, TBH. But then admittedly I'd struggle to name any Irem games other than the R-Type series and their golf games. But that's part of why I enjoy retrogaming so much, discovering interesting stuff that I missed out on first time round...
                            Too right. I know a great deal of retro games but even now something will come along that's brand new to me or something that I honestly can't remember.

Comment

Sorry, at the mention of Buck Rogers, I should have mentioned Wilma Deering and the theme tune.
                              Allow me to fix that:

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                I should have mentioned

Twiki is also worth a mention.

Comment

Working...
                                X