TV|Shark 003: Oz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV|Shark 003: Oz

First time out we change genre in the third thread who's choice of show is purely coincidental despite one of its stars recently passing away. This time we're taking a look at HBO's hard hitting prison drama:

Oz
    Ran: 6 Seasons (1997 till 2003 primarily)
    Episodes: 56 Episodes
    Named after the nickname of the penitentiary the shows action took place within, Oz was the first hour long drama show HBO launched and it set a trend the network since followed for premiering hard hitting drama. Taking place in the 'Emerald City', an experimental unit of the Level 4 prison, the show followed prisoners going through a rehab programme that was being trialled in the facility. Over the course of its six year run the show never failed in its ability to shock viewers with its graphic depictions of the inmates lives and struggles to either assert power over others or simply survive their time there. Some critics felt at odds with how unrelentingly brutal and hopeless the events and characters in the show were but its fans would argue that there lay much of its appeal and success.

Share your thoughts on Oz!

Oz was incredible. Like HBO setting its stall out good and proper. I first saw it while stopping over at my girlfriend's (romantic, huh) and a late night surf of the channels happened upon an episode on channel 4. I had no idea what it was but I was just glued.

<very minor spoilers>

I think it was an ep from season 2 because Adebisi was large and in charge, and the danger in the air was intense. I promised myself I'd watch it from the start and then it seemed to disappear from terrestrial, so I forgot about it for a little while. Then a guy at work asked me if I'd seen it and loaned me the R1 import DVDs to binge on. And binge I did.

Brilliant show. The writing and the characters (Chris Keller, wow) are like nothing else. The show has its own way of doing things and that's what sets it apart.
    Last edited by Atticus; 13-02-2018, 08:48.

Comment

I never saw the show properly, I couldn't even say what part of it I saw. It was a show I stumbled across when it was on late at night on Channel 4 and watched a run until (I think) that season ended but it's always stuck in my mind whenever I've watched other prison set shows. Though part of it was due to my age at the time, it did feel quite unlike other shows in how it didn't shy away from its violence and themes.

Comment

Not that loved a show it seems!

Really obvious clue for the fourth thread next week : Oh boy...

Comment

That's obviously Quantum Leap.

I adored Oz. The reason I haven't posted yet is that I have so much to say on it that I haven't had the time to write my essays on the subject!

Short version is this:

Show was amazing.
          It has about a normal season's worth of progression in every single episode.
          No character was safe.
          It was seriously hard going at times due to being so grim.
          Some really stupid storylines in the latter half of the show (ageing drug...).
          Even when the storylines were stupid, the characters were always amazing and every new character brought something special.
          One of the best TV shows but hard to rewatch due to grim thing.

Comment

Working...
          X