No announcement yet.

Team Sonic Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've liked the previous games a bit, but I've always thought it a shame that in a Karting game, Sonic doesn't just run - like a new, better version of what they tried in Sonic R. I get the design logic of it, that it helps make the game consistent, but it was always seemed like a stumbling block.

Ironically the new teaser only shows cars, so it's like they've chosen to focus on this specific thing.

Comment

UPDATE: And it's official. Team Sonic Racing is coming to Nintendo Switch, PC, PS4 and Xbox One this winter, with Sumo …

It's real and called Team Sonic Racing. 15 racers in the game and sadly its purely fairly bland Sonic characters and cars this time out. Hopefully the game itself is solid.

Comment

While I'm going to guess the game itself will turn out well, it will only have a fraction of the appeal for me without the wider Sega material.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...m-sonic-racing

It's real and called Team Sonic Racing. 15 racers in the game and sadly its purely fairly bland Sonic characters and cars this time out. Hopefully the game itself is solid.
          Why, if they're just the Sonic characters, are they in cars?

I thought the reason they were in cars in the prior ones was to make the game easier to balance, as it was easier to make cars etc. of similar size for all the different brands...

But the Sonic characters can just run; we've had plenty of games like that.

Still, if it's competent, it's worth the release for them on Xbone and PS4 at least, because those consoles don't have a decent answer to MK8.

Comment

without the rest of sega's IP, it's a solid no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
              without the rest of sega's IP, it's a solid no thanks.
              I would honestly be fine with a Sonic-only racer, but it just bugs me they're still in cars.

I imagine the staff at Sumo are sick of hearing that.

Comment

So no more 'All-Stars' and no more 'Transformed'. Just Sonic and pallette-swap chums in karts. Given that Sumo absolutely nailed it last time, this feels disappointing to me.

Comment

I agree that it's a shame it doesn't celebrate the wider Sega universe. I can only hope it turns out to be a really fun racer. The previous Sonic racing games from Sumo are very good, so I hope this will look and play even better.

Comment

Yep, and I think that's ultimately where I'll land. I want the wider Sega stuff and I'm really not into modern Sonic characters at all but, with Sumo making this, the chances of it being a strong and fun racer are very high.

Comment

It's at least now confirmed for all systems so has a chance. Really curious as to why they took the step back and limited themselves to just the rather weak Sonic universe characters

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                        ... limited themselves to just the rather weak Sonic universe characters
                        No offence, but I disagree. The Sonic cast are very recognisable and even small children today love them due to things like Sonic Boom.

I too am disappointed we won't keep Beat, or Ryo, or Gilius Thunderhead, but I think they're only really a selling point to people like us. I actually think a Sonic-only game is more commercial.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          I think they're only really a selling point to people like us
                          We are people like us.

I’m not totally convinced by your point beyond us either because the wider cast still had Sonic characters. I don’t think they’ll get a huge amount more interest by featuring lower tier characters such as Lick the Chick or Rennie The Boar at the expense of other Sega characters. Adding some more popular Sonic characters, I could understand. Stripping it back to feature feature fewer characters to gain Poopin the Albatross seems odd.

But even if it turns out you’re right, I’d come back to the point that we are people like us and so it’s just fine to declare these characters weak from our point of view.

Comment

Both previous games were excellent so I'm at least still interested to see how this turns out.

Comment

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Robotnik, Shadow and Big the Cat are the only decent characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                But even if it turns out you’re right, I’d come back to the point that we are people like us and so it’s just fine to declare these characters weak from our point of view.
                                True, it depends on your perspective.

Comment

Working...
                                X