No announcement yet.

BPX024: Time to Say Goodbye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When was the last time a Microsoft game shook the industry (in a good way)? Halo?

For many reasons I want Sea of Thieves to be excellent.

Comment

Sea of Thieves look awesome, albeit maybe not a lot for a solo PVE'er like myself.

I do hope that they will genuinely support it and not pretend to whilst working on another game or it's sequel (which so many of these developers and publishers seem to do now). Updating the cash shop is NOT support! But that's a moan for another thread...
      Last edited by Digfox; 15-02-2018, 16:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Mgear View Post
        In Japan it is, as proven earlier.
        It didn't break the sale recorded in Japan, did it and one can't say that its the bests selling console little more than a year in and also we can all use 'at this point in its life time' stuff, Wasn't the XBox One selling better than the 360 less than a year in and 'at this point its in life time' compared to the 360 inthe USA. The PSP have the best ever launch in Europe (or maybe just the UK) , even outsell the 3DS for the earlier months in Japan and looked what happened.

I for the life of me can't see the Switch outselling the PS2 or the DS myself, but we'll see.

I'm not sure how this is really relevant, given we are discussing first and second party exclusive output
        If you talk of awards and sales then GTV is up there with the best of them, but many don't like the game (thats sort of what I mean about quailty being supjective not matter sales or awards) But yeah I much rather get back to talking of In-House games.

Really did Nintendo make many more In-House games on the Cube to the MS on the OG XBox, did Nintendo make than many more In-House games on the Wi U to MS on the 360, you can even bring Wii In-House games, if one must. When it comes to In-House games, Nintendo aren't really better than MS in terms of numbers, quailty is a different matter....

Going forward... whats going to come from Nintendo In-House Teams over the next year, I doubt it be many more than the number that comes from MS, while one SONY take the mick and show both Nintendo and MS up for In-House output in terms of numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          It didn't break the sale recorded in Japan, did it and one can't say that its the bests selling console little more than a year in and also we can all use 'at this point in its life time' stuff, Wasn't the XBox One selling better than the 360 less than a year in and 'at this point its in life time' compared to the 360 inthe USA. The PSP have the best ever launch in Europe (or maybe just the UK) , even outsell the 3DS for the earlier months in Japan and looked what happened.

I for the life of me can't see the Switch outselling the PS2 or the DS myself, but we'll see.
          It has broken records and not every console manufacturer gets to say that even if they are successful for a bit (i.e. the Xbox One outselling the 360 for the first year). You are right that machines can get off to a good start and tail off in sales or manufacturers can cut their statistics like politicians. But the Switch WILL be the fastest selling console after one year on sale in Japan. And IS the fastest selling console ever. That's historic sales figure no matter how you cut it. Now whether that continues or if it even gets close to historic levels of the PS2, DS remains to be seen.

I think crucially the bigger picture is that we are talking about the Switch in the same sentence as previous record breakers such the Wii, the PS2 etc. We are not talking about it's sales in terms of the Wii U or 3DO. It is breaking records and so far been a phenomenal success.

If you talk of awards and sales then GTV is up there with the best of them, but many don't like the game (thats sort of what I mean about quailty being supjective not matter sales or awards) But yeah I much rather get back to talking of In-House games.

Really did Nintendo make many more In-House games on the Cube to the MS on the OG XBox, did Nintendo make than many more In-House games on the Wi U to MS on the 360, you can even bring Wii In-House games, if one must. When it comes to In-House games, Nintendo aren't really better than MS in terms of numbers, quailty is a different matter....

Going forward... whats going to come from Nintendo In-House Teams over the next year, I doubt it be many more than the number that comes from MS, while one SONY take the mick and show both Nintendo and MS up for In-House output in terms of numbers
          Nintendo put out loads more games in 2017 than Microsoft did. Their output rivals Sony easily. I'd sit here and compile the lists for you, but even a quick Google search confirms this.

Why are you ignoring the facts? No one else is talking about previous generations.

Comment

Sorry for trying to having a debate..

Comment

At least no-one mentioned Ridge Racer, things really kick off then...

Comment

Sorry for trying to having a debate..
                On these points though I don't necessarily understand this debate. These things are relatively quantifiable or measurable. We can see exact numbers of how many Switch units are selling, or how many games the platform holders each released last year.

Hence my last line. I am not meaning to cut someone off or close a debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Mgear View Post
                  On these points though I don't necessarily understand this debate..
                  Not knocking Nintendo or their quality of games. I'm just saying when it comes to the number of In-House games made for both thier systems, there isn't much between MS or Nintendo. Its been a issue from MS from the very start and imo an issue for Nintendo, since the N64 days, thats all. I'm Not slating either corp or trying to make SONY look amazing, but he simple fact is SONY been out on their own for In-House games produced for their console since the PS2 days, only SEGA came close in the Dreamcast days.

Also I really don't like using sales as a bar of quality of the product or the worth of a system; Taking sales alone, one would have to credit EA as being one of the best developers going at the moment (when most love to slag them off) and the Wii a better console than the Snes, 360 and many more , I'm not one for sales battles myself

I get the Switch is doing well (to me its the new Nintendo hanheld and there always sell well) , but I just don't see it selling in PS2 or DS numbers though
                  Last edited by Team Andromeda; 20-02-2018, 11:54.

