• Time
  • Show
Clear All

This looks terrible.

Comment

This might be okay!

I'm going to take a punt!

Comment

Saw a few good reviews and they seem to suggest it's actually good. Going to go see it, following-on from my earlier optimism.

I think it might be another Pacific Rim.

Comment

I’m going to give this a punt. I like the original but don’t expect it to match that.

If if is Pacific Rim level of bad oh dear.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
            I’m going to give this a punt. I like the original but don’t expect it to match that.

If if is Pacific Rim level of bad oh dear.
            Leave Pacific Rim alone. Now if you're talking about Pacific Rim Uprising, fair enough.

Comment

I have fairly low expectations of Alita but I feel quietly confident it'll be a better film than Pacific Rim

Or Uprising

Comment

Early box office tracking for Alita: Battle Angel indicates the James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez sci-fi epic is headed towards a disappointing opening.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/al...ox-1202041681/

The films tracking for its box office suggests the film is at risk of being 2019's first big box office bomb, potentially losing Fox upwards of $200m

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  Saw a few good reviews and they seem to suggest it's actually good. Going to go see it, following-on from my earlier optimism.

I think it might be another Pacific Rim.
                  One of the best films ever made? Wow, I better go see it!

Comment

Alita's eyes reminds me of the same eyes as Steve Buscemi's character on The Simpsons.

Comment

To me, Jet Force Gemini. I can concur the eyes look jarring. But I hope the movie's fun.

Comment

It's the eyes that put me off the movie. They look bloody stupid if I'm to be honest. They work in the 25 year old anime but they don't work here at all.

Comment

Went to see this tonight, and in honesty? I actually really liked it.

It wasn't perfect (booooy was it imperfect!). It had a lot of problems. I think, chief among them, was that the performances from some of the characters felt a bit flat, so emotional moments involving them felt really forced (not quite Anakin-and-Padme, chew-your-own-hand-off forced but still not great).

However, that aside, the action scenes were wonderful. Really fast, well-scripted, and free of any Bayformers shakey-cam nonsense. Despite the heavy use of CGI, I think the sense of heft and weight in the fights was very good.

The main thing, however, was the visual design. I loved it. The world, the objects, the vehicles, the little bits of technology - all the way through to stuff like how Alita's original body has the look of a porcelain doll, adorned with scrollwork. It was just visually gorgeous.

Comment

Well I personally thought the look and the action and the animation was fantastic and I found it thoroughly entertaining.

Glad I saw it at the cinema and I would watch it again.

Comment

I'm glad this has garnered some positive reviews. If we went solely by the press most would have thought the film was a waste of time. I agree with Asura that the film has some negatives in the dialogue and characterisation but from a technical POV the film is fantastic. The action was great as well and as has already been mentioned, allows the audience to see what's taking place (funny how that helps a film ey?)

Comment

Cameron Confirms More "Alita" Coming - Dark Horizons
                                Apparently multiple Alita sequels are coming... either Cameron is leveraging directing Avatar 4 and 5 for them or these will be filed under Terminator: Dark Fate 2 and 3

Comment

Working...
                                X