Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atari VCS: "I feel rather fine..." BONK.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is why I will never back anything like Kickstarter or indegogo. You can keep your snake oil and fund your nice suits on some other mugs cash, ta.
    Last edited by fishbowlhead; 29-06-2018, 07:30.

Comment

Crowdfunding is great for some things, but funding the development of a console for a corporation is not one of them.

Comment

You’ll see EA trying to fund raise the dev of fifa soon.

Comment

Personally, I love it when a crowdfunding project goes wrong. Only if I'm not a backer though!

I mainly back boardgames and there's been a few that have gone terribly wrong, most recently Evil Dead.
          The UK's no.1 magazine for the latest news, reviews features and interviews from the world of tabletop gaming. Written for board game enthusiasts, by board game enthusiasts. Subscribe and save today!

Anyone who still has money invested in that new Atari after absolutely no evidence of progress deserves to lose it.

Comment

So the board game guy has just pissed off with the money and no one can do anything about it????

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
              So the board game guy has just pissed off with the money and no one can do anything about it????
              Yeah, pretty much.

A couple of other faves includes the 3D printer guy who built a house with the funds:
              Kickstarter is investigating claims that money given to a tech project was instead used to build a home.

A well-known magician put out one recently for a three Dice cup set for the classic cups and balls, raised £20,000 for it from 200 magicians (it wasn't cheap), now one year late and he was spotted on holiday in the Caribbean drinking cocktails on his FB page.

Comment

Apparently its going to launch with shenmue 3 & the ff7 remake.

Comment

I think the thread title really needs changing at this point.

The nostalgic Atari VCS console has been delayed yet again, but at least this time you're getting more for your money. The creators have pushed back the system's launch to the end of 2019 in return for an upgrade to an as yet unannounced embedded AMD Ryzen chip, complete with Vega-based graphics. It'll offer more power for games, of course, but it'll also pull off feats you might not expect in a retro box, like native 4K video playback and support for protected streaming video services like Netflix.

No one was surprised that day. Although getting a Ryzen chip (not specific as to which one) is a good upgrade from the previous gen chips they were using. However, you'd be much better off just building your own Ryzen PC.

Comment

What surprised me is that the comments on Indiegogo about the delay are quite positive: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a...fore#/comments

Sure it might all be fine, but like you say how many times do we see it all go pear shaped?

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                      I think the thread title really needs changing at this point.
                      Done.

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                      However, you'd be much better off just building your own Ryzen PC.
                      Reminds me of the Kickstarter for a NUC with DOSbox pre-configured to play games, which had in its FAQ "Can't I just buy a Raspberry Pi and configure DOSbox for all games?" and the answer was "No."
                      Last edited by briareos_kerensky; 19-03-2019, 09:30.

Comment

Got to say i am really really not sure why a upgrade was needed, sure its good to have but what was there was more then enough then what was needed and hearing rumors of Ataris finances i am thinking it will not come out

Comment

Still on track for release apparently: the VCS will use AMD's new R1000 SoC, a rather powerful 2 core (4 with HT) at around 3 Ghz with Vega 3 integrated graphics at around 1 Ghz (clocks depend on SoC version). The announcement didn't come from Atari but from AMD.

Comment

Not dead yet, actually fine.

Today Atari announceda new partnership with Antstream Arcade. As the name implies, it's an online service that gives access to "more than 500 games and apps", according to Antstream themselves.

However the VCS will only have access to 50 of such games and apps, with more to come in the following months.
                            The service will be free for 3 months, after that it's $10/month. The price is in line with platforms Antstream Arcade is already available on, only with 10 times more stuff available.

Comment

Hilarious that indiegogo shut down their uk arm, to avoid getting sued over the spectrum vega + saga. Crowdfunding is for total mugs!

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                                What surprised me is that the comments on Indiegogo about the delay are quite positive: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a...fore#/comments
                                Comments limited to backers who've parted with their money, desperately hoping it'll be great and that they're not going to be ripped off, yet when they sleep, those secret doubts creep in like a serial cat burglar.

The direction they've decided to go with this means it's little more than an overpriced streaming box at this point.

Edit: Pricing starts at $249.99 for the Atari VCS 400 (4GB) Onyx Base model and goes up to $389.99 for one of three Atari VCS 800 (8GB) “All-In” system bundles that include the Atari VCS Classic Joystick (available separately for $49.99) and Atari VCS Modern Controller ($59.99),

Make that massively overpriced.
                                Last edited by MartyG; 02-10-2019, 07:42.

Comment

Working...
                                X