User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PVM Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by speedlolita View Post
    Do CRTs have limitations?
    They are great apart from the black lines on the screen. And relatively poor blacks. And it’s easier to rotate a flat(ish) panel TV for tate action.

Agreed. I've decided to connect all my retro gear to a HD TV with composite video cables.

Quote Originally Posted by CMcK View Post
    They are great apart from the black lines on the screen. And relatively poor blacks. And it’s easier to rotate a flat(ish) panel TV for tate action.
    I think thats a matter of taste, a lot of games were designed with scanlines in mind to form the shape of objects, thicker the better for me bring them on!

I think he might have been joking Baseley09

Yeah. I still have 3 CRTs but if you’re not a scanline freak a SD plasma has got to be worth considering. I think using my old Ikegami monitor for tate games is what killed it and I wanted something that will hopefully survive being rotated. And of course light gun games need a CRT too.

It's probably best to leave the monitor off for a couple of hours after rotation.

I used the Ikegami exclusively for tate games. I left it for two days after rotating it before using it. Gave me good service for a couple of years but it started to display white lines from the left hand side of the scree which would clear after a wee while. Then one day it wouldn’t display a picture at all. I’m loathe to rotate any of my other CRTs now.

I guess in a candy cabinet it is only the tube that is being rotated, having certain chassis oriented as they would be in TATE may not be sustainable, as you've experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by CMcK View Post
    I used the Ikegami exclusively for tate games. I left it for two days after rotating it before using it. Gave me good service for a couple of years but it started to display white lines from the left hand side of the scree which would clear after a wee while. Then one day it wouldn’t display a picture at all. I’m loathe to rotate any of my other CRTs now.
    That sounds like an unfortunate coincidence to me. I think your chassis just needs a service tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by speedlolita View Post
    I guess in a candy cabinet it is only the tube that is being rotated, having certain chassis oriented as they would be in TATE may not be sustainable, as you've experienced.
    Most cabs I have owned the chassis rotates with the monitor, but the chassis designer would know that it would be used in various positions.