Comment

Not knocking Nintendo or their quality of games. I'm just saying when it comes to the number of In-House games made for both thier systems, there isn't much between MS or Nintendo. Its been a issue from MS from the very start and imo an issue for Nintendo, since the N64 days, thats all. I'm Not slating either corp or trying to make SONY look amazing, but he simple fact is SONY been out on their own for In-House games produced for their console since the PS2 days, only SEGA came close in the Dreamcast days.
                    Historically Nintendo have clearly been through quiet patches. But when specifically talking about the last 12-months, they have published a high number of games. Obviously some of that will be early support for their new hardware but along with second-party and 3DS they have had a very strong year. Obviously we'll have to see how 2018 and 2019 pan out, but in theory they should benefit from only having to focus on one platform. Something they haven't been able to do for a long, long time.

Also I really don't like using sales as a bar of quality of the product or the worth of a system; Taking sales alone, one would have to credit EA as being one of the best developers going at the moment (when most love to slag them off) and the Wii a better console than the Snes, 360 and many more , I'm not one for sales battles myself

I get the Switch is doing well (to me its the new Nintendo hanheld and there always sell well) , but I just don't see it selling in PS2 or DS numbers though
                    Indeed, high sales can 'be' an indicator or quality but obviously there can be other factors involved. That said we can't argue against the numbers. My own guess is that we will see improved hardware in a Switch 2 or something (whilst retaining backward compatibility) given the very fast moving nature of mobile technology that Switch uses. And therefore probably see newer hardware sooner than either the PS2 or DS did. Which will complicate sales comparisons.

Comment

Bringing this one back up to the surface I'm starting to reach that point in the generation where I approach the question from the opposite angle, the angle that tells my spider-sense that new hardware is on the horizon. Rather than when will gaming companies be saying hello to a new generation...

When should we say goodbye to the existing one as individual gamers?

With Xbox being redundant to me as a PC owner (I already own an Xbox 4 woo!) and Switch existing in its own sphere it means that all of this thinking rests on the Playstation 4. The system is a great console and I'm down to 6 games on my HDD to revisit. Looking ahead there's Day's Gone and then... well, nothing. This is compounded by Sony skipping E3 this year as they feel they don't have enough to show. Now, the smart money is on The Last of Us Part II releasing late this year which largely leaves Death Stranding and Ghosts of Tsushima as the only major exclusives left to land and both look every increasingly likely to slip to PS5 or cross-gen at best.

For some, trading in the current system early is a wise move to retain value against the eventual new machines. For others the time to let go will be in the final moments of the systems complete life. Meanwhile some will never let the system go and then there's those who have barely or haven't at all yet dived in to the current gen. I'm trying to work out the best time to let PS4 go and I feel like June will be the critical make or break for the system especially if TLOUPt2 is the sole flag bearer and is likely to be on PS5 in some form.

What about for you though? When do or if do you feel you'll say goodbye to the Xbox One and Playstation 4 as we march further and further towards Year 7 for both systems

Comment

As always, to buy a machine, I need about a dozen titles I want to play, in a spread of genres. That'll be when I pull the trigger. That being said, the PS4 never really got there in my eyes, save for PSVR.

Comment

I could see myself potentially jumping in early at the start of this gen. I'm planning to upgrade to a 4K HDR OLED in the relatively near future, perhaps around the end of this year/start of the next.

Once I've got that, I'll be keen to make good use of it. For gaming, that will realistically mean new machines. So unlike last time around, where I cancelled my PS4 preorder due to being underwhelmed by the reliance on cross-gen titles, this time I might be happy to have them if it means I'll be making better use of my new TV than my existing machines would.

Comment

For a large part, I have skipped this gen only owning a Switch. It is the first generation in possibly decades that I haven’t owned all systems. And it turns out I don’t miss those other consoles. The odd time I see something I’d like to play, like that Spider-Man game for example. But I have more games on one system than I could find the time to play so, really, there is no need for me to have another.

I can see that continuing into the next generation. I’ll have no more than one system and whatever one is the handheld one will win out and that’s usually Nintendo. So I have no PS4 or XBox One to say goodbye to and I can’t see me giving a big hearty welcoming wave to whatever is next.

Comment

No PS5 or Xbox Two??

It almost seems like you don't want to play endless 100 hour waypoint fests or endgame loot shooters. Very suspicious.

Comment

For the past 2-3 years, I've used the PS4 almost entirely for 2D indie games or arcade conversions like the Shot Triggers range. AAA titles just don't really interest me much right now.

I feel quite happy to continue that way for the foreseeable future, but I know that once the PS5 does arrive, I'll end up buying one within a few months of release. A couple of games is usually enough to make me buy a console based on the reasoning that I'll end up getting one sooner or later anyway!

I certainly won't be packing away the PS4 anytime soon, too many games like Ketsui that I like to be able to go back and play regularly.
                                Last edited by ZipZap; 18-03-2019, 23:11.

Comment

Working...
                                X