The ReDefinitive Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ReDefinitive Edition

@Deuteros linked to this old gold mine of a thread from that's a great read through and it seemed like a good idea to revisit given how long it's been since it was running.

Friendly Import video game discussion forum, informative reviews, NTSC (Japan / US) and PAL - BordersDown (previously known as NTSC-uk)

The thread was born in the early NTSC-UK days and was a place for people to discuss what they thought to be definitive versions of games in cross of Digital Foundry, personal opinion and Yakumo's Battle of the Ports. It was heavily focused on comparisons between PAL and NTSC editions which are much less of a concern when it comes to modern releases. Bearing in mind the old thread ceased activity thirteen years ago, even the games that were listed in the above thread have sometimes seen updates and rereleases to factor in today's evaluations.

The rules remain the same as Brats for the most part:

1 - Consider Everything: From framerate, resolution and content to box art. Why is your choice the best one?

2 - Objectivity: The evaluation should be about the quality of the product, not its resale value or how 'at home' a franchise feels on a platform (eyeballs you Ridge Racer fans)

3 - Editions: If a limited edition is so good it elevates a same version above the standard release, be specific in detailing what that LE version is and why

4 - Explain: Give clear reasons as to why that specific version is the best rather than blanket reasoning such as a regional version always being best by default of where it's from

5 - Japanese Games: It should be factored in that recommendations should assume newcomers have limited understanding of the language

6 - Ties: Don't be afraid to call a draw if it's too close

7 - Portability: It's fine to discuss portability but it cannot be a reason for a version being the best. Portability is a perk of the host hardware, not a comment on the quality of the software itself

8 - Peripherals: Factor in the need for peripherals and impact that has on both the experience and cost of the software

9 - The PC Problem: These days most games appear on PC and introduce a sticky issue as the host hardware is often powerful enough to create the best version, especially as time goes on and users can force higher framerates or patch issues consoles can't. If you're discussing a modern cross platform release consider the PC more from a port point of view. For older games, the format should largely be discounted due to the modern day bias it introduces.

10 - Disagree: Challenge any recommendations you disagree with, tell us why your version is truly the version to play for newcomers.

Let's Redefine the Definitive Edition!
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 16-02-2018, 09:13.

That was a great thread. Oh for the simpler times of yore when nerds were nerds and places such as these were a thrum with palpable nerdosity.

Comment

Here's an opening gambit

Grand Theft Auto III Series

Titles: Grand Theft Auto III, Vice City, San Andreas, Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories
      I've grouped all these games together as I don't feel there's too much of a difference between them in terms of how they came across on their host platforms at the time. The biggest difference probably lies with the Stories entries due to the controls and portability of the PSP but despite how accomplished the games were on the system I found playing them on TV with a proper controller improved the experiences quite a lot in terms of gameplay over convenience and brought those titles more in line with the main three releases. These

These were all games I bought repeatedly and the Xbox versions appealed due to the small enhancements Rockstar made to the amount of detail in the visuals etc however I remember performance not being too much different and regardless of whether playing via the Duke or S controller, GTA's gameplay felt much more intuitive and at home on the Dual Shock 2 so once the initial intrigue in the Xbox versions passed I gravitated back quite quickly. I didn't have a PC at the time so can't really compare the games as they'd have been at launch but historical controller support is very spotty with PC releases and my modern day messing around has never suggested to me the series suited KB&M. The feel of the controls is very important to this generation of GTA's due to the limitations the player movement has and PS2 always felt by far the best at this even though from a technical standpoint they may have been a little behind the other ports. The less said about the technically accomplished but horrid to play mobile versions the better.

Winner - Playstation 2

Comment

Hmm, I don't know about that... I remember reading about the small but many improvements the Xbox version had over the PS2 version (e.g., Gamespot's review). The NTSC version of the GTA Double Pack for the Xbox even supported both widescreen and 480p.

Comment

* Nerding like it's 2003... *

Comment

Working...
          X