Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Graphics that almost seemed a generation beyond....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wreckless - pretty much a launch title on the OG Xbox but it looked incredible for the time. Really went to town with the shader effects.

Chronicles of Riddick - Xbox - used a lot of the same rendering techniques that became common on the 360 and PS3.

Batman - Famicom - the Sunsoft one could easily been passed off as a PC Engine title.

Halo 3 - the lightning was fantastic for the time.

Gears of War 3 / Judgement - Great tech and in Judgement’s case even better artwork to take advantage of it.

Those GC Stars Wars games - stunning work by Factor 5, great use of the TEV hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by chipsgravy View Post
      Another SNES title that shouldn't be possible is Street Fighter Alpha 2. Apart from the loading times its an incredible achievement. Plus playing SF with a SNES pad just feels "right" to me.
      Yeah, people can debate the accuracy of the port all they want but really, it was fantastic. Hard to believe it could even be done to a reasonable degree.

Comment

Monster Hunter World

Comment

Halo ce Xbox.
          Riddick Xbox.
          MGS2 ps2.
          Gran turismo 3 ps2.
          Rogue squadron GC.
          Luigis mansion GC.

Comment

From the games mentioned so far I think the ones I'd agree with would be:

Donkey Kong Country
            Gran Turismo 4
            Star Wars Rogue Squadron II
            Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
            Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions

Definitely feeling the bell curve of advancements now though, there's absolutely nothing from the current gen that has evoked the same feeling though the PS4 exclusives are starting to push things along nicely for the hardware. Suppose that's the nature of slowed hardware advancement.

Comment

Some good shouts here, god of war a day the first halo.

I'll add tekken 3 on ps1.

Comment

The Dreamcast delivered moments way beyond ...

The world of Shenmue looked incredible. Not just in terms of detail and solidity, but the way it was layered made it feel like a true three dimensional district (compare it with walking around in a game like GTAIII, slightly unfair comparison maybe, but it's on another level entirely). I remember the first time I went down a set of steps on my first trip into town and the environment ahead shifted in such a realistic manner. Definitely felt a generation ahead of what was around at the time.

Soul Calibur was another stand-out. The graphics were just immaculate, at distance or zoomed right in they were super smooth ... and some the backgrounds looked almost like photos at the time.

Street Fighter III W-Impact. Okay, this was more a 'wow, the next gen has arrived' moment ... but the animation in the game just blew me away. This was the next level of Street Fighter. One of the prettiest 2D games ever made IMO.

Comment

Good picks, definitely agree with the dc that was pretty much an entire console that felt a generation ahead when it was on form.

Comment

Shenmue does feel remarkably realistic considering its age. Ryo's deliberate pace (partially due to the archaic tank controls, but also his animation) and the camera positioning contribute, I think.

Comment

I'm thinking many people need to go back and play Gran Turismo 3 here. Really don't think 4 looks any better.

Comment

Wreckless/double steal really blew me away for the original Xbox. Those particle effects...wow

The first halo was another wow moment. Especially the level ‘silent cartographer’ and the beach landing

Thought Tekken tag team was a smashing looking game for its time, for the jpn ps2

Comment

Slightly left field but I was amazed by Vectorman on the MD as a kid. Those 3D effects really set it apart.

In more recent times, Oblivion on 360 (although that might be more of a 'the next gen has arrived' moment). Absolutely blew me away.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            Soul Calibur was another stand-out. The graphics were just immaculate, at distance or zoomed right in they were super smooth ... and some the backgrounds looked almost like photos at the time.
                            I seem to remember the Venice stage being pretty immense.

Comment

Is Soul Calibur the first time a game game to a home console from arcade and actually looked better?

Comment

[MENTION=13863]speedlolita[/MENTION] they're both Ps2 games. I'm not sure what point you're making? Unless you meant 4 and 5?

Comment

Working...
                                X