No announcement yet.

Xbox - Series S/X: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is horrible, but I do like the number of colour variants we've seen from MS this gen.

Comment

News on the rumoured new Elite controller seems to have gone quiet.

Comment

Microsoft's streaming service with its next-gen console is coming into focus about how the hardware will work and what to expect from the experience.

Rumours about Xbox 4 are:

-A traditional console will be released alongside a second SKU option which will be entirely streaming based with both systems linking to a new game streaming service.
        -Both console versions will launch in 2020
        -The Xbox 4 Cloud Edition console will launch for approx $99-$125

Comment

DRM up the wazoo, then?

Comment

I think this might be about right. MS have the Azure cloud infrastructure already, its something Sony don't have. MS could then market Virtual console options within the cloud.

Comment

I wouldn't buy the streaming version, the tech's too limited, but I can see the value to trying to branch out but suspect it wouldn't get that much traction despite the lower price.

Comment

Sounds about right. A streaming version for £100 would certainly be interesting. PS Now works pretty well to be honest. It won't be great for anyone with sub-30mb internet or fighting game fans, but for your casual player of FIFA, Gears of War etc, it'll probably be completely serviceable.

Kind of like when Netflix came out and the quality sucked and it only worked on a computer browser. It won't be perfect, but it'll be good enough, cheaper than the alternatives, and on its way in terms of gaining customers, mindshare and, eventually, improved technology.

Since MS have said consoles plural are coming, it only makes sense that the second machine would be a streaming unit. The only other realistic alternative that I can think of is that they launch an Xbox 4 and an Xbox 4 X right out of the game, which would just make the normal Xbox 4 look massively gimped.

Comment

I think its a cool concept. See where the two Xbox hardware rumours came from. If the streaming box can add value above the Amazon TVs, Chromeboxes etc. of this world.
                  Last edited by Digfox; 24-07-2018, 12:52.

Comment

What does azure have that's necessary for this? Sony and nvidia seem to have managed it for several years without having the azure magic!

Comment

Well you see you can offload things to the cloud Brad. On the Xbox 4, they will take the generation defining Xbox One cloud tech even further. As well as doing all the heavy lifting on the graphics, it will also get up and put the kettle on for you during loading screens.

Lols aside, the other thing that makes me feel this rumour has the ring of truth is the fact that Gamepass exists. Its current form is clearly a beta for a streaming service imo.
                      Last edited by wakka; 24-07-2018, 12:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                        What does azure have that's necessary for this? Sony and nvidia seem to have managed it for several years without having the azure magic!
                        Essentially, Azure let's you spin up virtual servers with the specs of your choice. At work I could spin up a server with whatever Ram and CPU I need and then run applications from it using my work pc to 'remote desktop' the virtual machine.
                        As a console, you could have a box that does the remote desktop side of things, but all the computing grunt sits in a DC somewhere.
                        Nvidia Shield is a streaming device that simply pulls data from another location and throws it at your screen. Any computing power it needs is contained in the device.

All things concidered, I'd rather just buy a full fat console.

Comment

While I’d prefer to have the hardware under my TV I can see the appeal of a cheaper streamer with assistance box. I do wonder if the hardware in the One is able to serve as this streaming box. That’s an instant large user base for a new generation. And fits in with the idea of no more console generations.

I am curious about the economic case for a streaming service. How much will it save MS building Xbox datacentres versus building and shipping consoles?

Comment

I hope it is like the shield and Geforce Experience and where one can stream all the content anyone in the home or on the move, but where ones ha a super powerful GPU to handle the main workload for the best GFX in the home.

Opens up MS being able to make a streaming portable system too.

Comment

I've been trying to work out what the streaming system would do that an XBO wouldn't for a similar price by then. The tech still isn't anywhere near it needs to be for a streaming system to be a massive factor in MS's plans, hopefully having a cheap box doesn't mean they overegg the actual consoles price point and shoot themselves in the foot again.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                                While I’d prefer to have the hardware under my TV I can see the appeal of a cheaper streamer with assistance box. I do wonder if the hardware in the One is able to serve as this streaming box. That’s an instant large user base for a new generation. And fits in with the idea of no more console generations.

I am curious about the economic case for a streaming service. How much will it save MS building Xbox datacentres versus building and shipping consoles?
                                You have touched on something there... What if MS just said 'if you own a one X, you already own the next gen' and then gave access to the streaming service. There is no reason why not to be honest.

Comment

Working...
                                X