User Tag List

View Poll Results: When Will We Move On?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll

1 5.88%

6 35.29%

7 41.18%

1 5.88%
  • 2023 or Beyond

2 11.76%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I'm feeling it will be a gradual, constipated jump to VR, but the home tech will probly take about five years to get good enough, then society will be knackered.

Xbox One and PS4 will just stick around in further-enhanced versions to sell 4K tellies.

I've already set up Knob-Tech Industries (TM) as a Kickstarter, we deal in knobbly VR attachments for knobbly bits for people with knobbly souls (and faces).

Buy the shares, we ballin' on Wall Street.

It's also going to be affected by the price of components which will need to fall in practically freefall speeds to make a new, worthy gen of consoles market viable within 18-24 months. PS5 has to launch by November 2020 or it'll be a longer gen than last gen by default.

By that measure, I'm assuming the next consoles will spitball GTX1080 levels whilst PCs will have moved on a bit further

I doubt we'll see a round of next gen systems until 7nm manufacturing for the CPU/GPU/APU is mature enough for good yields. The last gen was long and didn't seem to harm the platform holders profits. With development cycles for games getting longer we're still a good way from seeing the One and PS4 maxed out. The refresh consoles could actually end up extending this generation somewhat as well.

This gen is a piss take, I’m past caring and buy very few modern games these days, maybe a couple a year. Things like the PS4 Pro and One X can do one, I’m not going to ‘upgrade’ a home console just the same as I don’t feel the need to buy into every incremental step up on my phone. Once that becomes fully acceptable to the public, what’s the point in console gaming any more over PC gaming? At least PC gaming is honest in what it is as regards specs. Utter bollocks. I might just skip next gen altogether, so this one can go on as long as it wants for me, my PS4’s primary use is on demand TV.

I'd be quite happy for this gen to go on for a long while yet. The days of massive leaps between console generations are long gone, and I've no desire to buy another machine, more pads etc.

I'm in agreement. We will be in the same boat with graphics being more important than framerate, anyway.

Also, to get the most out of a PS4 for a AAA game takes 4-5 years. I find it hard to believe game can be MUCH better. For the vast majority of developers, anyway.

I'm sure graphics will get much, much better than they are now, but it's going to take longer than it has in the past. It's one of the reasons I think Nintendo's move to mobile tech is a smart one. It's advanced much more quickly in the last 10 years than desktop technology.

Think this gen has been great and we seen massive leaps in GFX over what the 360 or PS3 could handle. Can see this gen going on for another 2 years before we started to see the new specs and getting ready for the new console.

Like the MS model and its legacy support in how all games and accessories will work on the new system Think this gen has been great and we have seen massive leaps in GFX over what the 360 or PS3 could handle and I've loved the games this gen too. Can see this gen going on for another 2 years before we started to see the new specs and getting ready for the new console.

Like the MS model and its legacy support in how all games and accessories will work on the new system

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Think this gen has been great and we seen massive leaps in GFX over what the 360 or PS3 could handle. Can see this gen going on for another 2 years before we started to see the new specs and getting ready for the new console.

Like the MS model and its legacy support in how all games and accessories will work on the new system Think this gen has been great and we have seen massive leaps in GFX over what the 360 or PS3 could handle and I've loved the games this gen too. Can see this gen going on for another 2 years before we started to see the new specs and getting ready for the new console.

That sounds like a fair prediction on when we'll hear about the next generation of consoles. We're now getting into the period where the devs are familiar with the technology and are pushing the consoles with the titles that are being announced. Even when the follow-up consoles get announced they will probably be another 6-12 months out anyway. Therefore we'll be looking at that late 2020 being the release window for Sony/Microsoft's new devices hitting the market (and I'd be fine with that). Hopefully their reveals present more than just an increased level of graphical grunt.

Dual releases of titles coming to the PS4/Xbox One as well as whatever the successors will be named for 1-2 years will happen and I'll be alright with that. No doubt they'll see an updated release Red Dead Redemption 2 given Rockstar's re-release of GTA V.
    Last edited by Paddy; 06-02-2018 at 02:48 PM.