User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I was working in Norway for a year when this was on and I came home to find a mate had taped an entire season for me on VHS. It's one of the kindest things anyone has ever done for me.

I'm always curious how telly shows are plotted.
    Movies are, primarily, made and if they're a success a vaguely related sequel is written.

With TV, I wonder if they plan to make multiple series.

Something like Lost felt like it was a bigger success than they expected and asked the writers to stretch out a 5 series show to 10 years.

With Stranger Things, the writers have said it's a finite story, which instantly gets my attention.
    I'd watch a soap if I wanted unending storylines!

I wonder what the Babylon 5 plan was?

I love Babylon 5! It's the pinnacle of series sci-fi, with Next Gen following a respectful second. Firefly could/should have been a contender, but alas it wasn't to be.

Londo was the ****ing daddy.

From what I've heard the arc for Babylon 5 was originally not much different than where they ended up, the main deviation was bringing forward the end of two or three key arcs into the fourth season instead of the fifth.

Londo though, best character but a bummer of a send off

Quote Originally Posted by QualityChimp View Post
    I'm always curious how telly shows are plotted.
    Movies are, primarily, made and if they're a success a vaguely related sequel is written.

With TV, I wonder if they plan to make multiple series.
    It varies massively from show to show. I know from experience that the norm would be that the creator/writers have all sorts of dreams for what they would do in series 27 but the reality is that they are writing short term and know very little beyond what they are currently dealing with. From what I have read, Babylon 5 was plotted in far greater detail by Straczynski and so, as SF says, the show followed many arcs that were planned and put in place right from the start. And it worked.

Yep, B5 essentially used the model Lost should have adopted of having preplanned arcs with backdoors built in to work around things like actors leaving meaning it always knew where it was going and just needed tweaking rather than inventing as it went. Though it probably helped that Straczynski wrote the sheer volume of it that he did single handedly.

Clue for the third thread: Don't do the crime

Quote Originally Posted by Superman Falls View Post
    Yep, B5 essentially used the model Lost should have adopted of having preplanned arcs with backdoors built in to work around things like actors leaving meaning it always knew where it was going and just needed tweaking rather than inventing as it went. Though it probably helped that Straczynski wrote the sheer volume of it that he did single handedly.
    Yeah, Lost was a rerun of "The Chris Carter" method, used on The X Files. Put enough stuff in for people to think it's going somewhere, but just enough.