Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Mario 64 - the definitive version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Mario 64 - the definitive version?

after the disappointment of not being able to play Super Mario Odyssey I've decided to go back to Super Mario 64.

question is, which is the best version? Or is it best to wait for an N64 mini for HD?

Why can't you play Odyssey, part of your bail conditions?

Comment

N64 with the controller, can't click with the DS version.

Comment

Originally posted by Pavey View Post
        Why can't you play Odyssey, part of your bail conditions?
        that, and evil motion sickness

Comment

Shindou Edition

Comment

DS version was wack. So surprised they didn't retool it for the 3ds though. Such an opportunity to pimp it out with a refresh

Comment

The N64 original, either the Shindou version (Japanese only) or the US version - that being said, the PAL version is perfectly fine, I played it for years.

The WiiU virtual console version is also good. I would just say to avoid the DS one. It has some good things (the collection of DS minigames and the multiplayer modes are really fun) but overall it's worse.

Comment

I thought the DS version was excellent... except for the most crucial thing: the control. It’s a real shame that didn’t have analogue control. Using the touchscreen really didn’t work.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  The N64 original, either the Shindou version (Japanese only) or the US version - that being said, the PAL version is perfectly fine, I played it for years.

The WiiU virtual console version is also good. I would just say to avoid the DS one. It has some good things (the collection of DS minigames and the multiplayer modes are really fun) but overall it's worse.
                  what differences are there in the US and PAL versions?

Comment

Originally posted by superturd123 View Post
                    what differences are there in the US and PAL versions?
                    Just that the US/Japanese version will be NTSC and probably run faster and fullscreen, whereas the PAL version might be slower and with borders. I don't actually know as I've never seen them side-by-side.

Again, I played the UK one for hundreds of hours back in the day and loved it, so it certainly isn't a cripplingly poor PAL conversion - just you asked for the "definitive" version.

Comment

The shindou version is actually just the western release with a few bug fixes, the voices from the western version were not in the original Japanese release, they were added for the west. They then decided to release this updated western version along with a new added rumble feature and a few other tweaks back in Japan.

For me i prefer the DS version for the actual content as i played the living hell out of the N64 original so the new added levels and boss were a welcome addition along with the extra characters to play. But i agree the controls are not great, there is a solution though as you can play the DS version on the 3DS and use the stick to control mario, it's still not perfect but it's a improvement.

The ultimate version would be the Shindou one with the DS content hacked into it.
                      Last edited by importaku; 10-02-2018, 22:17.

Comment

Sorry guys but to me, "Mario 64 with compromised controls" is a bad game. Mario 64's controls and movement was its best quality. Just moving around in that game is fun. Not so, with the DS version; it feels like a chore.

Comment

Agree with [MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION] there. [MENTION=39]importaku[/MENTION] wouldn't playing it on the 3DS mean digital controls via an analog pad? That would be even worse than it already was on dpad methinks

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                            Agree with [MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION] there. [MENTION=39]importaku[/MENTION] wouldn't playing it on the 3DS mean digital controls via an analog pad? That would be even worse than it already was on dpad methinks
                            Yeah it's not proper analog but it actually works pretty well i found it less tiring to play with the 3DS stick than the dpad.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                              Yeah it's not proper analog but it actually works pretty well i found it less tiring to play with the 3DS stick than the dpad.
                              Hmm. I might have to give that a try then as I was really looking forward to a definitive 3ds remaster of this title as analog was it's main point when launched.

Comment

Working...
                              X