Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Mario 64 - the definitive version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will admit - contrary to what I said above, I do agree that M64 on 3DS does feel a bit better than playing it on the DS pad. It's still digital mapped to the stick but it feels better, as the stick is much more comfortable to use.

The N64 original is still the definitive version in my eyes though, with the WiiU VC version a close second.

Comment

Can you imagine how great it would've been remastered for the n3DS with some 3D antics, butter smoothness and some enhancements as well as analog input? Given how much love Zelda got I was so surprised this never happened as it would've been an excellent release with the proper input on a platform with more grunt. Also the smaller screens mean it would've looked better than say Switch I feel and became the definitive version for those of us that don't own an N64 any more but nope, Nintendo looked at it and said "So long, gay Bowser!" and threw it off the edge.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
        Can you imagine how great it would've been remastered for the n3DS with some 3D antics, butter smoothness and some enhancements as well as analog input?
        I would've bought it.

That being said, I think Nintendo have a strange way of looking at this. I think they're concerned with competing with themselves sometimes. They must be aware that on a machine which has Mario 3D Land and a New Super Mario Bros, they have to be reasonably careful with releases. In truth I was surprised that they released a remake of Twilight Princess on the WiiU with the timing.

This is a bit similar to how Microsoft, for a long time, didn't allow "free" things on Live apart from demos (which is why the Xbox held out quite a long time for the BBC iPlayer); MS had the perception that adding free entertainment on live de-valued all of the paid content, and they didn't want the service to end up like iOS.

This "race to the bottom" was a huge problem for media between around 2010-2016, and a bit beyond. Personally I feel that we've passed the nadir of that now, though; the average consumer with their typical devices in a western developed nation has so much "free" content available to them that it has just become background noise, and people are starting to charge a bit more again to try and suggest a level of quality.

It's subtly different to Nintendo's situation, but similar. For instance, Nintendo could easily create a kind of Netflix-style service where you can subscribe and play all-you-can-eat NES, SNES, GB/C/A and N64 games for a monthly fee, but that could be disastrous for them in the long run, because it might actually kill interest in their newer titles.

Comment

Very valid point indeed and I agree about the whole competing with themselves thing which is to be expected given they are the Michael Jackson of gaming but I'd have happily given up that wack ass nsmb (heck the whole franchise could get it) for the above SE Mario Sixty Fizzle

From the jump that art style on nsmb really did grind on me as it seemed so soulless and the fact they just kept recycling it again and again is crazy. What's even worse is so many people never played Galaxy and it's awesomeness but happily sipped that swill with a smile. Nowt as mad as folks

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            For instance, Nintendo could easily create a kind of Netflix-style service where you can subscribe and play all-you-can-eat NES, SNES, GB/C/A and N64 games for a monthly fee, but that could be disastrous for them in the long run, because it might actually kill interest in their newer titles.
            That's why a HD release of the Prime Trilogy would be a very ballsy move.

Comment

This reminded me of the thread that made me register on NTSC-uk:

The Definitive Version

It sure was a bit of a minefield for the discerning gamer, back then!

Comment

Working...
              X