Post any time you get ANYTHING retro 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post

Store also had the vanilla MGS3 Snake Eater for 50p as well. Really can't go wrong, I left it for someone else as I have it.

Comment

After finding this blog post (http://www.carlansell.co.uk/blog/sav...-fram-upgrade/) I decided to order a few of the chips mentioned to make my own carts hold a save until I die.

Installed this morning with success, no issues at all. Paid £13.17 for two Ramtron FM28V020 from China. Second one is going to be installed in my Gold cart and I might even order some more for my Blue and Yellow carts.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        After finding this blog post (http://www.carlansell.co.uk/blog/sav...-fram-upgrade/) I decided to order a few of the chips mentioned to make my own carts hold a save until I die.

Installed this morning with success, no issues at all. Paid £13.17 for two Ramtron FM28V020 from China. Second one is going to be installed in my Gold cart and I might even order some more for my Blue and Yellow carts.
        I am jealous of your soldering skills! So clean!

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post
          I am jealous of your soldering skills! So clean!
          Years of practise (literally). I don't currently own a hot air rework station so in this case I had to ruin the old chip, this wasn't an issue though. Simply re-flowed the 20 year old solder, then began lifting the legs of each pin using the one beside it for leverage with a sewing pin. Left the four corner legs intact to provide stability for the chip. Once all the other legs were lifted I released the four corner legs and used some desolder braid to clean the existing solder from the contacts, then I simply positioned the new chip by positioning it with two corners first and then added solder to the rest of the legs.
          Last edited by speedlolita; 03-06-2018, 18:15.

Comment

And Gold done too. Think you would need the CR2025/CR2032 intact if you wanted RTC stuff to still function, doesn't currently. Gives you a prompt each time you power on to set it again, but given it doesn't remember you can just click through that. Still, the save remains intact and that's what matters.

Comment

Today I bought a NEO GEO AES.

It's a third of the way into June. That means that game shop owners up and down Japan rub their hands in glee, as the population gets their hands on summer bonuses. Suddenly single men, and married man who keep their salary out of their wive's grubby mitts, have hundreds of thousands of yen. In my case, it's just under 900k.

First stop is an X-box One X. Only one shop near me - the Bic Camera chain - is selling these. I got one in my lunch hour.

Next is an AES. I read about these in ACE magazine, and was disbelieving that games were over eighty pounds each. If only they still were. I've seen them in shops here, and read about them on this forum, but never bought one. Why bother? The games I'm interested in have, for the most part, been ported much more cheaply to more recent consoles.

But there's a great feeling to plugging in and playing a machine for the first time, especially a famous retro one. I know the local second-hand shop has three AES consoles - I saw them earlier this week while killing time. So I took an hour of annual leave, hoping to smuggle it home before my wife gets home.

They've still got three. I pick the most expensive of the three (about 1500 yen difference). While I'm getting my change, the cashier tells me, somewhat ominously, that if there are any problems I have a week to return it. I send up a silent prayer that there won't be - returning it without being seen is going to be impossible.

Finally, my wife has gone to bed. I only have one AES game - Thrash Rally, bought a few weeks ago. The AES itself, and it's controller, are astonishingly light. Both it, and the untested Thrash Rally, work perfectly. I'm rubbish at Thrash Rally. In fact, I'm crap at all racing games which don't show the driving line, but I enjoy them.

So, that's the AES? I'm not sure what I'll buy next for it. I fancy the Super Spy, but that might be coming to Switch. Oh well. Perhaps I'll just get the cheapest karts in the shop.

Thanks for indulging this rather drunk blog-like post. But as I said, there is, for me at least, a great satisfaction in trying out a console that I've never played on before. Maybe I'll try to source a Jaguar or a 3DO. Or even a Marty.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                Today I bought a NEO GEO AES.

It's a third of the way into June. That means that game shop owners up and down Japan rub their hands in glee, as the population gets their hands on summer bonuses..
                yeah, right. I got **** all as always. And I'm a "salary man" with a full time job. No ****ty yearly contract but still no whopping bonus

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                  but still no whopping bonus
                  I'll make sure we change that with the next Rapid Hero that pops up on yahoo

Comment

I particularly liked the smuggling it home bit of that post. Rings very true.

Comment

Originally posted by mmmonkey View Post
                      I particularly liked the smuggling it home bit of that post. Rings very true.
                      Same

Comment

Hotdog Storm

I was sold on the name alone

Comment

I was almost afraid to click the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                            I was almost afraid to click the link.
                            Not surprised even [MENTION=368]Mayhem[/MENTION] thinks I'm the resident borders blower now

Comment

Sometimes it's a good thing that I don't know everything that's going on with this forums conversations.

Comment

What?! there's no hotdogs in that game. You must be gutted.

Comment

Working...
                                X